Another Uti & Considering Surgery ... Vulvar Tuck Or Episioplasty

Guest eaglflyt

Guest eaglflyt

UPDATE: Post #20

A week ago last Friday evening (of course after hours and during a terrible ice storm) Ady Bea began displaying symptoms of another UTI. Within half an hour she went from being fine to needing to go outside at least every 15 minutes, whining almost constantly, and urinating a very small amount about every 5 feet when we were outside. My heart sank. We had a solid inch of ice and couldn't move any of our vehicles (even our 4 wheel drive truck) and all roads were impassable. I called the Evet and thankfully they helped me over the phone as best they could. They pulled up Ady Bea's history at their facility (she's been there a few times!) and they inquired if I might have any antibiotics on hand. All we had were the antibiotics we keep on hand for the horses. Thankfully, the SMZ-TMP (Bactrim DS) could be used for Ady Bea. They helped me with the dosage and administration instructions. Thankfully, within hours she was much better. Our regular vet was away at a veterinary conference, but he called first thing Monday morning and has continued to follow up with Ady Bea's progress and treatment.

This isn't her first UTI. Despite our attention to keeping her clean and a bit of Neosporin to the area under the skin flap of her tucked vulva, we seem to be in the category of recurring UTI's. We plan on doing a urine culture the week after she's finished her 2 week course of antibiotics. I've also been researching and will be adding cranberry capsules and Vitamin C to her daily regimen. But, we are now seriously considering surgery to help with this issue. The *vulvar tuck* or *episioplasty* is being considered for Ady Bea.

I'm concerned about surgery, anesthesia, risk, etc. But, at the same time, I hate to see her getting sick and having the pain of UTI's time and again. We are meeting with our vet near the end of next week for the urine culture and to discuss the surgical option. I found these links that were very helpful HERE and HERE and HERE.

If you've had this surgery done on your grey (or other breed), what were your results? Did your dog tolerate it well? Would you do it again? Did it clear the recurrent issue of UTIs?

If you've tried the cranberry pills and Vitamin C, was that successful?

Thanks for any input.

Shelly & Ady Bea in OK

Edited by eaglflyt

Can't help re the surgery questions.

For recurrent UTIs, what worked for Zema was radical food change. There appears to be something in commercial food that bothers her little system. What probably was happening to her was, food caused excess drinking, causing frequent urination and some leakage, causing lots of licking, causing lots of bacteria ..... Weird, so I dunno if that will help anybody else.

Best luck finding the answer for your girl!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Our Candy had the Vulvar Tuck done. It made a world of difference for her. She was much more comfortable after the surgery. She didn't spend all her time doing housekeeping down there. :lol Cranberry didn't held as it was a structure problem.

Best of luck Ady Bea. I will do the surgery again on another gal if needed.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest eaglflyt

You know, that could really be a possibility. In humans with interstitial cystitis, any tomatoes or tomato product will really cause irritation and severe burning on urination, along with continuous urge to urinate and frequency. You've triggered a bit of a light bulb moment for me! Many of the dog kibbles have added fruits and vegetables and tomato pomace (mixture of crushed tomato skins, pulp & seeds) is frequently listed. She definitely licks the area and we try to prevent her from doing so, but it's not easy to keep it from happening all the time.

I do know she definitely has the anatomy problem referred to in the articles, but if tomato pomace is bothering her and causing her to lick and increase bacterial exposure, then that's definitely something we can change. I'll go food label reading and shopping today and also pick up the Vitamin C and cranberry pills.

Thanks Batmom!!! : )

Our Candy had the Vulvar Tuck done. It made a world of difference for her. She was much more comfortable after the surgery. She didn't spend all her time doing housekeeping down there. :lol Cranberry didn't held as it was a structure problem.

Best of luck Ady Bea. I will do the surgery again on another gal if needed.

Thanks Tallgreydogmom!!! That's very encouraging to hear.

I'm definitely not ruling out the surgery since I know she has the anatomy problem. I'm just wanting to try one more management method possibility, if possible. However, I don't want her to suffer needlessly with more UTI's if it's solely an anatomy issue that only surgery will have a chance of correcting.

I'm so glad your girl is doing better. Oh, and one more question, how was her recovery period from the surgery?

Shelly & Ady Bea in OK

Edited by eaglflyt

how was her recovery period from the surgery?

Candy's recovery was laying on the couch sleeping. She seemed so happy that all was well down there. She probably had some medicine to take, it was along time ago. You just will not believe the difference it makes for them.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I considered the vulvaplasty for Misty, but at the time, I was working full time and my vet told me it was crucial that she not get carried away licking the area after surgery.

After trying everything to be sure she couldn't get to the area, I realized I couldn't ensure that so I along with my vet decided against it.

I remember asking about it here a couple of years ago and a few people posted pictures of their girls after surgery. I also remember them saying they would do it again.

Good luck with your decision

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

<<<If you've had this surgery done on your grey (or other breed), what were your results? Did your dog tolerate it well? Would you do it again? Did it clear the recurrent issue of UTIs?>>>

Our girl Lottie had this done a few months after we got her, 5 years ago. While she didn't have a large number of UTIs she did have severe skin problems in the area due to the excessive fold.

She did have the surgery, and healed well, we can't even tell, no scars. in the years between she has only had two UTI's, and one of those was after one of the other dog's had passed after being ill for some time, and I think, in her mourning, she didn't drink enough. But yes we would do the surgery again. Recovery time was not long and she is a much happier girl and not preoccupied by having to excessively clean the area.

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

I don't have any experience with recurrent UTIs in dogs, but I used to be VERY prone to them, getting them about every month and a half for over two years before starting with cranberry extract capsules daily - my maintenance dose is generally 2 capsules daily, though the bottles usually state you can take 2 capsules 3x daily. Haven't had a UTI since I started them. I am currently on "super" cranberry extract (super-concentrated) - I believe it's the CVS store brand - 2 capsules daily; I haven't noticed any efficacy differences between brands or strengths (though I like the peace of mind using super-pills! :) ), so I just buy whatever's on sale. Once in a very great while, I'll start to get the slight burny feeling, in which case I go up to the recommended dose (2 capsules 3x daily for the regular concentration) for a few days, and then back to normal.

HIGHLY recommend trying this first if there are no other nagging issues to necessitate surgery.

One of our fosters had this done last year. Recovery was very short term and she was absolutely fine afterwards. She ended up going to a great home and hasn't had any problems as far as I know.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest 4rooers

Rippa had an episioplasty about 4 months after adoption (it will be 4 years on Wednesday) and she came through greyt! She had an almost constant staph infection in the fold prior to surgery and they found a tumor at the base of her tail during the surgery that was removed at the same time. Poor girl, she had 17 stitches in a very sensitive area!the vet felt it may have been caused by hormones given while racing. She is 9.5 now and is the healthiest one of my pack. Good luck with your girl.

Kim

Edited by 4rooers

Guest eaglflyt

Thanks everyone!

Rippa had an episioplasty about 4 months after adoption (it will be 4 years on Wednesday) and she came through greyt! She had an almost constant staph infection in the fold prior to surgery and they found a tumor at the base of her tail during the surgery that was removed at the same time. Poor girl, she had 17 stitches in a very sensitive area!the vet felt it may have been caused by hormones given while racing. She is 9.5 now and is the healthiest one of my pack. Good luck with your girl.

Kim

Kim, I'm glad your girl is doing so well and flew through her surgery. :colgate Our Ady Bea never raced (she flunked out of racing school at just 1 year old), so I think it's just her anatomy. I'm trying a gradual diet change now (kibble that has NO tomato products ... Acana Pacifica) along with the Vit. C and cranberry capsules, but we are still talking with our vet the week after she finishes her current 2 week course of antibiotics. We're going to probably give this one more try of diet change, supplement addition, and continuing to keep the area clean before having surgery. However, if her urine culture comes back still positive after finishing her antibiotics and letting a week pass, then we'll opt for surgery, more than likely.

Shelly & Ady Bea

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest Greytnorth

My Ruby had this surgery 4 years ago and I'm SOOOO HAPPY with the results. Our poor girl had a tough time with UTI's and skin irritations prior to the surgery. We also had a difficult time with house training as a result of the UTI's. The first couple of days was tough on her but with the help of a few pain killers and topical spray, we made it through the first week. She has not had any more "girly" issues since and if given the same situation in the future, I would not hesitate to do it again. Good Luck with you girl!!!

Guest mirthlesstroll

I have been following this thread with great interest - My Bernese Mtn Dog, Maisie, has been having a lot of issues with UTIs this past year, and we are considering the surgery for her. She just had an ultrasound to rule out cancer or physical defects, so the vet thinks the fold is the problem. She's on baytril now, and I think we will schedule the surgery sooner rather than wait - well, maybe until the income tax rebate comes in. :)

My whippet, Zuma, and my foster whippet, Hallie, both have issues with the folds of skin down south. tongue.gif It's not bad enough with Zuma for me to consider the surgery, but if it was, I'd probably do it. She doesn't get UTI's because of it, so it's just a cleaning issue. Hallie came to me much worse than Zuma did.....I had to give Hallie antibiotics for the skin irritation (it was really ulcerated down there sad.gif ) and a cream from the vet (don't remember what it is since I'm at work) to help resolve it. My vet recommended using Desitin cream with zinc as sort of a preventative and WRAP's vet suggested I use a cortisone cream. The area looks a lot better than it did 2 months ago. No UTI with her though.

If you do decide to have the surgery, I'd imagine it would just be a case of making sure to keep an e-collar on her so she can't lick at the area (and make sure any other dogs don't want to lick down there either wink.gif ).

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest eaglflyt

Ady Bea hasn't had so much irritation in the area, as just the recurrent UTI's. There has been some irritation under the skin fold, but very mild. It's the UTI's that have me most concerned. Next week we're talking to our vet again and having a follow-up urine culture. We've been talking and I think we're just going to ask for a surgical referral for her. We're hoping to find a very grey savy vet that has done several of these surgeries, and a big bonus would be having it done with a laser. We're also continuing her diet changes and supplements with Vit. C, Cranberry capsules, and probiotics.

We hate to expose her to anesthesia and surgery, but if it will help get rid of the recurrent UTI's, it will be worth it.

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest Mom2aDog

I have a 10 yr old golden retriever who is going to have the episioplasty/vulvaplasty in March after we get her latest UTI cleared-up. She has a conformation defect, of course, and has been battling recurrent UTIs for the last year. For the past 4 months I've had her on 2,000 mg of cranberry extract, probiotics, D-mannose (another supplement for UTIs) and she's been on PPA/Uricon for the past 5 years or so. I wanted to avoid surgery but feel this is the best course of action for her at this point. I hesitate because she's 10.5 yrs old, but having to constantly be on ABX and have monthly cystocentisis is a big drain financially. I'm praying this will work for her and will solve her issues. I intend to keep her on the supplements since they can only help. Hopefully I'll be able to reduce the cranberry amount down to 1,000 mg or less.

It's good to read about other dogs who had the surgery and are doing well! Gives me confidence in making this decision.

Guest eaglflyt

We have Ady Bea's recheck with our vet tomorrow morning. She will be checked to make sure her UTI has cleared and we are going to discuss the surgical option. This is a very difficult decision for us. I'll update after the vet appt. at 10:30 AM tomorrow.

Thanks so much!

Shelly

P.S. After her vet check, we plan on taking her shopping for a new stuffy if she feels up to it. ;)

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest eaglflyt

We just got home a bit ago from Ady Bea's follow-up appt. with our vet. A urine sample has been sent to the lab and we'll know results tomorrow. He checked her over thoroughly and is pleased with her condition and status one week after her 2 week antibiotic treatment for her latest bout of UTI & vaginitis. He also gave us a referral for consult with a board certified veterinary surgeon in our area. Our appt. for consult for episioplasty will be next Friday morning at 9:30 AM.

BTW, Ady Bea tests for certification for therapy dog with TDI next Thursday evening with my husband and I. Her surgical consult will be the next morning. Wish us luck with both, please. :)

The surgeon's office gave me an estimate of $600 - $1,200 for the surgery. Does this sound about normal for those of you that have had this done for your female hounds? The surgeon is highly recommended, has greyhound experience and has excellent reviews from our friends that have used his practice previously. The group has also done multiple episioplasty procedures, so we're hopeful. After the consult, if it is recommended, we will probably proceed with the surgery. Meanwhile, we're continuing her cranberry capsules, Vit. C, and probiotics ... as well as her Acana Pacifica diet.

After today's vet appt. we went straight to Braum's for a cup of vanilla frozen yogurt. Ady Bea loved it! I had to try to slow her down in order to prevent her from getting an ice cream headache. :D

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest 4rooers

Total cost for Rippa 4 years ago was around $500.00. Hopefully if you have it done you can stay on the low side of the estimate. She hasn't had any more problems and I would do it again for her.

Good Luck!

Kim

• 3 weeks later...
Guest eaglflyt

UPDATE

We had to postpone Ady Bea's surgical consult appt. when it was originally scheduled due to being snowed and iced in, but we were able to make it one week later ... last Friday. The surgical consult went very well and we were very pleased. The board certified surgical specialty clinic has done surgery on many greyhounds and done several episioplasties. Ady Bea was examined and her surgery date was scheduled for 3-24-10. She will have surgery that day, spend the night at the hospital, and then we can pick her up and bring her home the next day if all goes well. We told them that she tends to panic if left in a crate alone and they will make accomodations for that. We will take along her favorite blanket and her muzzle with a stool cup. The most difficult part may be to keep her from licking the area for *2 weeks*! :blink: They are also going to do a cystoscopy and vaginoscopy while she's asleep to make sure there are no other anatomical or medical problems apparent that may be contributing to her recurring vaginitis and UTIs.

Please keep Ady Bea in your thoughts and prayers on the 24th of this month. We're concerned about both the surgery and anesthesia, but ever since she got so sick with her last UTI when we were snowed and iced in and we couldn't get to the E vet, we just want her to have the best possible chance of not getting sick again. We're continuing her Vitamin C, probiotics and Cranberry capsules and new food ... Acana Pacifica. She's currently healthy and we really want her to stay that way. We're nervous, but just want the best for her.

Thanks everyone for your support!

Shelly in OK

I am following this with great interest; Kieran has a recurring "yeast" problem and it is very hard to keep her vulva area clean and dry. At her annual checkup visit, I asked our vet about this procedure and gave her the three links you posted earlier. She is going to look into the subject to see if it is a possible solution for Kieran. So, even if it doesn't turn out to be a suitable fix for her, thank you for posting. This is such a great place to learn from other people's experiences and expertise, and when I ask Dr.Janet for her opinion on various matters, she often asks me what the friends on GT have to say about it (in a positive way). It's thanks to GT and the link to the Grassmere Hospital site that she is willing and able to hull Kieran's corns! At our most recent visit, she printed me an article about corns that she'd found on her veterinary site. I asked her if Dr. Feeman had written any of it, and sure enough, he was cited as having contributed to the info! I feel very fortunate to have such a great vet in our small town!

Guest eaglflyt

I am following this with great interest; Kieran has a recurring "yeast" problem and it is very hard to keep her vulva area clean and dry. At her annual checkup visit, I asked our vet about this procedure and gave her the three links you posted earlier. She is going to look into the subject to see if it is a possible solution for Kieran. So, even if it doesn't turn out to be a suitable fix for her, thank you for posting. This is such a great place to learn from other people's experiences and expertise, and when I ask Dr.Janet for her opinion on various matters, she often asks me what the friends on GT have to say about it (in a positive way). It's thanks to GT and the link to the Grassmere Hospital site that she is willing and able to hull Kieran's corns! At our most recent visit, she printed me an article about corns that she'd found on her veterinary site. I asked her if Dr. Feeman had written any of it, and sure enough, he was cited as having contributed to the info! I feel very fortunate to have such a great vet in our small town!

Greylyn,

I've certainly learned from this site, too. ;) I'm happy to share our experiences. I hope your girl finds relief for her yeast infections soon. If our situation is helpful, so much the better. :)

I'm so thankful to everyone that's shared their experiences here, as well.

Ady Bea :wub:

Hope she stays well until her surgery and heals quickly thereafter.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest eaglflyt

So FRUSTRATED! We must be our vet's favorite clients ... or his worst nightmare.

Ady Bea has started having a discharge again today and is licking at her behind. We've been on the new food, Vitamin C, Cranberry capsules, probiotics and regular cleaning of the area since completing her last course of antibiotics. I fear we are going down the same path yet again. UGH! Poor girl!!! Her surgery is still scheduled for the 24th of this month, but I think we're going to need to go back on antibiotics and hope it doesn't delay her surgery. The vet should be calling back shortly and we'll take her in if he wishes, of course.

Also, our elderly Dachsie matriarch, Ellie, has developed a mass near one of her nipples. We took her to the vet last week for this and she's currently on antibiotics, on the chance that it may be some mastitis or an infection of some sort. However, there has been a slight change and it now looks a bit like a large blood blister has formed on the top and center of the quarter sized lump. If the antibiotics have no effect, or if the mass enlarges before the antibiotics are finished, we're going straight to lumpectomy and sending it for pathology. We've also got a call in to our vet about this situation. (I'm trying really hard not to think hemangiosarcoma or some other cancer.)

Lastly, I hadn't mentioned it, but 3 weeks ago, we lost our littlest Dachsie, Lily. Yes, dachshunds can climb a fence. She was hit by a car and killed immediately. We live rurally and while there aren't many cars, the few that do travel our area tend to speed. And, a determined little dachshund going after a squirrel can climb a fence at lightning speed. We've learned the hard way.

Sorry for the whine. I'm just a bit overwhelmed and thinking we need to just move into our vet's office. :(

Edited by eaglflyt