Elevated Creatine Kinase?

Princess (12 yo) has been drinking heavily and peeing a lot - including two accidents (very unlike her...).

I brought her in for bloodwork and urinalysis and the only two things the vet saw as problematic was very un-concentrated urine and an elevated creatine kinase (she said it was "significant" but I don't have the number). She has also lost a few pounds since last check up, even though she gets more food than all the other dogs. She has a lower-than-normal thyroid, but the vet thinks this is a symptom and not the cause. All other bloodwork, including a 4dx snap, was normal.

She also has had two episodes of her back legs locking up, for lack of a better term. We know she has poor proprioception with both back feet. Unsure if this is related to the other problem at this point.

What should we be looking for? Other tests? The vet wants to do an ultrasound and X-rays.

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

CK or CPK is an enzyme that's elevated usually in muscle trauma or damage. Like running hard or strains/sprains. However, and considering the other symptoms, it can also be elevated in acute renal failure. That's the nutshell version, it's more complicated, but considering the drinking and unconcentrated urine, investigating the kidneys is a good place to start.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

With those symptoms, kidneys or Cushing's disease are my first thoughts but that does not necessarily explain elevated CK. Did your dog do a lot of running or exercise before the vet visit? From the description, I am guessing not. My dog with lower motor neuron disease, a polyneuropathy, had elevated CK quite often. He also had kidney trouble so shared the symptoms you list with Princess except the locking up.

My guess is that you are likely to be looking at two different problems. In my personal experience, only Cushing's disease has gone with the set up symptoms you describe.

With those symptoms, kidneys or Cushing's disease are my first thoughts but that does not necessarily explain elevated CK. Did your dog do a lot of running or exercise before the vet visit? From the description, I am guessing not.

No, but we were in the waiting room for 40 minutes or so with her constantly pacing and fretting. Not sure that's enough to raise the numbers and generally speaking, yeah, she's not out in the yard running. :lol

The other thing I thought of was I had moved her to the high protein Wilderness kibble (something like 43% protein) in an attempt to find something that she'd eat... this was just a few days before her symptoms started. I have since taken her off it just in case.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I did not ask if it was cultured, the vet only told me there was no signs of bacteria (or protein) in the urine.

Princess is going in for x-rays on friday. Would it be worth re-running the bloodwork now that I've taken her off the high protein food?

X-rays on the kidneys showed nothing of note, so we're trying her on a kidney diet to see if that helps there.

I also caught her having an "episode" with her back legs with my video camera. She's back to normal now (well... her "normal") and if you watch, it seems like it's her left leg that causes her the problems - like she can't bend it. It gets caught on the crate, which obviously doesn't help either :( but I think that was because she's unable to fully control that leg.

And then later in the video, you can see her left toes curl under as she tries to stabilize herself.

Any ideas? Will be sending this to the vet also, because I was unable to really explain what it looked like when she had this problem.

Guest Energy11

Possible mini stroke (TIA). Curfew pants and walks "funny" when he has HIS "episodes." A lot of vets will tell you, INCLUDING MINE, that "dogs don't get strokes!" Well, GREYHOUNDS do! http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/assets/pdf/hospital/bloodBank/wellness/newsletters/2009/ghwpNewsletterSummer2009.pdf

Please be SURE to show this to your vet. I am not saying these ARE mini strokes, but, to be honest ... they very well could be. Curfew pants like that when he has his "episodes," and drools terribly!

Sending love, hugs, good luck and many prayers !

• 11 years later...