Perfect In The House, Terrified Outside

We've had Buffy since October 31. (figures- got a spooky girl on a spooky day :)) She was a back of the crate/had to crawl in to get her out kinda dog at the kennel.

She's been home 3-1/2 months. Her behavior in the apartment is fabulous. She shows NO fear. She's not timid, shy reserved with anybody or any dog. She's right up there at the door when the delivery guy comes with the pizza or the mailman comes with a package. People come over to visit and she's the first to greet them. She hops up beside them on the couch and snugs in with them as if she's known them for years.

Outside is a whole different ballgame.

Her tail is tucked so far up her belly that someone once commented "my your dog's um appendage is odd looking - so furry" :blink:

She will NOT walk if there is someone on the sidewalk

She will NOT walk if there is any garbage flying (rolling, bouncing) about on the street

She will NOT walk if she sees traffic headlights

She balks in going out of the apartment building - I've asked the doormen NOT to open the door for us as she won't pass them by

She literally shakes and trembles.

AND when we do get her to walk a bit she is constantly looking behind her - for what I don't know. Two steps - turns to look over her shoulder, one step turn, three steps turn you get the idea.

(Ive tried walking the boys behind her - she turns, we've tried walking her in back, no difference)

We've tried walking her alone and then with the pack. Two by two, or in threes.

This morning DH had to grab the "traffic handle" of the leash and literally PULL her along.

(My fear is that this will make her afraid of him - although she sleeps next to him in the bed and cuddles with him :rolleyes:)

Naturally we live in a highrise so walking is the only way out. (no pun intended)

I feel so bad for her - I wish I could make her understand that there is nothing to be afraid of.

I'm considering a lot of "alone training" with food bribes. Even just taking her into the lobby to sit for a bit and see the people coming and going.

I read in another thread about a hound terrified on walks someone suggested a complete blood work up - would that be recommended here too?

Any and all suggestions would be greytly appreciated!

Guest 4Irishgreys

We've had Buffy since October 31. (figures- got a spooky girl on a spooky day :)) She was a back of the crate/had to crawl in to get her out kinda dog at the kennel.

She's been home 3-1/2 months. Her behavior in the apartment is fabulous. She shows NO fear. She's not timid, shy reserved with anybody or any dog. She's right up there at the door when the delivery guy comes with the pizza or the mailman comes with a package. People come over to visit and she's the first to greet them. She hops up beside them on the couch and snugs in with them as if she's known them for years.

Her tail is tucked so far up her belly that someone once commented "my your dog's um appendage is odd looking - so furry" :blink:

She will NOT walk if there is any garbage flying (rolling, bouncing) about on the street

She balks in going out of the apartment building - I've asked the doormen NOT to open the door for us as she won't pass them by

AND when we do get her to walk a bit she is constantly looking behind her - for what I don't know. Two steps - turns to look over her shoulder, one step turn, three steps turn you get the idea.

(Ive tried walking the boys behind her - she turns, we've tried walking her in back, no difference)

This morning DH had to grab the "traffic handle" of the leash and literally PULL her along.

(My fear is that this will make her afraid of him - although she sleeps next to him in the bed and cuddles with him :rolleyes:)

Naturally we live in a highrise so walking is the only way out. (no pun intended)

I feel so bad for her - I wish I could make her understand that there is nothing to be afraid of.

I'm considering a lot of "alone training" with food bribes. Even just taking her into the lobby to sit for a bit and see the people coming and going.

I read in another thread about a hound terrified on walks someone suggested a complete blood work up - would that be recommended here too?

I have a new foster here that is the opposite. He was in another foster home for a long while, he was termed a spook.

Probably because of his behavior in the house, he wasn't taken out for walks, etc.

I don't know if I would term him a spook or not..but he is extremely shy and skittish...inside. Even when running loose in the barn would rather not be anywhere near anybody. In the house he has found the kennels and basically will only leave them when it's time to go out.

However once you put a leash on him he's great. I don't have a fenced yard here, so I have to walk the dogs on the road. Nothing seems to faze him. He hasn't given the traffic much more than a glance. He has seen the wild turkeys in the yard with a passing interest. The yappy ankle biters have been out running the fence line when we walk by without issue.

