Percorten Vs Florinef For Addisons

Lucky was diagnosed with Cushings several months ago. Through using Vetoril, she has become permanently Addison's.

The vet wants to administer a monthly Percorten shot, supplemented w 5mg of prednisone daily.

I had been thinking that it would be easier to do a once-a-month shot rather than the daily Florinef, until I found out that we'd have to continue the prednisone anyway.

So, since I've got to administer daily meds either way, is there a benefit to using Percorten or Florinef--dosing, testing, cost (cost of meds AND testing--the testing was killing me w the Cushings), side effects, anything else I haven't considered?

Thank you all so much for any info you have.

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Hi Donna,

We dealt with Addison's successfully for many years with our boy Boris (pitbull mix). He passed away 3 years ago after being DX 6 years prior. We used Percorten and pred and had very good results with it. Our vet was great and we gave him his shot ourselves at home every month so it was very convenient. He was pretty consistent about needing his shot every 28 days but sometimes depending on his stress level during the month it could be a day or two earlier but we were alert to the signs and when he needed his shot. He did not suffer any side effects from the DOCP and he lived a very full and active life up to a month shy of his 12th BD. We still have his sister (non-AD) and she will be 15 in May.

There was a great support yahoo group that we used all during that time and you can find the information at this site http://www.k9addisons.com/

Good luck with your journey and if I can help in any way please don't hesitate to ask.

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

8-14-hound-siggy.jpg?gl=US

Living a GREYT life at the Hound Hacienda - Clarkdale, Arizona

Always missing our angel hounds; Parker, Lacey, Bella, Figgy, Macho, Aspen, Kingman and Tillie

When I had this discussion with my vet about Misty, he said that the shot was the way to go. Much better success rate according to him.

As long as this is true Addisions and not an Addisonian crises.

Some vets will tell you that they prefer to make the dog Addisonian as it is much easier to treat.

Addisons is also much cheaper to treat than Cushings

Good thoughts for Lucky

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

When I had this discussion with my vet about Misty, he said that the shot was the way to go. Much better success rate according to him.

Some vets will tell you that they prefer to make the dog Addisonian as it is much easier to treat.

Good thoughts for Lucky

We did the test this week, and, yes, Lucky is permanently Addison's. She's been on prednisone for about three weeks, maybe four.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Good thoughts for Lucky

We did the test this week, and, yes, Lucky is permanently Addison's. She's been on prednisone for about three weeks, maybe four.

Please keep us posted Donna.

Financially you should feel a huge relief as the ACTH won't have to be done as often as when trying to stabilize with Cushings, as well as it's less for the meds.

Lucky will also feel relief from all those trips to the vet

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless