My Grey Has Cancer

Guest luciofoz

Guest luciofoz

Hi,

I could really use your support, advice and suggestions about my sweet greyhound, Ruby. Ruby is 12 years old and has just been diagnosed with histiocytic sarcoma. It started as a lump on her leg, that was hardly noticeable. I took her to the vet immediately and he did not seem overly concerned and said that we could remove it or watch it for awhile. At that time, I decided to wait and see. After a day of thinking it over, I decided that I did not like the looks of it and had it removed. It was an easy process, just a local, and she was in and out in about 20 minutes. They told me that if the lump was a cyst, they would not send it in for a biopsy. It didn't appear to be a cyst, so they sent it in for a biopsy. That's when they found out that it was malignant. The vet wasn't sure if he got it all and recommended that the lump be sent in for a "stain". He also recommended xrays which he called "staging" and I had that done also. The xrays revealed a suspicion growth and so my vet sent her case down to the cancer center in Tustin to get them to look it over. He was working with Dr. Fuechi (?). I just heard from my vet a little while ago telling me what she has. The cancer center has determined it was a highly, highly aggressive tumor and it has metasticized, and my sweet Ruby was given 6 months to live, with or without treatment. I have decided to do my best to keep her comfortable, pain free, with her high quality of life. Ruby is not acting sick at all - she eats like a pig, is the alpha for my other 4 dogs (3 male greyhounds and a Llasa mix male) and loves going for walks and outings. She is a therapy dog and has been for many years. She is such a wonderful, special dog. One of my other greyhounds, Avanti, is so attached to her, always has been. I have called them my twins for years because they look so similar and Avanti absolutely adores Ruby. So, I'm just asking if anyone has had any experience with this type of cancer and could offer some advice or encouraging words for my sweet girl. I am absolutely inconsolable, because I'm sure we all want our babies to pass from old age and not something ugly like cancer. Thanks so much for reading this.

Luci

Hi, Luci. I don't have any experience with this type of cancer, but, I wanted to send positive thoughts for Ruby and a big hug for you. I'm sorry that you've found Greytalk under these circumstances....but, I'm sure that someone will chime in with lots of good advice soon!

:grouphug

Hi Luci. Your Ruby sounds like an amazing girl. I'm so sorry you have gotten this terrible news. I have no advice to give, but others will. Just hugs from me to you and another for Ruby.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

I'm sorry you've gotten bad news.

It sounds like they are thinking malignant histiocytosis? If so, there is a lot of information here:

http://www.histiocytosis.ucdavis.edu/

My angel Batman had it. He had a mass in his chest cavity, that compressed his esophagus. He had @ 6 months after diagnosis. Except for a day here and there where he didn't want to eat and we gave some supportive meds and got creative with food, those were good months. Gradually slowing down but still eating well with encouragement, enjoying his toys and his people, etc.

I hope you will have that time with your pupper, good time that you can make some smiles together.

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GryffinSong

I'm so very sorry. I have no experience with that particular cancer, but my boy Gryffin was recently diagnosed with osteosarcoma, and he's likely to only have a few months left. It is truly terrible to think of losing our beautiful, athletic friends to this monster. My thoughts are with you in this very difficult time. :grouphug

Guest FordRacingRon

Hi,,this is Ron from the Yahoo group and I am glad you made it here, but as I told you I am so sorry for your and the circumstances. There are a lot of people here that will give you support , now and for as long as you need it.

Welcome to GT. I am saddened to read why you are here... I am very sorry.

We lost our beautiful Polli- to OS. Cancer sucks. No other words for it.

I don't have ay advice other than to enjoy your time, make more memories and know you always have your extended family here to lean on.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest PhillyPups

Hi Luci and as said before, welcome to GT. I am so sorry that you had to find us this way. Ruby sounds like an awesome girl.

I have no experience with this type of cancer, but will keep you and Ruby in my prayers as you travel this most difficult journey. :bighug

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug I am so sorry to hear this. We just lost my Smiley to osteosarcoma and I know just how devastating a cancer diagnosis is. We are all here for you and I'll be sending good thoughts to you and your Ruby.

While many of us do not have experience with this type of cancer, there are many here who have taken this journey with their pups they love dearly. They and the rest of us will be here for you to talk to, lean on or when you just need someone to listen. Let Ruby know that her 'family' just grew by leaps and bounds and love is coming her way.

Give her hug from me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest eaglflyt

I don't have any experience with this type of cancer. However, I just wanted you to know that I'm keeping you and Ruby in my prayers. Also, I can tell how very loved Ruby is and want to thank you for all the giving the two of you have offered to others with her therapy dog visits. Hugs and prayers for both of you from Oklahoma. :grouphug

Guest luciofoz

I want to say how very touched I am by all of you reaching out to me regarding my Ruby. It is immeasurable comfort to hear from you all. Out of bad things come good things, and Ruby's condition has led me to you all. Thank you so much.

Oh, I'm so sorry Ruby has gotten this terrible diagnosis. Unfortunately, there are too many of us who understand what you are going through, even if not for this particular type of cancer. It is a monster in whatever form it takes, and we just do what we can to keep them safe and loved and free of pain for as long as possible.

Please, now that you have found GT, come here whenever you need to talk or vent or cry or celebrate your sweet girl.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I am sorry to read of Ruby's diagnosis. I hope she has many more good days to share with you and your other pets.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds