Which Traits (If Any) Are Grey-Only Traits?

Guest happygrey

Guest happygrey

I've been wondering about this...are there some traits that you've only ever seen in grey or lurchers? I've read that smiling and giving you a gentle bite are exclusively grey traits. (However, my guy has yet to do either.) But there are some others that seem common in greys but I've not seen in other dogs, such as circling round and round and round before lying down and digging at a bed to get it "just so." I've also never seen another type of dog roaching.

Does anyone know if there are traits or behaviors that are truly found only in greys?

Nope...smiling is common in many breeds. All of my Borzoi smile. Cooper usually smiles submissively, where Manero does so when he's happy. Indigo and Henley smile when the right spots are scratched! Many family members smile, too!

They roach all the time, too. I have several pictures of Indigo and Henley upside down!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Quirks- yes! "traits" not so much!

Other than medical.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest GrayceNDanger

Yup my weim circles, digs, and roaches. She also smiles-see my signature picture :colgate

My weim has a ton of "weim traits"..like sleeping under the covers with her head on the pillow. I know some other breeds do that too but its a very common weim trait.

Danger's roo-ing is the first dog I've ever had that does that. He "roos" when I come home from work. I love that :wub: :wub:

Guest GreyFan09

My buddy's Irish Setter used to smile. The first time I saw him do this I thought he was bearing his teeth to bite me. I've also had German Shepherds do the nesting thing in their bed too.

Guest FlirtyMyrtle

My crossbreed smiles, circles and sleeps on his back. My Lurcher digs manically at her bed before flopping somewhere else! She sleeps in the classic "Superman" position, on her back with one arm straight up in the air! She also tries to pluck my husband's stubble if he hasn't shaved with her front teeth!

Edited by FlirtyMyrtle

I've been wondering about this...are there some traits that you've only ever seen in grey or lurchers? I've read that smiling and giving you a gentle bite are exclusively grey traits. (However, my guy has yet to do either.) But there are some others that seem common in greys but I've not seen in other dogs, such as circling round and round and round before lying down and digging at a bed to get it "just so." I've also never seen another type of dog roaching.

Does anyone know if there are traits or behaviors that are truly found only in greys?

No, I think all of the above are general 'dog' traits, more common in some breeds than others, but seen in many, if not all. In fact, before I had greys, I'd have said smiling was seen more in terriers than any other type of dog, but there you go. :lol

Chattering? Well, you have me wondering. I must admit I've not seen it in another breed, but then most of the dogs I came across when I worked with animals were under stress to some degree, so I wouldn't have seen the 'happy dog' side to them.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

the only difference between the greys and other breeds that i know and have had are there style of sleeping on dog beds....

HALF OFF! and those necks and heads must be on the cold floor.

any other sensible dog curls up and stays on the bed.

That was what I was going to say....I have never seen my other breeds do that but every greyhound does!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Well, I can tell you for a fact it isn't true that smiling and gentle bites are exclusively grey traits!

We had the smiling-est English Setter in the world when I was a kid, and my old dog was a pit bull mix, and he was a nibbler!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I've never had another breed that goes "shopping". This means taking toys, household items, or my personal belonging back to their bed or crate.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Borzoi and Salukis roach! I can say that from personal experience! I have had a Saluki that smiled. Goodness, that was adorable. I've never had a Greyhound that did it, though!

My current Whippet roaches very rarely. But, I had one in the past that roached all the time.

I think it's safe to say these are traits of the true sighthounds! The best breeds :wub:

the only difference between the greys and other breeds that i know and have had are there style of sleeping on dog beds....

HALF OFF! and those necks and heads must be on the cold floor.

any other sensible dog curls up and stays on the bed.

That was what I was going to say....I have never seen my other breeds do that but every greyhound does!

Manero does that all the time. Naples, the Greyhound, almost never!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest scfilby

I've en other breeds smile, love bite, and roach, but I've never seen any other breed chatter.. also, both our greys do the playbow, copter tail, sideways look, growly bark thing when excited. I've never seen that combo in any other breed. Also, our greys back up, back out of tight spots. I think this is sighthound (but not greyhound) exclusive due to the extreme field of vision (240 degrees).

Guest FlirtyMyrtle

Reversing out of tight spaces... my lurcher does this, but my wannabe lurcher doesn't.

How about leaning? I've only ever known sighthounds do this, never any other breed. I even kew a grey called Lena because of her habit of leaning agaist people's legs whilst standing!

Guest bordermutts

Smush and Chopper will roach sometimes - usually when they are cuddling or want a tummy rub, but I've seen them do it on their own a couple of times. Smush will also do the sleeping half-off the dog bed thing, but it might just be because his bed is too small for him to really stretch out on. Harriet... well, she does not sleep on dog beds period, because that is below her ;) but sometimes she sleeps on the edge of the bed or couch and half of her will sort of slowly slide off and we have to catch her and put her back on :lol

Guest KennelMom

I don't think there are really any "greyhound only" traits or behaviors. Greyhounds are actually dogs after all. Hard to believe, I know :P

Grew up with a cocker that chattered and boarded lots of other breeds that leaned. Reversing out of tight spaces...seen lots of dogs do that too.