Thera-Paws Hurt Her Knuckles

Guest Amy_Bee

Guest Amy_Bee

Gretchen is having corn problems, so she's been wearing Thera-paws. I don't know that they fit properly, or maybe I'm not putting them on properly. Every time I go to put them on her, she backs away, and it's no wonder-- she's got a sore between her toes, and also, the boots seem to be rubbing away the fur on a couple of her knuckles. I try to sort of "flatten" her toes inside the boots, but it happens anyway.

I've read about Pawz and was thinking I could have her wear the Pawz under the Thera-paws. The problem is that the Thera-paws don't stay on very well to begin with. Has anyone ever tried the Pawz in combination with the Thera-paws?

Edited by Amy_Bee

I would definitely contact Thera-paws-the woman who owns it and designs the boots is very knowledgable and may be able to give you some good feedback. We used Therapaws for years with Peanut and never had an issue. But I do know what you mean about having to kind-of shove her foot in. The only issue we had with them not staying on was if she would run in it-and then we would search the back yard until we found it :lol . I would definitely contact her. Good luck!

I haven't used Paws but I did try a sock under Conor's therapaws & it didn't help. So I got him some Neo Paws & have had much more success with them. They are more naturally shaped like a dogs paw/leg so I think it causes less irritation. He still isn't crazy about having something on his feet but I know it doesn't hurt him like the therapaws did.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Over the years or wearing thera-paws Inu has bald spots on his knuckles. I just deal with it but I know a lot of people swear by a newer product called neopaws instead of therapaws. Oh and I never had a problem with the boots coming off either you need to be sure to pull them snug and velcro closed from the bottom up. The strap is just extra security and not the way the boots actually stay on.

Good luck

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

I had a bad experience with the Pawz when I had them on Aquitaine for an extended period. Her feet/ankles swelled tremendously so I would not necessarily suggest long term wear with those.

I learned about these simple, but effective boots from people from my group: http://dogbooties.com/dogbooties.html. I get the toughteck boots and they are great. Good for non-slip on the wood floors, good for keeping her from ripping through her bedding, good for walking in the snow. Cheap too!

• 3 weeks later...

I've had this issue with Wabi, too. I feel it's because her nails are too long (bad mommy! wiggly fussy puppy! :P ) At least, they are too long, and I expect it does keep the boots from fitting as well as they should, and also keep her toes from flexing as well as they should.

I have also had the experience of having her foot swell when I left a bootie on longer than necessary (it was one of the fleecy ones from Therapaws for indoor use). It just doesn't work to have a tight band around an extremity! (My rule is now to only use them while she's walking, not even lying in the car on the way to a walk or home.)

Whatever boots you get, do check the insides really well for rough seams or hard bits. I had two full sets of tall boots, and the velcro had a VERY rough edge inside where it was seamed in. I didn't check this first, and only found out when I took them off, and found bloody abrasions on each leg of two dogs!! :(

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

When i got FedX one the same thing happened. I contacted therapaws and they just had me send back the therapaw i had bought and they custom altered it with some extra material as a sort of flap over the top of the foot/knuckles for a minimal charge. The boot fit much better but he wouldn't wear it so i keep it for a day when he or some other hound really needs it!

I bought NeoPaws for Rascal. they stay on! no rubbing, mesh on top for breathing and tire tread bottoms so he doesn't feel rocks!

They are wonderful!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

they are very helpful at therapaws. They told me the knuckle problem is coomon in greys and that u can send them back and they will cut them to properly fit so her knuckles won't hurt/ I had this same problem recently and that is what they told me.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest IHeartDogs

I learned about these simple, but effective boots from people from my group: http://dogbooties.com/dogbooties.html. I get the toughteck boots and they are great. Good for non-slip on the wood floors, good for keeping her from ripping through her bedding, good for walking in the snow. Cheap too!

I too use these with greyt success. They are cheap and stay on! I also buy the womens Dr. scholls heel pads and insert them into the boot for more cushion. Just remember to keep the dew claw out of the strap. Most greyhounds would fit a size XS. These boots are locally made in Duluth by a bunch of old ladies. They have donated tons of boots to search and rescue missions around the world. Great company.

I have had the same problem with the Therapaws, they rubbed blisters on Kelsey's paws as well. I have also tried Cushi-Paws, shoes from Voyager and today I received the neo-paws.This dog has more shoes than I do. The lady at neopaws told me she should wear both shoes(front legs) for balance. Do any of you do this for that reason?

The therapaws are cute but the neopaws are adorable. I bought a pair of summer and a pair of winter boots. So far, they have stayed on and Kelsey is not limping.

Guest Plygreygirl

We also have used TheraPaws. I have had good luck with them but I put a baby mitten on first which cushons the knucles. Also because both my girls have huge dew claws this help because you slide the mitten under the dew claw and that way it's not rubbing on the leg.