Liquid Nsaid?

RobinM

I can pill a dog. Or so I thought. Elsie is impossible to pill. Totally impossible. I can't do it. DH can't do it and we can't do it together.

I am not going to tie her up and pry her mouth open after I chase her around the house for 1/2 hour.

What if any liguid NSAIDs are there? I can not put it in her food. if there is a lump or bump in her food, she will walk away. I can not put it in cheese. She does not like yogert and all the other goodies to hide pills in.

No NSAID tonight.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest bigorangedog

Isn't Metacam an NSAID? Have to look that up.... Can you crush a Deramaxx, dissolve it in a T of chicken broth, and squirt it into her mouth with a syringe?

Metacam. Girls tell me it's tasty. Or the generic meloxicam. Not sure if it's as palatable.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

*I* believe meloxicam (liquid) smells like dead mice. Or asafoetida (sometimes used in Indian cooking) gone bad, if it's possible for asafoetida to go bad and smell any worse than it already does. I splashed some (meloxicam, not asafoetida) on myself one day and literally had to take a shower to get rid of the stench -- a droplet had landed in my hair.

'Course, if it smells *that* bad, a dog is bound to eat it :lol . As a precaution, tho, I always mixed it with a little yogurt.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest bigorangedog

Yup, it's an NSAID. The vet techs at my vet office always say it smells like ferrets. And they are totally right-on. I never tried to get a dog to lick it up, just used the syringe to squirt it in back of the throat.

*I* believe meloxicam (liquid) smells like dead mice. Or asafoetida (sometimes used in Indian cooking) gone bad, if it's possible for asafoetida to go bad and smell any worse than it already does. I splashed some (meloxicam, not asafoetida) on myself one day and literally had to take a shower to get rid of the stench -- a droplet had landed in my hair.

'Course, if it smells *that* bad, a dog is bound to eat it :lol . As a precaution, tho, I always mixed it with a little yogurt.

Hummm. A dead mouse? I don't know what a dead mouse smells like nor do i want to know what a dead mouse smells like!!! :blink:

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

I also go with Metacam - I buy it in massive quantities because Drake gets a 70 pound dose once a day in his dinner.

It smells to me like it has honey in it, and one of our vets told me that if I keep it in the fridge it will actually be good for longer than the expiration date (not that it has been a problem for us with the way we go through it). It isn't the nicest smell in the world, but it isn't awful either.

It works very well, although if you use it long term you'll want to look into giving something to buffer the belly - we give one 20mg Famotidine tablet daily sometime before dinner.

I add a bit of water to Drake's kibble when I give him Metacam because I"m sure he gets it all that way when he slurps up the juices, instead of if it sticks to the bottom of the bowl a bit because it is a little sticky (he won't go licking it up off the bottom after finishing his kibble - it isn't that yummy, he says).

He doesn't turn up his nose at the food with the liquid Metacam at all.. and it REALLY helps him.

I hope it helps in your house too,

FL

Shadow always liked the liquid Metacam. It's sweet, and if I started squirting it in his mouth he always lapped the rest as it came out and would lick the syringe when it was gone. So whatever it tastes like, they must like it!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

To me it smells like someone has an anal gland problem or maybe was near a skunk. :sick

If you can pill your dog give meloxicam (human pills) instead. It's much less expensive than the Metacam form and doesn't stink. :lol

It's good stuff in both forms.

Interesting analysis os what it smells like:

Dead mouse, honey, skunk, & BUTT.

Sounds like it will fit into our house of smells just perfectly. :lol

Vet is leaving it at the desk for us today.

Thanks all!

Metacam requires bloodwork. Should do baseline if you don't have recent values, then again in a few weeks to insure there is no adverse reaction to it. Need to ck kidney and liver values IIRC.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04