Wakes Up Too Early

Guest dancewkathylee

Guest dancewkathylee

I've had my grey for about a year. He was sleeping pretty well but, now he gets up earlier and earlier! Some mornings he wants to go out at 3:30 or 4 usually it's more like 5 to 6 AM. I generally do last out at midnight. Any suggestions? This has gotten worse since the time change.

Guest dancewkathylee

Does he really have to potty? or is he just bored? Squirt bottle worked for bored Miss Rainy. I don;t even have to use it just sleep huggin it. :lol

Hard to tell He always goes when I take him out Then if it's really early i make him leave me alone The latest he'll wait for food is 6:30 I know for some that's a good wake up time, but I tend to work later hours. I can give the squirt bottle a try but sure don't want to step in a puddle in the later morning!

Paradise did this to us when we first brought her home. It got to the point where we were getting up at 4am to let her out and feed her and then going back to bed. Then somebody told us she had US trained, she whined, we got up and fed her. The trick was to let her whine for a few mornings and she finally realized she gets to get up when the alarm clock goes off.

Before you do this, you may want to rule out a UTI or other medical issue, but I would suspect your boy has you trained. :lol

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

He might be getting cold at night. Getting cold wakes him up, when he wakes up he has to go, when he ahs to go he wakes YOU up.

Try jammies or covering him up with a blanket when he wants you to get up.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

yes, he might be getting cold- does he sleep in your bedroom? the reason i ask is: if he sleeps in there then you can either shuuush him or give him a squirt w/ a water bottle when he wakes up and then get him to go back to sleep. once he stops getting up in the middle of the night you can then move him back to his usual spot. i found detering the activity before he really wakes up and starts moving around is helpful in reconditioning. unless there is a uti or stomach upset i teach my dogs to sleep to at least 7am if not later. then they learn to go out, potty and go back to sleep until i am ready to interact w/ them. also, at night is he just being turned out or leash walked? w/ a leash walk you can make sure he really empties himself.

Guest dancewkathylee

yes, he might be getting cold- does he sleep in your bedroom? the reason i ask is: if he sleeps in there then you can either shuuush him or give him a squirt w/ a water bottle when he wakes up and then get him to go back to sleep. once he stops getting up in the middle of the night you can then move him back to his usual spot. i found detering the activity before he really wakes up and starts moving around is helpful in reconditioning. unless there is a uti or stomach upset i teach my dogs to sleep to at least 7am if not later. then they learn to go out, potty and go back to sleep until i am ready to interact w/ them. also, at night is he just being turned out or leash walked? w/ a leash walk you can make sure he really empties himself.

I guess he could be getting cold, or our cats might wake him up. I always leash walk him. He goes when I take him out and pretty much right away. If it's really early and I don't feed him when I bring him in, he wakes me up in another hour. I try not to feed him too early so he doesn't get into that habit but....... And as far as the sleeping arrangements, he has a pillow on the floor right next to my bed. He very cute about the way he wakes you so it's hard to be annoyed but, getting back to sleep is not always easy and I'm starting to feel like a new mom!

Paradise did this to us when we first brought her home. It got to the point where we were getting up at 4am to let her out and feed her and then going back to bed. Then somebody told us she had US trained, she whined, we got up and fed her. The trick was to let her whine for a few mornings and she finally realized she gets to get up when the alarm clock goes off.

Before you do this, you may want to rule out a UTI or other medical issue, but I would suspect your boy has you trained. :lol

I suspect you might be right! He's rather hard to ignore and too cute when he bumps his head on the mattress or puts his cold nose on mine. I also think he must be used to the 4 times a day thing from the track because he doesn't seem to be able to go for as long as other big dogs I've heard about. I don't think asking him to go 7 or 8 hours at night is unreasonable though.

He might be getting cold at night. Getting cold wakes him up, when he wakes up he has to go, when he ahs to go he wakes YOU up.

That sounds easy enough I will give it a try

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sunset123

I just had to dig up this thread to thank you for this comment. I've been getting up a couple of times at night to tuck Arrisa back into her blanket and it makes SUCH a big difference. No more whining at night!

He might be getting cold at night.  Getting cold wakes him up, when he wakes up he has to go, when he ahs has to go he wakes YOU up. 

Good idea. My boys don't ever wake me up during the night, but my girls do. Pipi will bark a little louder each time until I get up. Every time they have to potty. Pipi is 10 1/2, Gabby is 12 1/2. Gabby sleeps on the bed against me so I know she's not cold, but I know she has to go potty. My last turn out is around 10, even if I go to bed & asleep by 8:00, I'll wake up about 10/10:30 and let them outside. Once they are finished, everyone is told to go back to sleep & that works. 

I've never used a squirt bottle for something like this. I have a space issue with Jack & I've used the squirt bottle once, I don't like the idea of squirting water in their face or eyes.