Guess I Better Buy Some New Dancing Slippers

GreyPoopon

Zydeco Dancer!

GRAGraham01.jpg

(Photo is from June '06; colours are a bit strong.)

This is quite a departure for me. In fact, if I'd managed to get the photo I wanted, the title of this thread would have been "One of These Things is Not Like the Others". There are three differences, of which two are visible in the pics.

One of them is fairly apparent here (Tally middle and Jessie right):

GIntro01.jpg

Both are here, although you'd need a magnifying glass see one of them (Jessie to the right):

GIntro02.jpg

Both are obvious here (it was cold today and the poor dog just wanted to go back in):

GIntro03.jpg

Got your choices ready?

The differences are....

1. No stripes,

2. Dangly bits, and

3. (the non-visible one) Younger.

I'm supposed to stick to white-faced fuzzy-butted brindle girls born in the year between my oldest (Perry) and youngest (Edie). He's a white-faced fuzzy-butted red fawn boy born almost a year too late (actually the same day as Tally but a year later). So of the five key characteristics, he has only two (fuzzy butt and white face).

Oh well.

My Story:

The plan was to let the pack shrink gradually. I loved having eight, but when one needed special care--as was true for over nine months (March '09 to January '10)--it was too time-consuming and exhausting.

But not three weeks after I lost Piper, I started to forget about the extra care. The pack was shrinking way too soon and way too fast. I found myself wondering if I could adopt one of the seniors recently mentioned on GT. Then I had a look at the available broodies at an organization that will adopt dogs to Canada. While I was mulling over how to arrange local support in case the dog was a bad fit or a cat zapper, I was reminded about a senior boy (9 1/2) who was back at a nearby kennel for the third time.

His Story:

Zydeco Dancer ran his last race when he was just over 5 1/2. He arrived at GRA Canada as "Dancer" in June of '06. He was adopted fairly soon. After about 2 1/2 years--Winter '09--he ended up back at GRA as "Apollo". After a bit of TLC, he was adopted again. This time, he lasted about 9 months. In December, he was returned to GRA. He'd been back for almost two more months of TLC when I started considering him.

Our Story:

I called Bill of GRA and asked if Apollo was still available. Yes. Would he fit? Long pause. He probably would. I asked about the apparent lack of enthusiasm. Bill was just wondering if he had any info on cat safety. He said he'd look at his files. Later, I called and left a message about when I could make the 90 minute drive.

On Thursday February 11, I went to GRA to pick up Apollo. "Apollo" didn't work for me as a call name, and after a couple of impermanent placements he needed a fresh start, so I decided to change it. I thought about reverting to "Dancer", but he seems a bit big and un-Dancer-like (you should see him trying to go down stairs), so now he's Graham.

When we got home, he met The Other Two (Jessie and Tally), and went for a short walk with them. Then he met The Core Four (Perry, Minnie, Betsy, and Edie), and went for a walk with them. He walked into the house, let me wipe his feet, glanced at one of the kitties, went into his crate, and immediately laid down.

He is perfectly happy in his crate--even when the door is open, he prefers to stay there. Out of it, he's a bit worried. He's started to relax on walks, and is showing a lot of enthusiasm about them (up and ready to go when I let him out, waving tail, even a few happy snaps). He was a very good boy at the vet clinic on Friday, where he met his new vet and stayed for a while to have a bath. He's starting to learn his new name and some basic commands; he starts school on Thursday.

So far, he's been a true gentleman. I know there's a goof in there somewhere--I'm seeing signs of it already--but he's going to need some time to relax and realize that he's home for good.

That's enough blather. Let's see some more pics!

On the dog beds:

GIntro04.jpg

With Tally, just about 5 hours after they met. He didn't even flinch when she laid down butt-to-butt:

GIntro05.jpg

In his safe space:

GIntro06.jpg

Starting to fall asleep:

GIntro07.jpg

Sorry about the blur here--I just love the expression in his eyes:

GIntro08.jpg

Relaxing:

GIntro09.jpg

In my office today. We'd been doing a bit of training:

GIntro10.jpg

Welcome Home Graham!

:yay:confetti:yay:confetti

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Welcome home Graham! Congratulations buddy, wait until you relax a bit and really figure out where you landed. You are a very lucky young man!

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest vahoundlover

You broke all the rules on this onerofl.gif I LOVE it! Your going to enjoy having a fella and a handsome one at thatwub.gif

confetti.gif Congratulations and Welcome Home Graham!!confetti.gif

GreyPoopon, you are a SNEAKY individual!

He's very handsome, and it looks like he's fitting in nicely. Can't wait to hear how he does at school, and what he gets up to as he settles in.

Congratulations to you and Graham!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Wow...this is so wonderful. I heard he was missing his last family while waiting for a new home so this is so heartwarming. You are a very special angel. A bunch of us were hoping he'd find a good home. I can't wait to share the good news with our group.

Congratulations :confetti :confetti

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

What do the girls think of him?

They thought he was pretty interesting. And he needed to be checked again after he had his bath. :P

So far, it's been going well. Things may be a bit more entertaining when he decides to venture forth.

Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Guest PhillyPups

:confetti WELCOME HOME HANDSOME GRAHAM :confetti

I am choked with emotion reading Graham's story. You will be the recipient of all the love and antics Graham has to offer. A goofy goober boy balances the females and keeps life in perfect order.

Graham, you found a piece of heaven on earth and will be loved and cherished for the awesome being we know you are!!

Can you tell I am happy and excited Graham and you found each other?

Congrats!!

He's gorgeous (and very very lucky)! Welcome home, Graham!

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

Guest MnMDogs

Congratulations!!! He's so handsome...but don't let him hear that you need a magnifying glass to see his boy parts... he may get a complex!

Enjoy your new addition. :)

What a sweetheart! Congratulations! Is it wrong that I want to call him Golden Graham? :lol

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Is it wrong that I want to call him Golden Graham? :lol

Not at all. :)

I suspect that once the goofy side appears, I'm going to be calling him Graham Crackers.