Watch Yourself And Others When Around Running Dogs

Guest missecho

Guest missecho

We had a very upsetting incident yesterday morning during our twice-weekly "Greyhound Playdate", which is organized informally at a local corral. As is normal, our small group of 3-4 greyhound enthusiasts were chatting while our dogs ran to their hearts content in the corral, playing with one another. About 15 minutes into the hour, running at a comfortable pace, the pack headed toward our human conversation group. The pack leaders breezed by, but strangely this time, a couple of the five dogs did not veer away from our group, as they ALWAYS have done in the past. Two of the running dogs collided with a member of our group from behind, knocking her to the ground. We called an ambulance, and she was taken to the hospital-- her leg had been broken in several places, no doubt from the force of the fall. She was rushed into surgery yesterday and is now facing a long recovery.

The dogs seem to be okay.

Please be extra careful and aware when you are around the dogs and they are running--they have good intentions, but they are very strong and very fast, and collisions can be very serious.

Guest TheUnrulyHound

I have been knocked on my butt before. it is a good idea to be aware of where the hounds are running, and to keep children out of the area too, can you imagine if that had been a child? :eek

I hope her recovery is quick :(

Guest IrskasMom

Actualy this happen to me , but they were two Boxers and Playing and runnin. All the other Dogs were more running on the Perimeter and this two come running towards us (the humans )full Speed. Me, was not paying Attention(running my Mouth)and knocked me flat on my Back.I was not hurt and neither were the Dogs. This awful , I hope the Lady has a speedy Recovery and best Wishes to her.

Guest KennelMom

Yep. With dogs who can run 30+ mph, it's wise to pay attention to where they are and where they're headed. Two of the most dangerous things about greyhound playgrous: too many dogs on the field at once and humans not paying attention b/c they're standing around chatting to each other. I once saw someone bring their small child to playgroup and was warned repeatedly that it was too dangerous. I felt really bad that the kid had an idiot for a parent...at least they removed the child after the first time it was run over by a galloping 70 greyhound.

Glad to hear the dogs are ok and I hope the human has a speedy and full recovery.

Guest pennmorgan

This happened to a dear friend of mine, though it wasn't a greyhound that was the perp. She had to have surgery and was homebound and on crutches months. And the guy whose dog it was ran away and didn't offer to help with the bills!

Hoping for her to have a quick recovery.

I´m a tall + sized person and I was knocked down once by my tiny 50 pound greyhound when she was running in full speed behind me. Thankfully I landed on soft snow so I wasn´t hurt and neither was my grey.

Siggy2.jpg
Ester (Kaylas Princess) and Sune The Cat
Annie (Morbeat Ann) (16/8 2003-30/8 2013) Caspar (Crazy Enough) (8/5 2002-29/7 2013)

Guest missecho

I have been knocked on my butt before. it is a good idea to be aware of where the hounds are running, and to keep children out of the area too, can you imagine if that had been a child? :eek

I hope her recovery is quick :(

That's the rub--a child might have tumbled and gotten back up on his or her feet, but a 67-year old lady has different issues. I sure hope she is okay.

Guest TBSFlame

That happened to me once with a horse. lol. I heard the young 7 month old colt running up behind me but thought he would stop. He didn't and it knocked both of us down. lol. I have seen greyhounds run into each other and get hurt. Play group can be a scary place.

Edited by TBSFlame

Guest lanielovesgreys

Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

Laika knocked me over at the dog park when she weighed 30 pounds. My butt was bruised for a very long time.

I'm very short and don't even have to be run over, I've got a couple who will jump on me and knock me down and they're not even running so I can imagine how much damage can be done by hounds running. Hope she recovers quickly.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Bang_o_rama

I can testify (pun intended) that letting a large dog put his head between your knees is a really bad idea if the dog then attempts to stand up....

~D~