Recovery Time For Soft Tissue Injury?

Guest smudgebear

Guest smudgebear

Hi,

I posted a couple of weeks ago about Shadow's bad fall in the backyard. Both the e-vet and our vet feel it's a sprain or strain since the x-rays were clear and showed no breaks, etc, and there weren't any clear indications of a neurological problem. He also had bruising and swelling at the time, although that has resolved. It'll be 3 weeks on Monday and I'd say he's about 98% better, but he does still favor the leg somewhat. The limp, for the most part, is barely detectable and other times it's more pronounced (i.e. he tends to be stiff when he first gets up from a nap, but usually he is able to walk it off...I also feel that the damp/cold weather has been a factor). We brought him to our vet for a follow up last week and he said that he appeared to be progressing nicely and that the limp would resolve over time. I'm not too concerned since he has been consistently improving and we figured it would be at least 2-3 weeks before he was back to normal. I'm wondering, though, how long it normally takes for this type of injury to fully heal based on other people's experiences? I know for people a bad sprain can sometimes take up to six weeks. Shadow will be 7 in April, so I'm guessing age could be a factor in healing time as well?

Shadow did have a nasty fall, didn't he! Based on my experience of myself, age is definitely a factor in healing time from this kind of injury. And we're having similar problems with our 7 y/o grey. Don't let him overdue it even if he seems to want to.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Sure, age will play a factor.

If you can, I would keep him from putting too much stress on it for as long as you and he can tolerate it. My experience with soft tissue stuff (but with myself and the dogs!) is that it always takes longer than you "think" it will!

Feel better Shadow!

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.