Pearl

MP_the4pack

I've been putting this off long enough. I guess I'd better get this done.

I lost my Pearl after many years of fighting heart disease and hypertension, to that insidious disease we collectively know as cancer last Friday.

It was an incredibly fast growing cancer. Fibrosarcoma. Multiple liver tumors were measured at 20 cm. in less than 2 weeks after splenectomy surgery in which they were undetected.

I still have three girls, Onyx, the old lady at 14, Diamond, Pearl's sister who lost her leg to OS just 3 months ago, and Opal, the 5 yr old. As much as I hate to say it, the three of them put together can't fill Pearl's paws.

Pearl was my heart and soul. She forced me to overcome my grief at the loss of Brindle 8 yrs ago. She'd been with me only 3 weeks at that time. And there was no grieving if she had any say in the matter.

Pearlsofa.jpg

She was the goofball Topaz was. I had lost Topaz 2 yrs earlier and she was the reason I adopted Pearl. I needed a white/black goofy girl.

Here she's leaping onto the bed.

pearlleaping.jpg

She was diagnosed with heart disease the next year and hypertension a year or two after that. But no one could ever tell that she was the "sick" one in my pack. She was the most active of the four of them. Only me and her doctors knew.

She played fetch. Always returning the stuffie to me to throw again.

She was a southpaw. Yup....dogs are left handed or right handed just like people. And she was left handed.

She played yoo-hoo. (the canine version of hide and go seek).

She gave me hugs. Big hugs.

She smiled. It was a little smile, crooked, that I said was an Elvis smile. (4 of the 6 greys I've owned smiled that toothy grin that looks like a snarl)

She played a mean tug-o-war with me, Opal or both of us in a three way tug.

She always sounded like she was going to kill her sister when they played. But she growled like that only with her sister (Diamond) and it was just play.

She would greet me with a high pitched squeal when I came home from work (God I'm going to miss that).

pearlsofa-1.jpg

She snuggled on the couch with me. She slept in bed with me. If I was in my office, she was there.

Pearlsnuggle.jpg

There's no one here in the office with me now as I write this. There was no one on the sofa or bed last night.

She would never let me put on my coat without asking "can I come too?" I put on my coat yesterday to shovel snow. No one knew I left the house.

And.....she loved the snow. She missed the big storms this week. (it figures)

Pearlsnow-1.jpg

If I needed to get Pearl into the car alone (like to take her for her BP exam) all I had to do was give her "the look" and she would sneak to the door leading to the car. She LOVED the car and having solo rides with her Momma.

I feel like I'm dogless now. I so need a hug.

Pearlhug.jpg

Goodbye my baby. Momma misses you SO MUCH!

057_Parkhill.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greysonly
:grouphug I am so sorry for your loss she was beautiful. I know that empty feeling. Sending hugs! My Jazz did a lot of those things the high pitch scream when anyone would come home. :cry1 I am so sorry. Run free sweet Pearl :gh_runner

That was beautiful. There are no words to help ease your pain, but I am so very sorry. You both knew that you were so loved.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

That last picture on the beach did it for me!! What a huge loss and I am so sorry she had to leave.

God speed to you baby girl, knowing how very much you are loved and will be missed.

You fought your fight with such dignity and grace. Please continue to watch over your mom as you run with all the Angels.

:gh_run

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Oh I'm so very sorry. I was just wondering how she was doing. My heart goes out to you. Godspeed Pearl.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

This is a beautiful tribute to your amazing girl. It can only feel like a tremendous loss. sad.gif Thank you for sharing this.

:grouphug:f_pink:grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

My heart fell when I saw the header. I am so sorry for the loss of Pearl. She was a brave lady for so long.

I do hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Our hearts take them in without hesitation, knowing full well that we will have to let them go before we are ready. We do it knowing only that the love and joy that they give us is so much more than the pain of saying goodbye. I'm so sorry that you have had to say goodbye to your precious Pearl. Her memories will fill your heart so she is with you always.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest greymama002

My heart breaks for you; the last picture shows what true soulmates you were indeed. The time we have with them is never enough.

Run free most precious Pearl and keep watching over your mama!

Edited by greymama002

Guest mcsheltie

Thank you so much for sharing Pearl. I know how hard that was to write. You two have such a special bond, she is still with you and she will always be there. May the wonderful memories of her love help you thru this, until you meet again.

I am so very sorry. :cry1 There is nothing one can say that can help with the loss of such a special girl.

Godspeed Pearl.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Beautiful pictures and words to match.. I am so sorry.. : Oh sweetie, run free over that rainbow.. Momma misses you and loved you so much.. I know it's too early to think about it but when I read this I thought if only you could open your heart someday to another waiting for a forever home.. Your home is so warm and cozy.. Pearl, send momma a sign.. :grouphug:f_pink

Beautiful photo's and what an incredibly moving tribute to your special girl.

The bond you had with Pearl can never be broken......she is with you in your heart.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose