Questions About Sitting And Standing

So these aren't problems, but I'd like to ask all the behaviorists and experienced dog people what they think these mean. I'm still learning to "read" Capri and need a little help.

First, standing:

Capri likes to stand behind me. If she walks into the room where I am, she will deliberately walk over to me and around behind me before coming to a stop. It's only a problem - and then a giggly one - when I want to put her coat on and we end up circling each other several times before I can get the coat on.

She's double-bonded to DH and myself, which is fantastic. So she often has to choose who to stand behind. Sometimes she'll stand behind me for a few seconds, and then go stand behind DH, or vica versa. It's so cute when she stands behind him and peeks at me from behind his leg. She always has this soft cow-eyed expression when she is standing behind mommy or daddy, so I know it's something good to her.

Is she doing this to make herself comfortable? Why behind and not just near? Feral dogs in a pack don't stand behind their pack leader, do they?

Also, sitting:

She doesn't sit spontaneously very often, but I have seen her do it in the yard from time to time. Seems a touch bored, or just hanging out. She sits on command and to beg, but I understand those, so let's ignore that for now. I'm curious about why she decides on her own to sit - rather than sphynx or keep standing.

The other day on a walk I stopped for a couple minutes to talk to another dog-walker and she sat down. The other dog was at first a little hostile, but he calmed down quickly. And the other person knew her dog was like that so she went over into the middle of the street to keep him away from us on the sidewalk. So while I was chatting across about 50 feet to this other person, I glanced down and noticed that Capri was sitting. Directly in front of me, perfect posture, looking at the lady and her dog. She sat there for several minutes while we talked. It couldn't have been more perfect if she was a trained movie dog, and we made a really cute picture standing there together.

I guess my question is, given how so many greys don't care to sit (or don't know how), why would one choose to sit on occasion?

Or am I overthinking it? :lol

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I can't comment on the standing, but Beth sits spontaneously pretty often -- in the same situations you cite. She very often sits when she's on any kind of hill facing downwards. I think the way it's a "mom, I'm bored" sign when I'm talking to someone is pretty funny. FWIW I don't think she ever sphinxes outdoors unless she's been running and is hot/tired.

I think the idea that all greyhounds hate to sit may be overrated as a generalization. Those who do it spontaneously clearly don't hate it. Beth sits on command, too, but once she got the idea that doing so was a source of treats she'll drop into a sit while we're on a walk to bribe me for a treat, even when I don't want her to!

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

for the standing behind someone thing.......is she 'face shy'? I've met a few dogs that are friendly as can be in every way, but balk when someone puts their hands near their face and they will do anything to avoid that contact. I had one dog that would bury his face between my legs when ppl approached and tried to stroke his head (which is the first place most ppl aim for when petting a dog).

try having some yummie food to lure her into standing infront or next to you. praise, treat, praise, coat, treat, praise.

it sounds like your gal will open up and respond to some clicker training. check it out, karen prior has written many articles on it. also if you decide to go for it look for an obedience club or school. check out both the akc and apdt(american pet dogs training assoc.) for registered trainers/schools.

remember to have fun!

Oh, it's not a problem, just a quirk, I guess. She does often stand next to or in front of us. But just as often she will stand behind us. And then follow, like a duckling. Or like she's heeling off-leash. She's adorable.

this morning she sat in the snow. But this time her face said "what are you crazy people doing out here? Come back inside already!"

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest NeverSayNever

I've seen spontaneous sits most often when they are cold.... but otherwise I wouldn't overthink it too much.

With standing behind you, she might be avoiding a direct approach. In the dog world, face to face greetings aren't always appreciated. Nose to tail is more appropriate. People are often very direct and want to face their dogs head on. Most dogs get used to our "monkey" ways, but some can be sensitive to it. You might try not looking at her directly, not facing her directly, not leaning over her, etc. Try being very indirect by turning your head away, overting your eyes, approaching from a shoulder.... see if that softens her will to stand behind you..... if its not that... no idea. :-)