Crates

Guest greynewb

Guest greynewb

My greyhound Rescue recommends that I get a crate that is 48"L x 36"H but as of now I have only found crates that are 48"L x 33"H. Where do you guys buy your crates if you get them online? And do you also have this 36" crate?

I bought one on ebay from Dave's Soda and Pet City. Also, try Craig's list for a used crate.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest greynewb

Thankyou for your replies. Do you know if the cages you have are the standard 33" tall ones or the 36" tall ones? The rescues around here really insist on you getting the 36" crate.

Guest GreyFan09

Try the Classifieds or Craigslist for used crates. I got a large 48" x 36" crate that was like new for $40.00 on Craigslist. It retailed in the store for $125.00.

My greyhound Rescue recommends that I get a crate that is 48"L x 36"H but as of now I have only found crates that are 48"L x 33"H. Where do you guys buy your crates if you get them online? And do you also have this 36" crate?

It really depends on the size of the dog you are getting. The dog should be able to exit the crate without hitting their back, keeping in mind that the top of the door is a few inches lower than the top of the crate, and be able to stand erect inside. I have crates of varying heights although if you can afford it, the bigger the better. I got my crates on ebay for a very reasonable price and I managed to find the ones that have 2 doors,w hich gives you more options for where you set the crate up.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest IrskasMom

I am suprised your Rescue Group does not have one to loan you .You might need it only for a few Days/Weeks.Babygates are good for confining your Dog in an Area.

Guest hlpnhounds

I've bought all of my metal crates from Blaine's Farm & Fleet. My 48X33 crates along with a bolstered sherpa liner for the bottom---just under $120 !! and they are collapsible too ! I have even found them on sale occasionally for less than $90 ! :couchjump

I always recommend them for new adopters. I tell them to save the $$ they would have spend on the crate and buy a couple of collars instead. :whisper

Guest Harry702

Frankly, I find it a little strange that the rescue group is insisting on 48x36... my understanding is that 48x33 is the standard (the "giant" crates are 54x35 or 36). I've never had a problem fitting a greyhound in our 48x33 inch crate... and the smaller females fit well into the 42" version. Granted, we've never had a 90+ pounder stay with us... but we have had a big male or two.

Maybe it's an error in translation? I purchased both of our crates (48x33) online by searching for the best deals. Both were approximately $100 with shipping free or included.

Guest LindsaySF

Frankly, I find it a little strange that the rescue group is insisting on 48x36... my understanding is that 48x33 is the standard (the "giant" crates are 54x35 or 36).

48"L x 36"H (or 48"x35") used to be the standard large-sized crate, then all the manufacturers started shrinking them and making them shorter. Now it is common to see only 33" and 32" high. I prefer the 35" high, some males (like Teagan) really don't fit in the shorter crates.

The Midwest Giant crate (which shows a Great Dane in the pic) is actually 45" high.

To the OP, go to Ebay and look up the vendor Value Crate. I have a 48"L x 35"H folding crate with 3 doors from them. Great price ($99 plus free shipping) and it came in just a few days. :)

~Lindsay~

Guest Chiieddy

You can try PetEdge too, but unless you live in MA or NV you'll have to mail order from http://www.petedge.com. I don't think they sell any 36" in height, but our Mackie is happy in hers (and currently flopped on her side snoozing with the door open). You may want to call the rescue and confirm the new standard height is just fine.

My rescue group had a size of crate listed on their paperwork; but I assure you, they did not come measure it!

The crate I got was on eBay, has two doors, and it only cost about $40, and the shipping was another $45, but that is still WAY cheaper than any pet store around!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My rescue group had a size of crate listed on their paperwork; but I assure you, they did not come measure it!

The crate I got was on eBay, has two doors, and it only cost about $40, and the shipping was another $45, but that is still WAY cheaper than any pet store around!

That's it, I'm sending a volunteer over right now. Oh wait, you don't crate anymore... ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest happygrey

We just got one from Petco for about $119. The box had a picture of a Great Dane sitting in it and it says it's for dogs up to 110 pounds.

