Statueing - Major Vent

Guest Jubilee251

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest krey1025

Thank you Jenn! It's great to have found this big community of supporters out there. Last night I tried enticing Peet with chicken, which seemed to help. He still froze up a bit on our way home, but at least we were able to walk a little. I'll keep you posted on how things progress...

Guest Jubilee251

Hey Krey1025,

If it gives you hope, Molly no longer does this. She stopped statue-ing after a couple of months home with us. We just had to be firm. :)

welcome.gif My big guy used to do this as well. Most frightening when trying to cross a street. crazy.gif Anyway, he too outgrew it quickly. Patience & redirection.

( I see you're living in the land of my birth. lol.gif)

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest fandogs

I think Harry's idea is a good one, if you do it correctly.

I'm thinking back to our farm training days.. when we would first put a leash on a young pup.. and deal with an automatic statue. (Rodin, will work here). These pups were 12 -16 months old, so they were pretty close to their racing weight.

The way we dealt with it, was first of all, we were using a short lead, not a 6 foot leash, that helped with some control.

Once the dog stopped moving forward and refused at tugs and verbal urging, we would give them a few seconds to re-group mentally. If they still balked, we would scoop them up with our arm, over their back and around their chest,lift their front legs off the ground and walk them on their two hind legs, till they were moving again. Once they showed us they were no longer statuing, we would let them back down on all fours. We kept that up till the behavior stopped. (Of course if your dog is 90 pounds, this action might not be possible. Remember you are lifting them and they are balancing on their hinds.. you are not carrying them.

Edited by fandogs

Guest krey1025

Thank you everyone for great suggestions, and most of all, support and good thoughts! Happy to say today was a much better outing for Peet. He froze up a couple of times, but I let him collect his thoughts for a few moments, pulled him a little and then he started walking. I think he gets overwhelmed by the sights and sounds of his new surroundings. Oh, and delicious pieces of leftover chicken burger certainly helped! Unfortunately he's 80 lbs (and I'm not much bigger) so picking him up isn't an option. Hoping tomorrow is just as good and even better!

Sweetdogs - you live in the land of my growing-up! I'm from northern NJ myself!

Guest mirinaaronsmom

I'm so glad this topic was resurrected. I've just started fostering (Elliot is my 2nd) and have been encountering this issue with him. I figured it was just because everything was so new and interesting - he wants to take it all in. Last night was especially interesting because it was very windy. It was also unseasonably warm and there were lots of people out and about, so he had many distractions. So far keeping a short leash and an upbeat 'C'mon' have worked. But I always appreciate more suggestions - I'm sure he'll get better. It's interesting to see how different each hound is - I never had these issues with either of my own hounds. And I learn so much from each one.

Phyllis and Miriam and foster Elliot (and Aaron, gone but still loved)

Guest krey1025

Hi carronstar, thanks for the offer! We're up in Riverdale, not a far drive to Riverside Park or Central Park, and my brother actually lives on the UWS with his boston terrier, Otis. Peet has been doing a bit better, I notice that it's toughest in the morning when there are lots of distractions around the front of our building. Delicious treats and patience have helped, although yesterday he caught sight of a cat and then an opposum and there was no forgetting them...our walk was pretty short! Actually right now we are considering taking him to the vet because he has been limping for last 3 days. I think he might have done something while playing with my brother's dog on Sunday. He did have a broken hind leg from his racing days, and which he had surgery on prior to us adopting him. But it's his front right leg that he seems to be favoring. Doesn't seem to cause him any pain, and I can't see anything wrong with his pads, nails, etc. I wonder if he maybe just strained something.

Guest Trish66

I'm so glad I found this thread! I adopted Alex this past Friday and for the first few days walks were fine. But yesterday, he started balking 2 or 3 times during each walk (I don't have a fenced-in yard so we have to walk 4-5 times a day.) We're walking in essentially the same area so I'm not sure what it is that's causing him stress. But at least now I have a few tricks that I can use - thanks!

(As a first-time dog owner, I spent 2 months researching greyhounds to make sure it would be a good fit - funny how NONE of the stuff I read mentioned this "wonderful" little habit!)

Guest Stripeyfan

Kelly statues if he sees a cat. And then NOTHING will make him move except if I walk round in front of him and then walk gently into him, which gets him walking again... albeit sideways with his head wrapped round my leg so he can still see the cat! rolleyes.gif

Guest krey1025

Trish, you and I are in the same boat! I chalk it up to the unique things that each animal (and breed, and species) brings with them. If I had known half the things that ended up happening with my old lady cats (RIP Shadow and Leah!), I'm sure I would have thought twice. Anyway, this morning was the first where I didn't have to fight with Peet at all, so things seem to get better. We went out around 8:15 (he never wakes us up early to go out, and I was feeling a little lazy), and I'm starting to wonder if he is not thrilled with getting up to go out at 6am, when I usually take him before work! Guess he fits right in around my house...not big morning people! ha!

Guest Trish66

Yes, Krey1025, you're probably right - I have to remember they're all unique w/ their own quirks. Congrats on a good walk w/ Peet this morning. Alex was doing fine on his noon walk today until he saw a chihuahua who was walking around w/ no leash! But, oh well, we'll keep working at it :)

Actually right now we are considering taking him to the vet because he has been limping for last 3 days. I think he might have done something while playing with my brother's dog on Sunday. He did have a broken hind leg from his racing days, and which he had surgery on prior to us adopting him. But it's his front right leg that he seems to be favoring. Doesn't seem to cause him any pain, and I can't see anything wrong with his pads, nails, etc. I wonder if he maybe just strained something.

When I got my first 2 hounds, I thought the more I walked them the better (didn't have a fenced yard at the time). They both ended up with very sore pads. Sore enough that they wouldn't put weight on the worst paws. Took quite a while for the pads to toughen up.

My new boy has corns (something else you don't see mentioned often except on greyhound lists - check the health & medical forum here). They can be very painful & very hard to find. Most vets won't know to look for them because they are rarely found in other breeds. I hope Peet doesn't have them but there are lots of treatments for them if he does. Check the 2 center pads for a teeny hard circle (pinhead size). if you can see or feel something not like the other pads, it might be a corn. Or it could just be a sore pad or a sprain. Maybe Peet will tell you. tongue.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest PhillyPups

:wave Hi welcome from Philly :wave

It seems both Peet and Alex are new to the retirement world. There are new sights, sounds and smells for them. Add that to their senses being so much more intune than ours and it is a big scary world there. Especially in the city. Greyhounds are usually raised and trained on a farm, then go to a track environment. The sights and sounds are so different than in a home. I nderstand statuing can be frustrating, but as time teaches them to trust us and then the environment we take them to it usually stops. Greyhounds are unique as they usually come to homelife as adults, not crazy little puppies.

Add to the mix that for the first time they are living without another greyhound to "show them the ropes" (I have 5 ranging in age from 6 to 12-3/4, none of which have ever spent a night without another greyhound) and it is a big scary world you brought them to. They will learn in time, patience, consistency and love work miracles. I would love to see this thread ressurect again in 6 months and read about Peet and Alex's progress. :lol

You may see nothing, they may see a feather that is out of our eyesight.

Again, welcome and give time for their adjustment too

Edited by PhillyPups

Guest krey1025

Thank you for the info sweetpups - I think we've narrowed it down to one of his toes that hurts - we thing he stubbed or caught it in the rug as he was running around the house with his cousin, Otis (a Boston). Today seems better, and we are keeping the rambunctiousness to a minimum (or as much as we can). I'll keep you posted!

Also, thanks for the words of encouragement PhillyPups! We are definitely seeing Peet's personality come out more and more everyday...he's a real sweetheart, with a goofy, mischievious side to him we think. :D We're teaching him homelife, and he's teaching us patience!

Happy turkey day all!

Guest fathermark

I've had the same problem with Jay. I've discovered that if I trot in place a little and then trot foward, he follows me. The neighbors must think I'm crazy, but it works most of the time.