Fuzzy Is Bleeding

On Friday we took the Fuzz Man for his annual. He had bordatella, the 3 boosters and his anal glands expressed. He gained just 1/2 lb since last year and Dr. Newman said he looks fine. He is 81 lbs. of very skinny dog.

This morning all three were out, had breakfast and went back to bed. About an hour later, Fuzzy comes down stairs with bright red blood on his chest and between his legs. I get a wet cloth to see where he hurt himself and I can't find anything. I then realize that he is dripping blood from his penis.

I put them all out again, and all he does is poop. But, he runs in the snow and acts fine. Lines up for his post poop cookies with the others.

I keep watching him, as Len is not home yet, and wiping at him and there is a little blood on a cloth. Not like before.

Len comes home and I walk Fuzzy to get him to pee and I collect it in a cup. Come in and call the vet and explain. She says it is too early for a bleeding reaction to the vaccinations. The usual is past four days, this is just three. So Len takes him and the pee for an analysis. He brings Fuzzy, just in case they want to look at him, but basically they are going to do the urine analysis. They do not check him over.

The pee is clear. No cystals. Perhaps, he passed a stone and to watch him. If he passed a stone, why did he bleed over an hour after? On the way home in the van, he threw up.

He ate a light dinner and is sleeping now. Earlier I looked at his penis there was some watery blood on the tip.

I have looked this up and some sites, say that this happens sometimes and never again. Or, it could be a UTI. Then I check if something like this could happen if he ingested ice-melt. The sites say unlikely and that a dog would have to ingest a lot to get sick and the reaction would be different.

Any thoughts, any body? I really am worried about my boy.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Energy11

Wow!

This is a tough one! Could be a very bad UTI. Could be passing a crystal/small stone. Could be the vaccinations, but, I'd be inclined to lean toward the above.

I'd keep A CLOSE eye on him for the next 12-24 hours. If anything changes ... such as, he becomes weak, had pale gums, cold limps, he needs to see a vet ASAP.

Hope this is all over, and all turns out well! Good luck! Lots of love and prayers!

My Tanner started dripping blood from his penis but it was due to the Metacam.

Upon researching and digging, found that it was a side effect, not common but there.

But this was also when he was dx with Von Willebrands

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Hi Irene

Had Fuzzy been doing a lot of running, or had any type of fall or other traumatic injury shortly before the bloody discharge developed? Strenuous exercise, or a traumatic injury to his back or abdomen, could cause transient hematuria.

I'd insist the vet examine him, esp. his abdomen. Fuzzy needs a complete micro urinalysis plus a urine culture. If nothing shows up, they should be considering a renal ultrasound.

Has he had a recent complete tick panel? Even a simple CBC will ensure he has adequate platelets and isn't passing enough blood to make him anemic. Is he bleeding from his gums, or rectum?

If the problem has completely resolved, I just push for running a micro urinalysis and culture, and if it recurs, I'd want the vet to do a complete workup. Also, when they're checking urine, they can also send it for cytology.

Is acting like he has a UTI?

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest eaglflyt

Could he possibly have just a sheath infection or internal sheath injury? We've had this happen with a dachshund male several years ago. It was caused by a small piece of hay being on the inside of his sheath. Evidently it had stuck to his penis at some time when it was *exposed*, then when he retracted it, in went the piece of hay/weed. It took us and the vets 2 weeks to finally figure out the problem and resolve it! Blood, and eventually pus, would drip from his penis, I thought. Actually, it was just coming from his sheath ... but when they're retracted in place, it's difficult to tell.

Edited by eaglflyt

Hi Irene

Had Fuzzy been doing a lot of running, or had any type of fall or other traumatic injury shortly before the bloody discharge developed? Strenuous exercise, or a traumatic injury to his back or abdomen, could cause transient hematuria. He was running in the snow. But not really a lot.

I'd insist the vet examine him, esp. his abdomen. Fuzzy needs a complete micro urinalysis plus a urine culture. If nothing shows up, they should be considering a renal ultrasound.

Has he had a recent complete tick panel? Even a simple CBC will ensure he has adequate platelets and isn't passing enough blood to make him anemic. Is he bleeding from his gums, or rectum?

If the problem has completely resolved, I just push for running a micro urinalysis and culture, and if it recurs, I'd want the vet to do a complete workup. Also, when they're checking urine, they can also send it for cytology.

Is acting like he has a UTI? Not at all. If he didn't come down stairs all bloody, I would have no reason for concern.

Guest KelseysLackey

Oh Geez, how scary that must have been. No ideas or suggestions, but thinking of Fuzzy, you and Len and hoping it turns out to be nothing bad.

Last night he was passing a little pus (ugh). I am waiting for the vet to call us back as we are expecting a big storm tonight and into tomorrow. I don't want to be stuck without medication if he needs. Care of the racing greyhound suggestions rinsing the shealth with betadine. I have no idea what that means or how to do it.

Even with rinsing the sheath, if there is pus he needs antibiotics. With Huston we did clavamox.

Rinsing: I used a siringe (without the needle of course :lol) and stuck it along the side and up into the sheath and shot the stuff in. You also have to slosh it around and not let it out until you do. FYI: Huston did not like it rolleyes.gif

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Even with rinsing the sheath, if there is pus he needs antibiotics. With Huston we did clavamox.

Rinsing: I used a siringe (without the needle of course :lol) and stuck it along the side and up into the sheath and shot the stuff in. You also have to slosh it around and not let it out until you do. FYI: Huston did not like it rolleyes.gif

This is exactly what I had to do to Tanner. When the vet first told me and then showed me, I thought, you want me to do what!!!

I was a wreck but Tanner was a champ and made no fuss about it at all. But I was glad when it was over with :)

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Betadine is an iodine-based surgical scrub. You can get it pretty much anywhere. I would dilute it with water or saline, myself. And expect Fuzzy to turn orange!

But I agree with the others: if there is pus, he'll need antibiotics.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Oh Irene - how scary for you and Mr. Fuzzy. I hope you get this resolved/medicated before the storm hits. Prayers for Fuzzy, hugs for you.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest eaglflyt

Could he possibly have just a sheath infection or internal sheath injury? We've had this happen with a dachshund male several years ago. It was caused by a small piece of hay being on the inside of his sheath. Evidently it had stuck to his penis at some time when it was *exposed*, then when he retracted it, in went the piece of hay/weed. It took us and the vets 2 weeks to finally figure out the problem and resolve it! Blood, and eventually pus, would drip from his penis, I thought. Actually, it was just coming from his sheath ... but when they're retracted in place, it's difficult to tell.

To explain further, the sheath is the skin that covers the penis. A sheath infection, or injury, can cause these symptoms you're reporting. For our dachshund that had these symptoms, it happened that a course of antibiotics helped... and the situation finally resolved when the hay/weed caused a red raised area that eventually opened and out popped the weed! I was stunned, but he immediately healed up after it was out. He recovered 100% and since this occurrence, I always suspect this type of problems if these types of symptoms appear in any of our male dogs.

Good Luck!

Guest eaglflyt

I just remembered the name of the offending weed. It was Foxtail. It is described LINK . It was just a small, single seed from the brushy part of the weed that caused the problem. The dried weeds can even still be around in winter.

edited to correct link

Edited by eaglflyt

Dr. Newman called back. She said since he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, he probably passed a stone, but I was concerned about the pus last night and we are expecting two days of snow. If I had to bring him someplace to get looked at again or get a prescription filled, it will be very difficult. So, we are going to give him two keflex, 500 mg, daily (which I have in the house) for a week and I am going to attempt to clean his sheath. Wish us luck, please.

Guest Energy11

Curfew is fighting a sheath infection. I took him to Dr. Karen's and she did a culture and sensitivity on the pus-like discharge. It came back as E-coli. The first round of antibiotics didn't kick it, so, now he is on both Keflex AND Cipro, twice daily, AND we are using Amimax ointment (with a insuin syringe, ... putting the ointment into the sheath), daily. He looks pretty funny, wearing DH's briefs, with a tail hole cut out!

These types of infections are HARD to get rid of! Curfew's urinanalysis was perfect ...

Good Luck with this! We KNOW how it is!

Curfew is fighting a sheath infection. I took him to Dr. Karen's and she did a culture and sensitivity on the pus-like discharge. It came back as E-coli. The first round of antibiotics didn't kick it, so, now he is on both Keflex AND Cipro, twice daily, AND we are using Amimax ointment (with a insuin syringe, ... putting the ointment into the sheath), daily. He looks pretty funny, wearing DH's briefs, with a tail hole cut out!

These types of infections are HARD to get rid of! Curfew's urinanalysis was perfect ...

I am glad to read that keflex is, at least, appropriate and not just because I have it in the house. Good luck to you too.

Guest Energy11

I am glad to read that keflex is, at least, appropriate and not just because I have it in the house. Good luck to you too.

Curfew was on Keflex, 500 mg. twice a day, for a week. Did NOT kick the infection. Now, the vet suggested, BECAUSE I HAVE BOTH HERE, the 500 mg of Keflex, and 500 mg. of Cipro, twice daily. Of course, I am giving Pepcid AC with all of this. As a matter of fact, it is time to use the Animax on "penis boy," again! lol.gif

Hi Irene- I don't know how I missed this.

How is your boy today? This must be very scary.

If you ever need the clavomox- Just so you know clavomox is very expensive and it's the same drug as Augmentin (human stuff) so if you have a doc that will call it in for you, it's very helpful to have.

I try and keep all meds in the house ... just in case! Chloe is prone to UTIs so we are prepared.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Hi Irene- I don't know how I missed this.

How is your boy today? This must be very scary.

If you ever need the clavomox- Just so you know clavomox is very expensive and it's the same drug as Augmentin (human stuff) so if you have a doc that will call it in for you, it's very helpful to have.

I try and keep all meds in the house ... just in case! Chloe is prone to UTIs so we are prepared.

I know. I actually checked with Walmart and Augmentin is one of their $4 drugs, but Dr. Newman said the Keflex was good to use and I had it in the house. He has been acting fine through all of this. I don't believe that he is any pain at all. Just I am. From worrying about him. :unsure This is the week that John E left, and I have been very upset that Fuzzy was not 100% right now. Thanks for your concern.