He's only been here since Sunday. He started pooping on leash by Tues. Started sniffing things on Wed. Peed on leash yesterday. He trots along to keep up if he's slowed down to look at stuff. Sometimes he will even forge ahead of Matt and Sonny. He has floppy ears so they don't really stand up, but you can tell if they could stand up they would be up.

That leash for him is like Sampson and his hair. Once your in the house...he's back in his kennel and will stay there until he sees me get my coat to go out again.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

Guest 4Irishgreys

I know just what you are going through. My Madison, who will be 11 next month, is the same way. I adopted her when she was 2. It took a year before I could go around the block on our walks without her trying to turn around and run home. I always walked her with the other 4 that I had. Besides being terrified of leaving my driveway and everything else, hats of any type were a big no-no for her. I use a harness on her since it is easier to control her and doesn't put pressure on her neck when she is trying to go home. She used to tuck her tail so far under it looked like she had no tail. All this said she still isn't comfortable on our walks but at least we can go farther than 1 block. In Madison's case it just took time. As you can see by her age it has been 9 years. At least Buffy doesn't have the problem in the house. Madison still barks and runs away from anyone who comes to the house. She is my watch dog.

Buffy may never be happy on walks but it should get better.

Shirley & Madison, Jasmine & Grady

I know just what you are going through. My Madison, who will be 11 next month, is the same way. I adopted her when she was 2. It took a year before I could go around the block on our walks without her trying to turn around and run home. I always walked her with the other 4 that I had. Besides being terrified of leaving my driveway and everything else, hats of any type were a big no-no for her. I use a harness on her since it is easier to control her and doesn't put pressure on her neck when she is trying to go home. She used to tuck her tail so far under it looked like she had no tail. All this said she still isn't comfortable on our walks but at least we can go farther than 1 block. In Madison's case it just took time. As you can see by her age it has been 9 years. At least Buffy doesn't have the problem in the house. Madison still barks and runs away from anyone who comes to the house. She is my watch dog.

Buffy may never be happy on walks but it should get better.

Shirley & Madison, Jasmine & Grady

Thanks Shirley

I do walk her in a harness (had to get a teeny wee one as she's only 50 lbs)

Sad to hear that Madison is still not comfy on walks.

And, yes, I know it's going to take a long time, poor girlie

Donna

Kingsley was/is somewhat like this he still, (after almost 5 years with us) looks over his shoulder all the time, and we often have to wait for a walker to pass us before he will continue on.

I think your idea of just hanging in the lobby some and doing some other out-and-about but low-key things is a good one. We have found if allowed to stand and wait-it-out for a few moments he often (not always) will come-around, and he does do better when the whole pack (another grey and my husband and I) are all together.

Not much advice, but wanted you to know you were not alone.

Kingsley also likes other dogs a lot, so always walks with other hounds well... have any friends who could come meet you right at your building to walk from there... show Buffy the world is not always so scary?

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Kingsley was/is somewhat like this he still, (after almost 5 years with us) looks over his shoulder all the time, and we often have to wait for a walker to pass us before he will continue on.

I think your idea of just hanging in the lobby some and doing some other out-and-about but low-key things is a good one. We have found if allowed to stand and wait-it-out for a few moments he often (not always) will come-around, and he does do better when the whole pack (another grey and my husband and I) are all together.

Not much advice, but wanted you to know you were not alone.

Kingsley also likes other dogs a lot, so always walks with other hounds well... have any friends who could come meet you right at your building to walk from there... show Buffy the world is not always so scary?

:) she walks pretty "ok" with Joe, so-so with Greta and bounces around Logan to the point where he gets annoyed.

We're going to the kennel tomorrow to do an adoption so we're going to bring her with us as an "outing" :)

One day at a time, I guess.

First :yay I'll see you tomorrow!

Second, I feel your pain. Jet was like that when we first got him, and he still isnt' great to walk. He's kinda like a low flying kite if you know what I mean? But, we don't have to walk him if he's really bad. Since that is n't an option, I'll ask Frank if he remembers anything special we did with Jet.

See you tomorrow!

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Donna, you may remember that Spirit came to me with a history of being very timid and way too frightened of people, etc. to race. He had really responded to lots of TLC at the racing kennel farm but was still skittish and afraid in new situations and very leery of men. I had his thyroid level tested because of his hugely flaky skin and indeed his thyroid level was quite low. As soon as the thyroid meds got on board I noticed subtle but distinct changes in his personality as well as his coat. He is currently not a dog I'd call skittish at all. He handles walks in very public areas like a champ and even lets men pet him.

It might be worth having Buffy's thyroid tested.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Sounds like Cash - after over two years she's now great in the house but not so much outside, even in the yard. It's getting better but its slow going with lots of setbacks. At least her freaking out periods are much shorter now than they used to be, and she recovers much faster when she's been scared.

Will she take treats at all when walking?? If so you can use them to reward the good, forward moving and looking behavior - or try to create it by holding the treat in front of her nose and walking forward. Is there any difference with or without a coat? Or using the collar instead of the harness? Cash will wear a harness but she acts like she doesn't know she has a leash on - she much more comfortable with that connection to her neck, I guess. Maybe try a coupler that can attach to both the harness and collar?

You could also try some Rescue Remedy or other anxiety support 20 minutes or so before going out.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hi,

It took Lexie over a year to get used to a school bus. She still looks back at every car that drives by..lol. It does take time. I praise her a lot. I will say bus.. bus and praise. It took awhile. I am a firm believer with time, praise and consistency they can improve. We had a trainer who told us "lexie could never be a therapy dog she is too nervous." I worked and worked with her and she has now been a therapy dog almost 2 years. :) Hang in there. Make a big deal about seeing things with praise and hugs.

ps. on garbage day , Lexie still thinks the "monsters" are going to sneak up on her...lol

💙💜💚💛❤️

I forgot how to put a pic in my signature. Please pm me if you can help. Thanks

As weather allows, it makes some sense to just hang out in areas where she's frightened -- the lobby, etc. Have some good treats along, and have a nice, cheerful code phrase -- "ooooh, look at that!" -- for harmless things. If she has a dog friend who will just lie down and have a nap in those situations, so much the better.

Some basic "obedience" can help, too -- start in your apartment and teach her to sit or shake hands or turn in a little circle; couple easy things that she can do anywhere. The point isn't so much for her to learn those things as for her to learn, and learn to enjoy, paying attention to *you*. Then work on doing the same in the hallway, at the dog park, in the lobby, at her best friend's house, etc. As she gets in the habit of paying attention / responding, you've got another tool you can use when she first notices something scary but before she zones out on you ......

Wouldn't be in a hurry to get her thyroid checked as stress can play havoc with those tests. Give her a good 6 months at home first, then if need be get a full panel (NOT just a T4) with fT4ed and TSH.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FlirtyMyrtle

I have worked on a similar problem (though exhibited through aggression) with my older dog. My advice would be to firstly rule out any possible medical issues. Once this is ruled out, work out whether your grey is food or toy orientated. I will assume that she is food orientated :P as most dogs are! To begin with you may have to do most of the work in your apartment and take it very slowly. Giver her a couple of really tasty treats, ie cheese, sausage, and make sure she is really relaxed/happy. Then pick up her leash. While you have it in your hand give her a few more treats. If she is still relaxed and happy clip her leash on, still giving her treats. Then take the leash off and treat her again. If she is toy orientated give her a little game with a toy kept specifically for this purpose and hidden at all other times to keep the novelty factor. Do this as many times as necessary until she is happy with the leash attached. You will probably have to break the act of taking her out for a walk into a lot of very small steps, ie, clipping on the leash, walking to the front door, opening the door without going out, going through the door etc. Treat her until she is happy with completing each step before moving to the next and if when you do move to the next step she is too scared to take the treat/play (a dog will not eat if they are too afraid)then just move back a step until she is happy again. It may take a long time or it may be fairly quick, dependant upon how fast she learns and how afraid she is. The trick is to go at a pace which she is comfortable with and don't be afraid to go back a few steps as this will only confirm that going out is a very good thing!

I hope this helps you as it did me.

Guest PhillyPups

Donna,

Isn't she Mac's sister? He was the same way. Lois leash and harness walked him in her back yard until we all arrived in July. With him it took time, a lot of dogs (i.e. my crazy pack) and one crazy yellow lab ;) to get to where he is now. I thought of this, because it could be genetic. Want to meet in Utica and see if it works?? :lol

Surprisingly, The Queen was the same way on walks, not at all at home or greyhound events, but she was never comfortable on walks unless she was between the boys for her "protection".

Have you thought of obedience class? Only because it gets her out to do something fun and take some of the fear out of it.

Dear Miss Donna,

Since no one else has suggested it--let me. Vision issues? Hearing issues? Is her behavior the same at night as during the day? If so, probably not vision (Kramer had terrible night vision due to vitreal degeneration, which is why I mention it). Hearing issues possibly causing her to experience sensory overload trying to sort out the sounds?

I must say that George does a LOT of looking behind us on our walks in the morning (in the dark). As if he thinks someone is sneaking up behind us, and he wants to run.

I personally would not bother with the thyroid testing absent any OTHER symptoms (Spirit had other issues which pointed at that possibility, so it makes sense).

Might I also point out that she's come a LONG way since Halloween? She may just need more time! And some decent weather!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Might I also point out that she's come a LONG way since Halloween? She may just need more time! And some decent weather!

Yeah the weather is KNOT conducive to any kind of "outside training". However I've taken Janet's advice and walked her today on 2 leashes. Is seems she sort of prefers to be collar walked instead of harness walked (but I much prefer the security of the harness for her..) Hm I wonder if Miss Alisha can make me a special leash :)

I know - one day at a time - next walk we'll try some "snacks" too :D

I would suggest keeping her outings consistent and trying to avoid unexpected things as much as possible. Take the same route at the same time to give her something to rely on until she feels more at ease.

I imagine that whole going through the lobby thing is spoiling the rest of the walk because once they are scared, all they want to do is get back to their safe place. I am not sure if hanging out in the lobby is going to help or hinder but it's worth a try and you'll just have to see how she reacts.

Onyx was afraid of the people on our walks. I used to take him to a park that had a skateboarding area at the entrance and then a long, peaceful walking path right after that. He always got real stressed about walking through the entrance but once we were inside, he loved it. Problem was he never wanted to go back out!

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest AGirlNamedMe

Treating for positive behavior has been great for Bella.

I would just warn you to be careful about using food as a "lure." We got into that here for a little while and then the little stinkerbell wouldn't take five steps without a treat. :blink:

Bella has come SO FAR with her issues outside. She has been with us for just about a month. Her first two weeks here, she would not budge when we were trying to walk her. Would not. Now, she's a happy girl and our walks are so much happier.

I hope your Buffy improves soon. Bella's improvements have made such a difference in our days together.

xo

I imagine that whole going through the lobby thing is spoiling the rest of the walk because once they are scared, all they want to do is get back to their safe place. I am not sure if hanging out in the lobby is going to help or hinder but it's worth a try and you'll just have to see how she reacts.

Jenn

3 of our doormen are in love with her and she likes them but one wants to be her friend and she is terrified of him. (I think it's 'cuz he has enormous feet and wears "Herman Munster" type winter boots..... all she sees are his boots and panics)

I've asked him to stay back until she becomes a little more sure of herself and then he can start approaching her slowly (maybe in a year or three <sigh>)

She's ok in the lobby as long as she is sitting ON her daddy's lap. I told DH he's going to have to stop letting her use him as a human shield when the weather gets nicer.... we'll see.

Donna

Glad the collar and harness idea worked. I tried a coupler, but it was too clunky where the two extenders attached and that just spooked Jet more. I'll see Alisha in 2 1/2 weeks, I have an idea but it'll be much easier to show her in person.

Klaus :rolleyes: you have to stop babying the little one. She'll never be an independent big girl if you don't. ;)

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Donna, take heart.

