Remembering Millicent Smith

Guest SueG201

Guest SueG201

I Have been thinking of Millicent Smith and missing our weekly phone calls to each other, she was a sighthound guru

and I was proud to be her friend, she lost her battle with lung cancer a few yrs ago, bu\t i was wondering if her greyhounds and whippets are still alive???

Guest kellybrown

Hazel is who lived with Millicent for a while. She comes all the way from Tennessee to Asheville for our fun runs. I moved away in July, so I haven't seen her since the summer. The last I heard, everyone was still alive. I will have to ask another friend of mine, she may know how the dogs are doing.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I was thinking of Millicent not too long ago. And Hazel sure was an angel on earth.

Hazel surely was (is).... funny, I was just looking through the remembrance album I got when Millicent died. I was fortunate to be part of the online support group for the last 8 months or so of her life :(

I never got to meet her in person, which I deeply regret. But we emailed a lot and talked on the phone and we were going to try to meet.... at the next Dewey. I'd love to know how Hazel is, and also Millicent's Mom, Helen. I believe that one of Millicent's brothers has also since passed away. So hard to lose your children... I'll look forward to hearing what people find out.

Guest kellybrown

Here is a picture of Hazel and her husband Frank. This was in August 2007. She is in the white t-shirt with her hands on her hips and her husband is in the black hat. Millicent did have a brother pass away, and then her mom also had cancer, but I don't know if she is sill alive.

1285.jpg

I remember her struggle. And the pictures of that wonderful head of hair she had. She was a lady and one who loved her hounds, big and small. I think of her often along with some of the other members we've lost over the years.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for posting this. I was just thinking about Millicent the other day. How sad that her brother passed away too. She was an amazing person.

Jen

Thanks for posting this. I, too, have been thinking of Millicent lately.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I often think of Millicent and remember the courage and fortitude she had in fighting the disease.

I also remember when Hazel left her home and drove all night to get to Millicent's home to be with her and help her and her Mom cope.

I remember a particular post about Millicent being held by Hazel all night when Millicent's pain became unbearable and I wept when I read it.

For me, It was one of the most memorable threads I have ever followed on the Grey Talk Forum.

Hazel and I send Xmas cards to each other.

She moved close to the same area that Millicent lived in after she died.

I will never forget the love and kindness Hazel had for Millicent and her Mother.

Rest in Peace Dear, beautiful Millicent.