Afraid Of School Bell Sound

Guest Krisi

Our "new" greyhound is doing wonderfully in our home after only six weeks with one exception: she is afraid of the school bell ring. As part of her daily walks, my husband or I take her to our daughter's elementary school for pick up. While waiting outside the fence, Esme (our greyhound) strains to leave the area. No panting or whining - just 63 lbs of force pulling on the leash. Obviously, we have to wait until our daughter arrives. After watching a greyhound race on YouTube, I heard the similarities of the race bell to the school bell. Should we continue to take her with us to school & have her work through her anxiety over the sound (assuming that is what it is - she is an otherwise very well-adjusted dog) or should we leave her at home? I want her to know that her racing career is over & enjoy her bonus mid-day walk. Any suggestions?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Are you sure she's afraid of the bell? Its probably the opposite, she is really excited when she hears the bell. Most hounds remember the sound of the screeching metal sound the lure makes and will loose their mind when they hear it. She should get better with the sound the more she hears it. I wouldnt worry too much.

Chad

I agree with Chad she may be more excited than scared. My boy goes nuts when we visit friends with an automatic garage door opener. It sounds a lot like the mechanical lure.

It may be a good idea to bring along dog treats to keep her engaged with you or distracted while the alarm is going off and eventually teach her to sit at the sound of the school bell. I over simplified it but it is probably time to teach her that sound doesn't mean run it means wait for the little human to arrive.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

I agree with maybe having her sit when the bell rings and reward her. If she can't sit maybe something else like a "hug" where they lean in to give you a hug or a "heel" position by your side. That way she can learn a new command :)

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Try giving her treats when the bell rings so she'll have a good association with the sound. Sorta like Pavlov goes to school. :)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

What Macoduck said.

It's not necessary to shield a dog from anything that makes it uncomfortable! Get her to associate the trip to the school with a treat (but don't reinforce the fear with cooing and coddling--be matter of fact, say, "Good girl Esme, let's wait for [insert name of child here]! Here's your cookie!" in a bright and happy tone.

I happen to live right next to train tracks, and as you can imagine, the train is pretty loud and somewhat intimidating when it goes by and I'm out with George, so this is what I've done. Now the second he hears the train coming, he's poking my hand for a cookie! He's not (and never was I don't think) in the least bit afraid of the train, and I have created a treat monster!

You might consider one of 2Hounds wonderful "no pull" harnesses though, just in case!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

lol Rainy got amped up from a squeaky swing set. Must sound like a squeaky lure? She calmed down once I walked her to the swing set and she finally figure out it wasn't a lure. Try giving her treats and praise before and during the bell.

------

Jessica