New To Greys, Maybe I Made A Mistake

Guest greydreams

Guest LindsaySF

Glad you are feeling a little better about everything. smile.gif

I think it's fine to muzzle him in the house and in the yard, because you have 2 small dogs, you need to be on the safe side. Once he has settled in more and he seems trustworthy around the little guys in the house (with you present), you can take the muzzle off. The timing totally depends on the dog though. Sometimes this can be a few days, a few weeks, or several months. I would always muzzle or separate them when you're not there. (This is the same advice I would give for cats).

As for the yard, I would always muzzle him in the yard, just in case. Even in play he could accidentally hurt one of the small dogs, and the size difference is just too great. Supervision is the best solution, but muzzling can't hurt, and better safe than sorry.

As for muzzling on walks, that's up to you. If you are walking him with your 2 small dogs and you aren't sure they all get along yet, then you might feel better with him muzzled. Don't worry about what people say, but if they ask you can just say he's brand new to your house and you want to make sure everyone gets along. smile.gif If you are walking him alone and you are afraid he will hurt a small dog/animal on the walk, if you have him leashed and have a good grip this shouldn't be a problem. Some people feel better with the hound muzzled, but I don't like to muzzle on walks because if a loose dog comes after your muzzled dog he is defenseless.

The growling in bed is pretty common. Do a search online and on this forum for "sleep aggression", "sleep startle", and "space aggression". I would give him more time to get used to your home before he is allowed on any furniture. He might be okay over time, or he might always have sleep/space issues and can't be on the furniture, only time will tell.

Congrats on adopting him. We'd love to see pictures!

~Lindsay~

I did not read all the posts thoroughly. I skimmed. But I did not see this answer:

What is a brand new Greyhound doing in the yard with small dogs?! If you read the Dummies book or the Branigan book, they both would tell you that a sighthound has not business being outside with small dogs!! You adoption group should have told you that too.

That above paragraph is harsh, and I apologize for that. But I feel this is very important. Realize, of course, that I am assuming a lot: if he is muzzled, the small ones are out there with him. I did not actually see that written. But if they are not out there, there should be no reason for muzzling.

The reason you would not want small dogs outside with the Greyhound is simple: they will elicit prey drive! And the results would be disastrous! Even my big guys, who were raised with a papillion and several cats, and who never raced (they are not Greyhounds), would NOT be allowed outside with anything that small. They are very small dog safe, but outside, all bets are off.

Please be careful.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest KennelMom

Relax a little. Greyhounds are very in tune with people. If you are stressed out, nervous and expecting the worst, that is probably what you will create.

They are not vicious, bloodthirsty monsters just waiting to rip you or little dogs to shreds. I promise. ;) They are retired professional athletes who've never lived in a pet home before and need to learn what their new life is about.

Be careful and cautious, but not scared and paranoid. Muzzles are a safetey tool in the beginning, like a bike helmet. It can keep the dog from getting into trouble because they haven't mastered all the rules of pet life yet.

Edited by KennelMom

Welcome :welcome Kennel mom has it all wrapped up, :nod be CALM, yes these are new, and exciting adventures for all of you, :colgate set your rules, and stick to them, I am a long time large dog owner and this grey had a different agenda than me, :huh2 I had to learn this, from racer to pet, how confused he must be, :unsure me too, only thing to remember is calm you will be just fine, :paw

Guest greydreams

I did not read all the posts thoroughly. I skimmed. But I did not see this answer:

What is a brand new Greyhound doing in the yard with small dogs?! If you read the Dummies book or the Branigan book, they both would tell you that a sighthound has not business being outside with small dogs!! You adoption group should have told you that too.

That above paragraph is harsh, and I apologize for that. But I feel this is very important. Realize, of course, that I am assuming a lot: if he is muzzled, the small ones are out there with him. I did not actually see that written. But if they are not out there, there should be no reason for muzzling.

The reason you would not want small dogs outside with the Greyhound is simple: they will elicit prey drive! And the results would be disastrous! Even my big guys, who were raised with a papillion and several cats, and who never raced (they are not Greyhounds), would NOT be allowed outside with anything that small. They are very small dog safe, but outside, all bets are off.

Please be careful.

Actually, I don't let the small ones out with Al, he goes alone. He plays at the fence with the neighbors female German Sherpard, or plays by himself, he seems to be able to entertain himself quite well. I let the yorkie out one time when Al had his muzzle on and I thought he was going to get run over so I won't do that again. Thanks for your concern for the safety of all my dogs, I appreciate it.

Please be careful.

Actually, I don't let the small ones out with Al, he goes alone. He plays at the fence with the neighbors female German Sherpard, or plays by himself, he seems to be able to entertain himself quite well. I let the yorkie out one time when Al had his muzzle on and I thought he was going to get run over so I won't do that again. Thanks for your concern for the safety of all my dogs, I appreciate it.

Okay, then I jumped the gun! :) Glad to hear I was wrong.

In that case, I don't feel that he'd need to be muzzled when outside. My Greyhound is, but only because she eats poop, and the muzzle has a stool guard to prevent that. I don't like cleaning it up after she gets sick! :puke

Do be careful about playing at the fence, though. Many times, it's nothing, but I have seen dogs get aggressive when allowed to do that. That can lead to re-directed aggression, and get someone bitten. If at all possible, can you and your neighbor allow the two to meet, and become friends? Then you can allow them to play (closely supervised, of course), in contact with each other, not through the fence?

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest greydreams

Ok, I will sure watch out for the fence play. I am sure my neighbors will be willing to meet. I heard the mom tell Mia (the German Shepard girl) when she first saw Al in my yard "Yes, Mia, I see the new dog, you will meet him and you can play together". Just haven't hooked up yet.

Edited by greydreams