It's 48" L X 30" W X 32" H. Our male 70 pound grey fits in it with no problems turning around or anything. He's about 28-29 inches at the shoulder. Mind you, we've had him home for almost 3 weeks before buying it. We got it just so we can leave him home alone this weekend for a while when we have to go out. We work from home so one of us is around almost all of the time. We're velcro owners. :lol

Guest LindsaySF
The box had a picture of a Great Dane sitting in it and it says it's for dogs up to 110 pounds.

The boxes on crates "lie". wink.gif They often show dogs much taller and advertise weights much larger than really should be in that particular crate. And at the end of the day the weight of the dog doesn't really matter, it's the height of the dog. (Very few Great Danes can stand erect in a 32"H crate).

It's 48" L X 30" W X 32" H. Our male 70 pound grey fits in it with no problems turning around or anything. He's about 28-29 inches at the shoulder.

If he's 29" at the shoulder how can he lift his head in a 32"H crate? His head must be more than 3 inches higher than his shoulder area, so his head would hit the top.

No offense to anyone here, and I'm not picking on you HappyGrey smile.gif, it's just a pet peeve of mine when I see dogs in crates that are too small. The dog should be able to stand completely up and turn around, and they shouldn't have to duck too much to fit in the door. Some people don't think the height matters as much, they will say their dog sleeps all day anyway, but would you want to be hunched over all day?

People are always posting about separation and crate anxiety, but when you see the tiny crates they have the dogs crammed into it all makes sense. The crates at the track (48"x48") are enormous in comparison. Good for the OP's adoption group for insisting on the taller crate. (FYI, I am a huge advocate of crating and I use crates and ex-pens on all my own dogs and fosters).

~Lindsay~

Guest Imonthemove

I agree with crating and ex- penning. My greyhound lives in a 4ft tall ex pen; complete with a cool cot and snoozy bed. There is plenty of room for her raised food and water bowl and she still has room to stand up off her bed. If I have a dog that happens to have little accidents or one I am worried about ruining the carpet I cut a heavy tarp to fit under the pen. The first day or two of crating her she cried a little we have never had a full blown panic attack. I limit the amount of time they spend in confinement, and even crate them at intervals while I am home. That way they are not being dumpped in their crates only when I am leaving the house. Crating/ confining this way has worked for me, I have never experienced some of the horror stories I have heard from others in regards to separation/ crate anxiety with my own dogs. It works for dogs I have dogsat for who already have crating issues as well. Good luck with your new hound :-)

This might come too late but why not try borrowing one from another greyhound owner or someone in your group who isn't using theirs? You might not need it or might want it for a few weeks.

We bought a huge crate for Emmet and discovered very quickly that he didn't need it. When we brought Martin home, we never used it. Both of our guys do well with baby gates. They never needed crating for house training or behavior. We leave the crate in the basement in case someone needs it--last dog was a Great Dane in our neighborhood.

Guest isntitgreyt

I got 2 out of 3 of my crates from Craiglist and only paid around $30.00 for each and they are 48" x 33" and will fit a large male if needed. The 3rd one I got from PetSmart.

Guest 4dogscrazy

I agree with the larger size crates for dogs, try to find the biggest you can. I have the 48x30x32 (or close to that) that I got from my adoption group made by midwest. It is a good sturdy crate, and my biggest dog, a 70 pound male, is fine in it. He doesn't have to stoop at all to get into the door. Recently I wanted to get another one that size for my smaller female (around 65 pounds but tall) and I went to petco to purchase it. Got it home and out of the box, holy flimsy! It cost me around 130 and I was NOT impressed. The metal is about 1/2 the thickness of the other one. Thankfully she is not excitable or bouncy in the crate, basically just goes in there to sleep. I can tell you that my SA dog bent the bars on her smaller crate (one size down, also made by midwest) when she was having a panic attack. If she would have been in this flimsy crate I have no doubt she would have wounded herself, it's so flimsy I could bend it up with one hand. She is no longer crated, but that's another story. :) I still crate my two young dogs, I just feel it's safer with multipules, plus the two youger guys love their crates. Next time I look for a crate, I will try to find one that's really sturdy and will not be going back to petco for one!