Please Help

Guest angelwings

Guest angelwings

My greyhound, they think had a seizure and she is not able to stand or use her back legs and don't know what happened! She was in hospital from Monday to Wednesday. They did blood work and a xray. Her liver enzines were elevated and had muscle damage done. I'm having a thing build for her so I am able to help her get moving. It takes two people with towels under her to keep her up and I'm not able to do that. So the welder is making me something for her. Also I'm getting some diapers for her. How high up are the diapers suppose to go?

Also if anyone has any tips, ideas or suggestions on how to work with her or make it easier on me that would be great.

She has had one accupunture treatment already. My other greyhound has bone cancer.

My

Guest angelwings

Is your dog seizing right now? How long has it gone on?

No , she is nine years old and never had anything like this happen before. We found her laying in the snow bank.

Others who are smarter will be along shortly but this does not sound like a seizure. This sounds more like a stroke or FCE or even a disk/spinal cord injury. I'm very glad you appear to be working with a vet or two. Did they start her on medications, if so, what? Other then the blood work, was there any kind of testing done and to you have the results yet? When you say muscle damage done -- was that indicated in the blood work by elevated CK, LDH and AST? Those are enzymes that are released by muscles that are under stress.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest Energy11

From what your are describing, your dog needs to see a vet. It is hard to determine whether the dog is having a stroke or seizure. I would say STROKE from what you are describing. My own dog, Curfew, had similar symptoms about 18 months ago.. they called it a stoke. If this were MY dog, I'd get it to the vets ASAP! When my dog Curfew had his first major "stroke," he was unconsious. We can give advice here, but we are not vets.

I'd get your dog to the vets asap, and in the meantime, sending you love, hugs, and good luck!

Edited by Energy11

I have no advice for you, but wish you all the best. I can feel your pain in your note.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

It sounds like you pup had a stroke. There are a few hounds here on GT who have suffered strokes and made complete recoveries. My Andy had a stroke but unfortunately his paralyzed him from the neck down.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest angelwings

My dog was at the clinic for two and half days. She had IV fluids and pain medication, blood tests and a xray. She was in very good hands. I also had my other Vet go there to the clinic and gave her a accupuncuture treatment also. She is home now and resting very well. Any ideas on phyical therphy to get her going? I am moving her rear legs and turning her. She is gaining strength and can sit up now.

The muscle damage showed up on the blood. Does anyone on here have any tips, suggestions or ideas on how to work with her?

Thanks so much!

If she had a stroke, acupuncture may really help. Seems like she's improving, which is great.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest LindsaySF

It doesn't sound like a seizure. It sounds like a stroke with paralysis.

I don't have any physical therapy advice, sorry. Maybe your vet can refer you to someone who can give you some tips?

That is great that she can sit up. :thumbs-up Hopefully she continues to improve.

There are a couple of people who may be able to offer advice. I'll try to send them this way. Hang in there, I know this is scary.

Off to rally the troups.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest angelwings

It sounds like you pup had a stroke. There are a few hounds here on GT who have suffered strokes and made complete recoveries. My Andy had a stroke but unfortunately his paralyzed him from the neck down.

I am so very sorry to hear that!

Hugs, Karen

I don't have significant experience in this area either but will direct another person or two here. Don't give up too soon -- improvement can be slow but if she's had a stroke there's a good chance she will indeed recover.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Our boy, Alan, was paralyzed in his rear legs from a FCE. High doses of steroids within a few hours of the stroke should be given. Hydrotherapy worked wonders for Alan! He went 2 xs a week to walk on the underwater treadmill.He only has about 85% use of his rear left leg but he regained full use of his rear right leg. We set him up in an ex-pen in the kitchen when he first came home from the hospital because it was close to the door to go outside. My husband and I took turns sleeping on the kitchen floor next to him! It was a struggle for many months but he's doing greyt today, just walks with a limp.

Don't give up, there is hope. Your persistence with care will mean all the difference in your hound's recovery.

Edited by greytdecals

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey