Strange Question Regarding D E S

I've had Raven on DES for spay incontinence for several weeks now and it's working great. No complaints. But I've noticed that Raven is suddenly much more interesting to Tiny. He's always sniffing her and won't leave her alone. When we're out on walks, other male dogs all want to check her out. She doesn't show any symptoms of a UTI or vaginal infection. Could it be that the DES (a synthetic estrogen) makes her smell like an intact female? Thank goodness she's patient. She doesn't like the attention but she hasn't bitten anyone (yet).

I feel like I should hand the poor girl a can of mace to carry, but alas, no opposable thumbs. :blush

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest longdoglady

I have no experience of DES but Anna takes 1 mg of Incurin (estriol- a short acting estrogen) and she rarely attracts unwanted attention. Estriol is a weaker, shorter acting estrogen so has fewer side effects (so I am informed by my UK vet). The higher the dose the more likely Raven is to attract males. If it causes too many problems I'm sure your vet could suggest other options to try, that's if you have not already tried them.

Hope you find a solution to the greyt frustrations in your house. :blush

how much DES are you giving? We give one capsule twice a week. My vet told me that if you give lots of DES it can make a spayed female come into heat.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

I think she just meant the same desirable smell, not that she literally was in heat.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

She only get a single 1 mg capsule once a week, so the dose is pretty low. She doesn't show any signs of actually being in estrus, false or otherwise.

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg