Renal Disease In Young Grey

Guest 2greytdogs

Guest 2greytdogs

Hi all,

I am not new to the forum but have not posted here in some time. Last February we adopted a wonderful Grey named Logan. He was 3 years old at the time and 7 weeks later was diagnosed with renal disease. He was losing weight, his coat was very thin and he was drinking lots of water, peeing in the house. His kidney levels were off the charts (even for a Grey) He was put on antibiotics and Hills k/d prescription food. He went back for a followup and his kidney levels had improved slightly. We kept him on the food and he gained weight (10lbs, that's how skinny he was!), his coat grew in thick and soft and he stopped drinking so much and peeing in the house. He will continue on the food and have his blood/urine checked every 6 months. His last check was October and his levels were near normal, not perfect but much better than before. So does anyone have a Grey who was diagnosed at a young age with renal disease? How are they doing? What was the prognosis? It really broke our hearts to find this out but he is a happy, lovable guy and doing very well right now. Thanks for any info.

Guest Energy11

Goldie was diagnosed with renal failure at four. I attribute this to her having a VERY BAD kidney infection, but, as they years have gone by, keep her on renal food (she loves Purina NF/hates KD), she has done REMARKABLY WELL! The last two times, her renal functions were TOTALLY NORMAL! Yes, this can be controlled. Good Luck with this! If Goldie can do it you can too! "-))

My Tawny, the grey before Brandi, came to us at age 7 with renal disease and lived five years with it. She went for acupuncture every 6 weeks and my holistic vet thinks this did prolong her life. She was on soft food, KD, for that entire time. Soft food because when we adopted her she only had two teeth. She had many many urine accidents in the house but it was just part of the "journey". I wish a long life for your grey. May not hurt to look into acupuncture. She was also on some chinese herbs but can't remember what they were (back in 2004).

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

I've had several with kidney disease, and one was dx very young. As long as we stuck to their diet(also KD) they all did very well.

It really broke our hearts to find this out

Hopefully you're more comfortable with this now as it truly is easily managed. Just keep an eye on the protein and potassium level in their diet. If you stick with the KD you're good to go!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

I've had several with kidney disease, and one was dx very young. As long as we stuck to their diet(also KD) they all did very well.

It really broke our hearts to find this out

Hopefully you're more comfortable with this now as it truly is easily managed. Just keep an eye on the protein and potassium level in their diet. If you stick with the KD you're good to go!

YEAH, look at Goldie! She is nine and all her kidney numbers are wonderfuL! SHE hates KD, but loves either Purina NF, or Royal Canin, Renal MP. She is "The Pack Princess," though! :-)

One thing I might say to do is check for protein in the urine---that often gets missed . Also, something else worth mentioning--anytime you see an acute rise in renal values you should always suspect lepto--there is now a quick pcr test that most labs are now running.

I would suggest a few things. One as all have said is diet. Prescription diets are important or home cooking. Due a urine test - Urine Protein Creatinine Ratio - this tells how much protein is in the urine and if possible, have the blood pressure checked - its quite often that high blood pressure goes along with kidney disease. Lastly, my best to you and Logan.

A bit different situation, but my Jaynie went into acute kidney failure following a suspected bad drug reaction. She is on Royal Canin's prescription food, and also on benazepril for her blood pressure. Over time her values, which like Logan's, were off the charts, have improved though she still has rather high creatinine and somewhat low urine specific gravity.

In addition to the prescription kibble I also give Jaynie a one-egg buttery omelet per day (no seasoning in egg, unsalted butter). Before doing that with your pup it would be best to check with your vet - eggs have very bio-available protein but are also somewhat high in phosphorus.

There are a couple of Yahoo groups for kidney dogs - you will be asked, when you join, to file blood and urine results. Here are the links:

K9kidneys:

http://pets.groups.y...p/K9KidneyDiet/

K9kidneydiet:

This all started with Jaynie last October, so I don't have a long term perspective, but so far agree with others that with good management and ongoing monitoring, things seem to be stable. No one would ever guess today, how very sick Jaynie was - she's a very active, happy, stuffie killing girl! We wish you and Logan nothing but the best.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Guest 2greytdogs

Thanks everyone for the replies. He is doing great, you would never know he has renal disease. He never has an accident, he is happy, goofy, very playful. Just an all around great guy. He will be 5 in July. We had a rough couple of years dog wise. We lost another Grey to a spinal tumor when she was almost 7. We had an adoption that did not work out and had to rehome the other dog. Finally we have this wonderful boy who gets along great with our Grey Cassie. We want him with us as long as possible! He goes in April for another blood/urine check and a dental.

I don't mean to side track this thread, but what would make you think Addisons?

Addison's is not common but it is commonly misdiagnosed as renal failure. The renal numbers go up, dog is given fluids & responds well but later has problems again. Whenever renal failure is suspected without a known cause it is logical to rule out Addison's. Looking at the sodium:potassium ratio is normally the first clue but a dog can have Addison's, more particularly atypical Addison's, without the Na:K ratio being out of range. So that is why I asked.

There are a couple of Yahoo groups for kidney dogs - you will be asked, when you join, to file blood and urine results. Here are the links:

K9kidneys:

K9kidneydiet:

Ditto! Great groups who offer a lot of combined knowledge & support.

For what it is worth, I had a guy who had proteinuria for 5+ years & diagnosed with CRF for 3+ years. First problems evidenced at 4 years old. We said goodbye just before he was 10 yo. He died with renal failure, not because of it.