Flea And Tick

Guest SueG201

Guest SueG201

I just got back from my senior wellness exam with my soon to be 11 yr old greyhound, and I started talking to my vet a bout flea meds, he does

not carry Frontline anymore, I have never had any problems with it but he recommended Advantix because it repels ticks, anyone using it???

He is a sighthound Vet, he has many afghan hounds So i need the power of GT to guide me

Guest KennelMom

heather, can I use Advantix with ivermectin ( my HW med of choice) I normally space out the two doses about 2 wks apart

as far as I know you can. I've used advantix before when we've gotten free samples and what not with adoption packets and never had an issue. I definitely works better than frontline - around here the fleas don't seem to be bothered by frontline at all.

Guest KennelMom

is Advantix the one you cant use if you have a cat, i sure hope not because I have a 14 yr old Main Coon cat t hat sleeps on the dog beds at night

yeah...advantix uses permethrin, which you don't want around cats. I would have thought your vet would have brought that up since you have a cat. Advantage doesn't have that, but then it also doesn't work against ticks. Though, unless you have a problem with tick I wouldn't worry about it too much and just keep an eagle eye out for them.

Guest ladyflannel

Ugh.. I was about to start a topic about fleas and ticks.. Front line is a joke and I do have a cat.

We have Goliath (a chauweenie) and for him we treat the yard, and than just give baths with flea and tick shampoo. I live in deer tick area (southeast Texas, near the Gulf of Mexico)

SO any suggestion on flea/tick shampoo for Grey's?

TIA

the NEWB owner

Guest KennelMom

If you want a flea/tick shampoo, I like any of the Adams shampoos. For fleas, you don't really need a special shampoo...anything will do as long as you let it set on them for at least 5 minutes. For fleas, I really don't think anything beats Comfortis. It's basically Capstar that lasts for a month (longer in my experience).