Samples Needed For Cancer Study

My apologies in advance if this has already been posted or is not appropriate to post here, but having seen multiple posts on at least two of the cancers being studied it seemed worth passing on

Pam

The Van Andel Research Institute, a world class human cancer research institute, recently received a Federally fund grant through the National Institutes of Health/National Cancer Institute, to study five types of cancer that occur in both dogs and humans. The ultimate goal is to develop improved diagnostics and more individualized therapies for both canines and people.

We are requesting the help of purebred dog owners, who may own a dog affected with one of these cancers. The five initial cancers we are studying are:

1) Hemangiosarcoma

2) Lymphoma

3) Osteosarcoma

4) Malignant histiocytosis

5) Melanoma of the mouth or toe

We are requesting fresh (NOT in formalin, NOT frozen) tissue samples from tumors, when pets have biopsies, surgeries such as splenectomies, or are euthanized. Samples may be collected post mortem, as the euthanasia solution does not affect the DNA in either the dog's blood or in the tumor cells.

Additionally, if you have a dog with one of these cancers who has already been treated (splenectomy, chemo, etc), we would still appreciate a blood sample along with a histopath report confirming the diagnosis.

We need 3-5 mls of whole blood in an EDTA (purple top) tube. It can be sent priority mail, and blood can be shipped at room temperature.

If the pet is scheduled for surgery or, sadly, euthanasia, if you or your veterinarian contact us ahead of time, we can FedEx a collection kit which includes an overnight FedEx return shipping form, along with collection media and containers.

Owner consent forms and veterinary info pages can be found on our website, at:

http://www.vai.org/helpingdogs

I will be happy to answer any questions I can, as well. Owners, veterinarians and researchers working together will help us to unravel some of the mysteries of these nasty diseases.

Roe Froman, DVM

Senior Veterinary Research Scientist

Van Andel Research Institute

333 Bostwick Ave NE

Grand Rapids, MI 49503

roe.froman@vai.org

www.vai.org

Guest mcsheltie

This is absolutely appropriate to post. I put this information out a week or so ago and was just thinking about bumping the thread. Several of our group have dogs with Osteo and are contributing to this study. I hope more GH people will see this, pass long the info and participate.

We did contribute numerous samples when Smiley had his surgery (osteo amp) 3 weeks ago for various studies being conducted at OSU. If you would like to contact OSU to obtain the information they collected, I would be fine with that. Just PM me if you need anything.

-Beth