Dexter was the shyest dog I had ever encountered. I had to crawl into the crate to take him out to pee - there was no way he was coming out of there by himself. Obviously they were meant to be a couple. lol.gif

Dex's description by our group "He is just overwhelmed with life. Although he will never be a Wal-mart greeter, in the right home that will allow him to be the dog he is, he will be a wonderful companion"

Once Dex got a little more comfortable in the house, I just started introducing one new thing every day. Always matter of fact - nothing was a big deal - we would walk up to something new in the yard. Then we moved to the road, off on car rides to find more new things. Once he trusted that I would take care of anything that came at us, the progress was amazing. He did his first meet and greet three weeks after arriving, and has never looked back - literally or figuratively. And although we have not tried Wal-mart he does do a greyt job now at Petsmart.

I know this sounds crazy but I read somewhere that if you continuously stroke a shy dog under their chin, it helps to build their confidence. Have no idea why but it worked and still works with Dex each time something new scares him.

Deb

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Glad the collar and harness idea worked. I tried a coupler, but it was too clunky where the two extenders attached and that just spooked Jet more. I'll see Alisha in 2 1/2 weeks, I have an idea but it'll be much easier to show her in person.

Klaus :rolleyes: you have to stop babying the little one. She'll never be an independent big girl if you don't. ;)

I emailed Alisha about this, too. Basically we use a leash with a "traffic handle" and perhaps that can be extended into 2 leash parts but I'm concerned that she won't get the same "pulling on her neck" feel that she seems to prefer over the harness feel.....

Donna, take heart.

Dexter was the shyest dog I had ever encountered. I had to crawl into the crate to take him out to pee - there was no way he was coming out of there by himself. Obviously they were meant to be a couple. lol.gif

Dex's description by our group "He is just overwhelmed with life. Although he will never be a Wal-mart greeter, in the right home that will allow him to be the dog he is, he will be a wonderful companion"

Once Dex got a little more comfortable in the house, I just started introducing one new thing every day. Always matter of fact - nothing was a big deal - we would walk up to something new in the yard. Then we moved to the road, off on car rides to find more new things. Once he trusted that I would take care of anything that came at us, the progress was amazing. He did his first meet and greet three weeks after arriving, and has never looked back - literally or figuratively. And although we have not tried Wal-mart he does do a greyt job now at Petsmart.

I know this sounds crazy but I read somewhere that if you continuously stroke a shy dog under their chin, it helps to build their confidence. Have no idea why but it worked and still works with Dex each time something new scares him.

Deb

Once again one of the (many) times I wish we had a yard :)

Stroking her under the chin hmmm? I will get Klaus do do that while she's sitting on his lap in the lobby :lol

Actually we took her to the event at the Olympic Stadium AND to GH Planet Day in Ottawa (where she stayed with us in a hotel for 3 nights) and she was pretty good - although I have a feeling she was so shell-shocked that she was just moving by "rote" ....

Yup - Buffy & Dexter - greyt pair :)

Guest LindsaySF

It will just take time. :) Keep bringing her places and keep it positive.

When I first adopted Cody he was very spooky away from home (fine in the house). He still tucks his tail a bit sometimes, especially if we are in a more crowded location like the pet store, but he's light years from where he was. He still prefers women over men but he will actually greet some strangers now instead of running from them. He prefers if people don't look him directly in the eye, and he approaches them instead of the other way around.

Bringing another confident dog along on the walk helps a lot too. The shy dog takes their cues from that dog. You can also have strangers feed her/them treats.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Donna, just breezing through and I saw this and I readily admit I haven't read the replies so apologies if I am repeating.

My Stella was very much a homebody, she was confident, comfortable and downright joyous in our home and our neighbourhood but outside of her 'comfort zone' she was a neurotic pupcake, heck it was major breakthrough when she decided it was in fact okay to go counterclockwise around the neighbourhood instead of the usual way :lol Going in the car was cause for drippy nose, panting and vomitting, not motion sick but sick from stress over going somewhere.

I spent the first couple years trying to overcome this by carting her all over and working on calming her, then finally figured, you know what, why bother. It was a little more inconvenient to me, I would have loved to 'take her to greyhound events' etc but she was happiest being in her own little kingdom and there was no harm in that so we let her. She had walks twice a day through her neighbourhood where she knew what to expect, where the other dogs were, where the friendly people with snuggles and treats were etc.

I miss that sweet crazy quirky girl though we are head over heels in love with our Jeff Gordon :yay who is much easier going.

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.