Car Rides

Guest cwalsh156

Guest cwalsh156

Eddie loves to go for rides, I got a dog gate for the back of my wagon... I have to lift him into the back. How can I train him to jump in....I have no problem putting him in myself I just dont want him to get used to it and to be able to do it himself. Ive tried treats but to no avail and I dont dare buy those doggie stairs.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I say paws up and then give a butt boost. A few of my girls just leap in. Most of them do eventually, because they love the car and we go places so often. I took a couple of mine for a walk this afternoon and both were ridiculously excited when we walked past the van.

If he just came off the track, chances are he already knows how to jump up into a crate -- he just hasn't translated that into jumping into a car yet. I'm assuming you have him on a leash. If he balks the first time, just take him by the leash, walk him around in a circle to come back to the car and say something like "kennel up" or "up". Sometimes they just pull the wool over our eyes so they can get a free ride, so to speak. :P A friend of mine who did a lot of volunteer work at the kennel taught me this. And, it works most of the time.

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

I've heard the girls are often better at leaping in because they always get the upper crates at the kennel. Mine always leaps right in unless she's distracted or needs to reposition for a better angle, so unfortunately I can't offer any suggestions!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest missecho

Get a couple of very high value treats. Open the back of the wagon or SUV. Show the dog the treat, then throw it in the car. The dog will jump in to get it. Then you act excited and pleased, and give them another treat, etc.

Just took one time with Molly using this technique, after I had been lifting her into the back of the car for weeks.

Remember that they actually are built a lot like kangaroos. They can jump amazingly high.

One caution: don't let them put their front legs on the tailgate, and then try to climb in. This may tear the delicate skin on their inside thigh.

Clarification on high value treat: some freshly cooked chicken or, Molly's all-time favorite, a piece of BBQ beef.

The usual store bought doggie treats won't work.

Edited by missecho

Guest cwalsh156

If he just came off the track, chances are he already knows how to jump up into a crate -- he just hasn't translated that into jumping into a car yet. I'm assuming you have him on a leash. If he balks the first time, just take him by the leash, walk him around in a circle to come back to the car and say something like "kennel up" or "up". Sometimes they just pull the wool over our eyes so they can get a free ride, so to speak. :P A friend of mine who did a lot of volunteer work at the kennel taught me this. And, it works most of the time.

He did it yesterday! did a tiny circle and he jumped right in! I didnt even say up or jump or anything, its like he needed a few feet to get a little momentum or something. Thanks!I had to give him a treat of course because that was the first time he did that.

Guest BarneysMom

We also have a wagon, and after about 8 months of lifting up his butt to help him in, Barney just jumped right in one day - just like that. Sometimes we need to take a few steps back or do a couple of circles to prepare for the jump. lol.gif But for those who are still lifting up butts - there is still hope, one day they might just start doing it!

It can take a little while. My (non-Grey) puppy was the same way...now he gets in on his own. He just needed to learn that he got to go to fun places, and get rewards when he got there.

I also use the phrase "Load up!" in a happy, cheerful voice when I scoop him in. That way, he starts to make the connection that I want him inside the vehicle, and then he gets a treat.

He learned! At this time, he climbs in, rather than jumping, but that's okay - he does it on his own, and that's what matters.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Raven has always bounced into the back like a pro. Argus had to be lifted in the first few times, and then he figured it out and jumped in all on his own. Tiny still has to be helped, but he's so... NOT tiny... that we've had to come to a compromise because lifting him was horrible for both of us. He now puts his front end into the car, then waits for me to give his back end a boost. It works.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Woodie is our non-leaper. He seems stiffer than our other two and if he is tired after a walk, he almost always needs a boost. Most times, he puts his front paws up and I provide a lower step with my hand for one of his back paws. Every once in awhile, he'll just refuse to get in at the time we want him to and the "Come on"'s and "Up"'s won't work so we will plant his front paws into the car. Usually this is on a hot day after a walk, of course! Because there are the rare times when he jumps in pell-mell...it's always a bit of a surprise when he does and puts a smile on my face! The level of excitement determines his flexibility, I think!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Guest greytmiles

Get a couple of very high value treats. Open the back of the wagon or SUV. Show the dog the treat, then throw it in the car. The dog will jump in to get it. Then you act excited and pleased, and give them another treat, etc.

Just took one time with Molly using this technique, after I had been lifting her into the back of the car for weeks.

Remember that they actually are built a lot like kangaroos. They can jump amazingly high.

One caution: don't let them put their front legs on the tailgate, and then try to climb in. This may tear the delicate skin on their inside thigh.

Clarification on high value treat: some freshly cooked chicken or, Molly's all-time favorite, a piece of BBQ beef.

The usual store bought doggie treats won't work.

I tried this over the weekend, and it totally worked! 100%!! Thanks so much. :yay