Peanut At The E-Vet Today

Guest Smiley

We're not catching much of a break in 2010 as far as staying healthy and well in our house. Peanut came in today and slipped on the hardwood (Pete had the rug up b/c he was mopping, though the floor was dry). The next thing we know, there is a pool of blood and her toenail is sitting cockeyed :( . The nail felt loose in the bed. We were not comfortable waiting until tomorrow to see our regular vet so we had our first foray to our local e-vet. They shaved the toe down and took a look. The vet felt that the nail is still firmly attached, but that there is a possiblity of torn tendons and that the nail may need to be surgically removed. Oy. So tomorrow we will call our vet for another consult to determine what we need to do. What is the recovery like from a toenail removal? Easy peasy, or more involved? Poor Toots, first she loses her bro Smiley and now she's got a hurt foot. She's always been our "well" child, but of the two, the one who is hell on her feet. I'm hoping this will be a simple repair and that she'll recover quickly. We really need everyone to stay well in our house now.

Edited by Smiley

If you're talking just a nail removal, should be no problem at all.

Misty had to have all hers removed and the worst was the bandaging, it hurt her.

So the day after I removed the bandages after getting the ok from my vet and she felt much better and all healed well.

She was running around already on the third day.

Feel better Peanut!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest boondog

Poor Peanut. :( Not to mention poor Mommy and Daddy. Boon cracked his toenail at the base while running in the yard several months ago. I couldn't get it to stop bleeding, so I took him to OSU (of course, he did this after hours). They gave him a mild sedative and cut it all the way back. They bandaged it and we had to change it at home a few times. Other than that, it was not a big deal. I can't remember if he had an antibiotic. His toenail did grow back at a rather odd angle, though. I hope Peanut has a speedy recovery.

oh no, Beth. This sucks. How are you both doing?

I don't know anything about toe nail removal but hope it's problem free.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Energy11

Poor Peanut!

Staggerlee had the same thing happen, and I took care of the toenail. It eventually fell off, and he was on antibiotics for a week. It usually looks a lot worse than it is.

Hopefully, it will be minor, and the vet will take care of it, give you some antibiotics, and all will be well! Good luck, and lots of love!

This is reassuring. I hate when the babies aren't well. And Pete-this is his girl and he gets very stressed when she has anything happen. The great thing about Peanut is that she's so can-do with such a joyful attitude that I'm hoping it will be a quick recovery. Thanks for the feedback-I feel better.

Poor baby.

And I'm sure Peanut's not happy either. :rolleyes:

Kidding aside, you sure have had your fill of vets lately. I hope she heals quickly.

I actually have to bring Brat to the vets tomorrow. She's got an ugly thing on the side of her toe. I'm hoping it's just a splinter she got in there.

If y'all need to mess with bandages or anything unpleasant with Peanut's toe, remember you can put some peanut butter (or other yummy substance) on the inside of a muzzle and let Peanut lick away, oblivious to what you're doing to her foot.

I once needed to get chewing gum off Sam's front foot. I was using peanut butter (oily stuff dissolves gooey stuff), and he kept trying to lick/chew the peanut butter off his foot while I was trying to work. I wound up putting a blob of peanut butter on his hip. Sam turned his head and licked his hip clean, while I was able to clean his foot without interruption.

Good luck with Peanut at the vet's.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Energy11

If y'all need to mess with bandages or anything unpleasant with Peanut's toe, remember you can put some peanut butter (or other yummy substance) on the inside of a muzzle and let Peanut lick away, oblivious to what you're doing to her foot.

I once needed to get chewing gum off Sam's front foot. I was using peanut butter (oily stuff dissolves gooey stuff), and he kept trying to lick/chew the peanut butter off his foot while I was trying to work. I wound up putting a blob of peanut butter on his hip. Sam turned his head and licked his hip clean, while I was able to clean his foot without interruption.

Good luck with Peanut at the vet's.

WOW! What a GREAT idea! Goldie HATES her nails cut, and we've been distracting her with peanut butter tightly packed on a spoon, BUT, last time she went after me, and well, let's just say it was good I had two shirts and a sweatshirt on, cause she got me right on the chicken breast :-( ! We will have to try this one! Thanks! Peanut would probably do well with it for sure!

We took Peanut into our regular vet this morning and holy cow is her toe red and purple. Yikes! Our vet felt the nail was firmly attached and that he didn't want to put her under sedation to remove it when it should be fine. He was more concerned about her knuckle. When Peanut came to us, she had two essentially "frozen" toes on that foot, so the knuckle was already very large. Now the knuckle is extra large and discolored. The vet felt that overall, the toe is very bruised, but should heal within a week. He's got her on some anti-inflammatory meds and we'll see how she does. I am so relieved she doesn't need surgery. We are very happy with this news!

Guest Energy11

That is good news, now about the bruising, but, about not having surgery.

The anti-inflammatories should help with the brusing and swelling. When Curfew dislocated his toe, I used an ice pack intermittenly on it, wrapped in a towel.

Good Luck with this!

Guest bigorangedog

Oh good!! You deserve some good news!!! I am very happy to hear that she does not need surgery. Wishing quick healing for your girl (and you)!

Hugs!!

Jen

:grouphug Hope it heals up quickly and completely!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown