They Caught A Small Animal Last Night...

Guest GreyRabbit

Guest GreyRabbit

I know I just saw this on the forum somewhere but can't find it to re-read the responses so I'm posting!

Last night for their last turnout Ryan (our boxer/lab) and Cosmo (our new-2 weeks-retired racer) killed a small animal in the yard before my very eyes!!! I sent my bf to dispose of it, he said it was a mole and that it was whole and they coldn't have injested any of it. I saw Cosmo shaking it, but thought it was the football we have lying around out there, until I realized it was far too big and the enthuaism he had was at a level I had yet to see from him! I screamed NO and they both came running over to the door and left it in the yard.

But Cosmo has a scratch of sorts on his muzzle and a chunk of fur missing about the size of a kernel of corn. I disinfected it and have some Neosporin on it. We're going to the dr. tomorrow morning for an unrelated issue (possible UTI). So I'm obviously going to tell him and have him take a look at the muzzle, but I'm just wondering is this something that shouldn't wait until tomorrow?

Any advice is appreciated...I can still hear the poor thing screaming eek.gif And to think that the three of us had been sleeping on the couch together moments before...

Guest Energy11

Wow! Some morning you had! My Staggerlee caught and ate half of a RAT once :-(

The things to worry about are, obviously, infection, which you are addressing with the antibacterial ointment, (*vet might prescribe antibiotic if necessary for the puncture wound/cut). Rabies is another worry (*If yours are up to day on their Rabies, it isn't a big worry (*vet might want to give a booster Rabies, though). Lastly, parasites are always a concern when they eat or bit wild things. (Heartworm preventatives do have anti parasitics in them, and Iverhart MAX, one for tapeworms). I'd wait a week or two and take in stool samples, and of course, watch the stools for "worms sightings" in the meantime.

Everything should turn out fine. Poor little mole, but, the dogs were acting on instinct.

Guest greymama002

Ruffie discovered a mole on a walk once and it was that earslitting screaming that alerted me! Luckily, he hadn't latched onto it yet and somehow I managed to steer all three dogs away. The poor little thing scurried off! I hope he made it. Ruffie is quirky- he never plays with stuffed toys,(runs away & ducks), but rodents, frogs, snakes, large insects- look out for the pouncer!

Sounds like you have gotten Cosmo well taken care of for now & I would mention to the vets, just in case. Good luck with your adventurous Cosmo!

Edited by greymama002

Moles & Rabbits have the most horrifying scream when they are attacked, you can hear it in the house. My cat Holly has caught & brought to me, baby rabbits who have vocal cords the size of a buffalo when it comes to screaming. 

My greyhounds have never gotten sick from catching birds or rabbits, but my norwegian elkhound Hooter died from ingesting a dead animal, coming down with pancreatitus. We had gone on a run Thanksgiving morning & he & the female elkhounds found a dead animal, couldn't tell what it was & they had rolled on it & eaten part of it before I got to them. 

Since you're already going, I would mention it also. Keep us posted. Happy Valentine's Day :beatheart

Last weekend, my boys caught a rabbit. I am always first concerned about fleas and intestinal worms, so they get Frontlined and Interceptored if they catch something.

A couple years ago, Manero caught a squirrel. The dang thing scratched him on the top of the nose. I cleaned it up, and applied triple-antibiotic ointment. Manero simply felt sorry for himself. It healed without incident, but left a lovely white scar on the top of his nose, in a spot that should have been black. I was showing him the following weekend! I tried Sharpie to touch it up, but it was the wrong shade of black. I bought some cheap black mascara, touched it up, and went into the ring. The first show of the weekend, Manero too Best of Breed over a special (for two points), the second day, he took BOB again, also over a special, to finish his championship! So no, we did not have ill effects here! :lol

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Milky Way killed a huge rat 7 years ago. In the accident Milky Way was bitten by the rat at 4:30am in the morning. I called the e-vet and he suggested I wait until my normal vet opened at 7am as long as I could get the bleeding to stop, if I could not get the bleeding to stop then he suggested I bring him in. I was able to get the wound to stop bleeding pretty quickly. I stayed up with him all night and we were at our vets door at 7am, the end result for us was 11 stitches.

Edited by kickchick2000

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc