Newbie... And Trying To Find A Name For Our Boy!

Guest MadeItToTheMoon

Guest MadeItToTheMoon

So my boyfriend and I finally adopted a greyhound! It'll be another couple of weeks until he comes home, but we're trying to get everything ready for him. We're pretty confident on everything- except for his name and his coat. We're thinking Oliver might be a good name for him, but we're definitely open to suggestions. Also, we're unsure about the coat that we should buy him. From what I understand, he needs to gain a little more weight (they told us that his last 2 ribs should still be showing), so I'm not quite sure what to do about the coat. Should we get one that fits him now, or get one that he can grow into?

Of course, I'll show you some pictures of him to help out:)

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1417777 (His greyhound data page)

lightningroad2.jpg

lightningroad6.jpg

lightningroad5.jpg

Guest wmlcml6

Your new boy is so handsome! Congratulations.

Even if he gains a few pounds, it won't make a difference in his coat size, in my opinion. The length and size around his chest are the most important measurements.

Good luck and welcome to GT!

Guest EmilyandSioux

I always think one day they will do something that will tell you what to name them. Their personality will tell you what they want to be called. It may take a few days or a week but he will tell you. Two of the best greyhound friends we had was named Molasses and his son was named Fiddler. They both fit their names. Also if you want to put weight on him give him canned pumpkin. It works well to get them used to a food and the weight just comes. They do learn what the can opener sound is though and think it should be pumpkin all the time.

Guest 3greysinPA

Welcome to GT!! :wave and Congratulations :pinkele:clap ... I love the name Oliver... and what a handsome houndie :inlove he is... We look forward to hearing all about Oliver...

He is very handsome. It would be hard to come up with something from his racing name "Lightning Road" so I add another vote for Oliver. Welcome and congratulations!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest PhillyPups

:wave Welcome to GT and congratulations.

Do you know what he is being called now? That could be a name he is used to. I also like the name Roadie, which is a deritive of his racing name.

Personally I think his weight looks good, he is built well, not looking skinny to me. Greyhound weight was hard for me to get used to seeing as most of my prior dogs were labs, which is a totally different build. :lol

Guest MadeItToTheMoon

He's currently being called Lightning, but doesn't respond to it. Lightning really doesn't seem to fit his personality- we're going back and forth between Oliver and James at the moment (thanks to GreytNut for the idea!) He should go into foster care in the next week, so we just need to provide his foster family with a name. He'll only be there for a week, so we figure that if it doesn't fit him well, then we can rename him once he gets home. But Oliver or James both seem like they would be awesome matches for him:)

Congrats on the soon-to-be new adoption! He's beautiful, and has such a sweet looking face! I love regal names for greyhounds, I'd even call him "Oliver Jamison" :lol ...but Oliver suits him well!! :)

Guest sweetpea

Oh, I had a list of really cool obscure but meaningful names for my girl.

(You know, the kind you have to explain to people how you came up with it...sheeesh what a dork :blush)

And then I met her.

Her racing name was Sweet Tart Drive, she didn't really have a call name, but as soon as she walked in the door

she was Sweetpea. No explaining necessary!

Buzzy

who really likes Oliver too

Holy moly, that is one handsome boy! :beatheart

I love the name Oliver for him!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest Frankendog

He is absolutely gorgeous!!! Oliver is a greyt name, my friend has a black standard poodle named Oliver :rolleyes: James and Logan are nice too (my dad is James :) ).

I am sure whatever you choose will be fine but here are a few from my list when we got Frankie (who started out as Frankie and ended up as Frankie mostly because our family of 4 couldn't agree on a name! In the end he makes a great Frankie I think!)

Here are 10 names I like: Baron, Basil, Bruin, Comet, Cairos, Fergus, Storm, Titan, Wrigley, & Winston.

Congrats!!!

Edited by Frankendog

Guest bluefawn

Congratulations and welcome to GT!! Oliver is a greyt name! It suits him :) My only boy was named Ultra Perfect (his registered name), but I called him Evan. He had that same calm, dignified look :) and that name just came to me one day when I was out walking him. He responded to it and it stuck. As others posted, he will "slide into" a name once you get him home :):welcome2

Guest MaxwellEdison

I have always let the dog sort of tell me what his name is. I adopted a German Shorthair from a local pound. He had been taken in as a stray and so they had no info on him. I didnt really have a name in mind, but as I opened the door to let him in the car, he just sort of sauntered in, settled on his butt on the seat and said "Ok, lets go home" He was just so calm and cool about it, I was stunned. And the name that came to me was... Dave. It suited him perfectly. And as for Max, we tried a couple of other names- I have names Id like too (Richard, Phillip, Niles)- but they didnt suit him, hes just not that snooty. I guess Im suggesting you should be patient, and let his personality come to you and then youll know. Good Luck! Max and Jerry