How And When To Feed...

Guest flojome

Guest flojome

Hi:

I feed my greyhounds once per day around 4pm. That way they don't bother me at night to go out. Also, I notice they poop twice per day. Once in the morning with a large poop and once about 3pm with a small poop. Is it better to feed once or twice? If they poop twice per day does that mean I am feeding them too much? I forgot to say they get plenty of snacks throughout the day.

Thanks,

John in Inverness, FL

Greyhounds Eve and Angel

I don't know how much your feeding but I feel that twice a day is best.

Mine are fed twice a day and 2 cups each serving which is mixed with canned as well.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

2 x a day.

Depending on what you are feeding and what the weight of your dog is depends on how much.

My 85 pound boy gets 2 cups 2x a day of pro plan with a dollop of high quality canned food mixed in. treats are low fat only.

My 65 pound boy gets 1.5 cup 2x a day.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest eaglflyt

We feed twice daily and try to keep feeding times as close to 12 hrs. apart as possible. Feeding twice daily spaced like this helps to keep blood sugar from dropping, keeps from having to feed one huge meal (which may possibly increase the chance of bloat), and keeps our dogs happier. We have 6 dogs and don't have any accident issues. Also, for our 6, most of them poop more than once per day. I feel that's normal.

Good Luck and WELCOME to Greytalk!!!! :D

Guest Energy11

I feed two times a day, roughly 12 hours apart. Seems to keep them happier, and, I have heard, helps eliminate the possibility of bloat. Good Luck! Mine would literally eat my legs off if I didn't feed twice a day! lol.gif

We free feed, and our 4 eat multiple times a day. The number of times they poop seems to be a rather individual thing. One of them will poop 2-3 times on the same walk in the morning and then again later in the day. Others seem to be on more of a twice a day schedule. None of them is overweight, and I look more at that then the number of times they poop.

Guest KennelMom

Once or twice is fine. We feed twice because I think the dogs prefer it that way - two meals is better than 1! The amount is really dependent on the food you feed. We feed anywhere from 4 cups to 3 cups a day depending on the dog with Taste of the Wild HP.

I feed my greyhounds once per day around 4pm. That way they don't bother me at night to go out.

I found this rather odd...

Edited by KennelMom

Our 2 big boys eat 1 1/2 cups of food, 3 times a day. I feed them in the morning around 7:00, they have a second feeding around 3:30, and they have dinner around 7:00. This seems to work well for all of us.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I feed three times a day. Half at breakfast (sometime between 6 am and 11 am, depending on my work schedule). A little less than half at dinner time (sometime between 4:30 and 10 pm, again depending on my work schedule). Then another quarter- to half-cup at bedtime (again, variable times), which helps ensure that everyone sleeps all night and is willing to sleep late in the morning if my schedule calls for it. The first potty-break is just before breakfast; the last potty-break is right after the bedtime snack. In-between potty-breaks depend on how many times Sam has visited his water bowl.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest BorzoiMom

Not a greyhound but I feed twice a day. Two heaping cups per feeding. He goes out for a walk in the AM just before I leave for work (and gets a cookie), then I get home, rush to the dog park and feed 2 hours after I get home from there. I would rather feed 3 times a day, but work and exersize schedule just don't allow it. He poops in the afternoon or when he's at the dogpark, once a day. (dogpark poop is divided into 3 squats on average, lol)

I have this schedule for non greys: 1cup in a.m. and p.m. with canned, and some type of add-in, eggs, cottage cheese, yoguart 1/2 at bedtime, with an 11:00 a.m. snack, for the gray, raw at the same times and add-ins plus they get additionl treats through out the day

I feed AM and PM (how would you like to go 24 hours between meals). Every dog has a different metabolism; George is a smaller male, 65 pounds, and maintains perfect weight on 2 cups of kibble per day (1 AM, 1 PM). He does also get dog biscuits as treats.

My last dog was a mixed breed who ate 5 cups a day to maintain perfect weight!

George eats Solid Gold's beef and barley formulation (and he loves it). He ALWAYS poops twice a day.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck