Protein And Crystals In Urine

Missy had a bad UTI..a lot of blood and crystals in urine. One week of baytril, urine still showed bacterial. Urine cultured to show she need one month of Primor 1200mgs..urine brought in Thursday, one week of meds.

Results: no bacteria, a lot of protein and crystals. she is going in morning for sterile/first morning urine to be cultured and blood work to check kidneys. she is 10 1/2...any suggestions! I am nervous. She has been a bit mopey lately. I am calling back to ask about changing her food..since she had crystals the firs urine test..none the second..and now again.

Edited by dbullwinkel

Guest Swifthounds

If she hasn't been off antibiotics for 5-7 days, the culture probably won't be accurate. Some vets remember to tell you that, others not so much.

thanks everyone! Missy has been off the antibiotics since Jan. 26..so I guess we are ok there. Food: my vet won't be in in the morning, but will ask who ever is in or when I speak with her Monday. missy currently eats Prairie beef and barley..i read food for kindneys should be low phosphourus , low protien and low sodium. she is also on metacam for arthritis. last blood to check kidneys was november 08, I think she had blood work since then as she gets it yearly due to metacam...I will be patient and not get all nervous.

Guest lat41065

I have 2 girls that have had crystals and they are on regular kibble take 1000 mg of vit C daily and we havent had an episode in 4 years for one and 1 year for the other. I also have a friend that uses this same routine for her girl after several episodes of crystals irritating the bladder etc ........... Best wishes

Lesley

Guest Energy11

When Isis came to us, she had the same thing. Our Vet put her on Hills Prescription Diet CD. She remained on this for 8 yrs and never had another occurrance of crystals. I hope this

helps.

Yes, I was going to suggest the same thing... CD. It does work on both cats and dogs with crystals in the urine. I'd also wait a week or so, after the antibiotics, before culturing the urine. Good Luck!

Guest JitPatsy

I just adopted Patsy who was prone to UTI's. I changed her water to Brita filtered water and feed her Canidae with some homemade stew (veggies with chicken and/or turkey.) Also started her on Vit C and Cranberry supplements, per my vets suggestion. So far so good but it has only been 2 months. All these suggestion can't hurt.

Good luck,

Ret

I just adopted Patsy who was prone to UTI's. I changed her water to Brita filtered water and feed her Canidae with some homemade stew (veggies with chicken and/or turkey.) Also started her on Vit C and Cranberry supplements, per my vets suggestion. So far so good but it has only been 2 months. All these suggestion can't hurt.

Good luck,

Ret

Thank you..Missy (all the dogs) only get Brita water, for that same reason. Missy is prone to UTI's so they all get it. She is on cranberry as well which also has 100mg vitamin C in each capsule. not sure what the dosage should be. She gets one daily.

She has struvite crystals. I did purchase this product, but have not given it to her. I am sending my vet the link to look at it. Wysong Biotic pH-: http://www.wysong.net/products/pH-dog-cat-supplement.php

Not sure if she wants her on special food for kidneys, or crystals. I will discuss food and the wysong product with her tomorrow.

They did a sterile urine today..when she peed when she finished, I thought the urine had a bloody/dark tint to it. ...Hopefully I will know more tomorrow.

Guest Energy11

Good luck,

Ret

Thank you..Missy (all the dogs) only get Brita water, for that same reason. Missy is prone to UTI's so they all get it. She is on cranberry as well which also has 100mg vitamin C in each capsule. not sure what the dosage should be. She gets one daily.

She has struvite crystals. I did purchase this product, but have not given it to her. I am sending my vet the link to look at it. Wysong Biotic pH-: http://www.wysong.ne...-supplement.php

Not sure if she wants her on special food for kidneys, or crystals. I will discuss food and the wysong product with her tomorrow.

They did a sterile urine today..when she peed when she finished, I thought the urine had a bloody/dark tint to it. ...Hopefully I will know more tomorrow.

Ours only get Brita water too :-) We have HEAVY minerals in our water (well), and when you shower, you can smell the "iron," I guess that is what it is ... in the water. I wouldn't drink it, OR give it to the greykids :-)) Filtered water and CD or it's equal from another company, might just be the ticket :-)) When I worked at the vet in Florida, there was a lady who brought in a HUGE beautiful male kitty. He had terrible problems with crystals in the urine, and urine blockage, BUT, after being on Science Diet CD, which he loved, he was a happy man! The surgery tech adopted him :-))) His name is Danny

Guest LindsaySF

The cranberry and vitamin C will help. Let us know what the vet says about that pH product.

They probably want you to switch her food because of the crystals. Struvite crystals are often formed partly due to phosphate and magnesium in the diet, so a diet low in those ingredients is recommended. The by-products of bacteria make crystals/stones more likely to form though, so treating the UTI will definitely help a lot.

Good luck!

I just spoke with my vet...I obviously had a "senior moment"...Missy does not have crystals..or protein. Just white blood cells in her urine...I could have sworn the vet said protein and crystals! anyway, her blood work came back normal for everything; her kidneys are fine! She will call me when the culture comes back and we will decide from there where to go; food wise, anti-biotic, etc. Her PH is good; she said to continue with the cranberry and do not change food until she gets the results of urine back. So, overall , I am relieved!

just a thought....bladder stones? Had a dog w/ recurring UTI's; found bladder stones.

Connie

YEs, I will ask her about this when she calls on urine culture. She did mention the possibility of stones, but would she have to have crystals for stone to form? Thanks

She did have struvite crystals before the month long treatment with Primor 1200 mg.

Edited by dbullwinkel

I'm not sure which comes first, the crystals or the stones. Stones show up on an x-ray. My dog's problem was too much acid; she needed more basic in her diet. She had surgery for her stones when she was 15-1/2. Made her feel so much better. I used ph strips to measure her pee to make sure it was keeping within specs.

Connie

P.S. This was not a greyhound, it was a westie.

UPDATE: e-mail from my vet...saying the sterile urine culture now showed e-coli..she noted that would explain the protein in the urine..said she will need long term treatment with Nitrofurantoin. She obviously has resistant strain. If symptoms persist or return we will talk about additional diagnostic testing. I will go in to pick up the prescription Saturday when my vet is in. Missy has been panting a bit more lately..I will mention this to her, but I am assuming it is related to the infection? She said to continue the cranberry as it is keeping her ph good.