Copper's Having "spells"

The background: My old man Copper will be 10 in August. He's been with us almost 5 years and we've never had any health issues with him. He's the oldest and the largest grey in our home and so should be the leader of the pack, and he was until we brought Toni home a year ago. Toni is very confident, and despite being the smallest and youngest, she's sort of a bully and would push Copper out if I let her. Copper is kind of a weeny. He has fairly well developed cataracts though he can still see quite well.

So, about three weeks ago, Copper started having these spells. Not very many, but enough that both myself and the DH noticed and commented on separately. He's a compulsive nester so we're used to him being restless at night, but several times he's gotten up and seemed to get "stuck" just standing in the bedroom - like he doesn't know where to go or how to turn around, where he is, very confused. Once we lead him to his bed he's OK and settles right down like nothing's wrong. Just this morning, he walked away from his breakfast bowl when I put it down like he didn't know where he was supposed to eat, and he tried to get in Toni's bowl. Once I lead him back to his bowl he tucked in and ate it without a blip like he does every morning.

He just had a check up and blood work before a dental in November and everything was completely normal and fine. There's no temperature and he's acting fine in every other way.

Is this something to be really concerned over??? Is it medical or is something behavioral going on??? Is he just getting older and we should help him out when he needs it??

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Might want to consider having his eyes checked by a good doggy eye doctor. Also consider the possibility that he may be having small TIA's. Time for a good check up with bloodwork.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest mcsheltie

There is something they call Old Dog Syndrome. I found this that can describe it better than I could.

Mason used to get stuck (sometimes in the middle of the room) and act like he didn't know where he was. When I lead him a couple steps he seemed to come back to the present.

Guest TheUnrulyHound

My Mothers Westie who is 18 has been doing this kindof thing! McShelties link explains his behavior very well, I will send this on to my mom thanks :)

What is a TIA??

Guest Energy11

When we adopted Dasher, 13, had did this (*wandering, confusioin, etc). Dr. B, my vet/employer said it was probably "doggie Alzeimers," and put him on a medication to help it (the name escapes me). It did seem to help him.

Also, as one of the other poster mentioned, it would be "mini strokes," or eye sight problems. Guess a trip to the vet couldn't hurt.

Good Luck with this!

There is something they call Old Dog Syndrome. I found this that can describe it better than I could.

Mason used to get stuck (sometimes in the middle of the room) and act like he didn't know where he was. When I lead him a couple steps he seemed to come back to the present.

This was my first thought too. I went through this with Gambler, even at the dog park he would stand there and look very lost. I would call his name and he would come running like OMG, there you are.

Tanner started doing the same thing.

I would mention it to your vet and see what he/she thinks

What is a TIA??

Simple answer is a mini stroke

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

When we adopted Dasher, 13, had did this (*wandering, confusioin, etc). Dr. B, my vet/employer said it was probably "doggie Alzeimers," and put him on a medication to help it (the name escapes me). It did seem to help him.

That med was probably Anipryl (generic is selegiline), actually a Parkinson's med that is now used for dogs with dementia. It does seem to work for some dogs.

Have his eyes checked. This is what Emmy was doing when she went blind.

She lost her night vision before she went totally blind.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Our darling Tess behaved in exactly the same way.....but we had her cataracts removed and she was put on medication for 'doggie alzheimer' but had 18 wonderful months with us before she was taken from us by a stroke.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Thanks for the good responses everyone. We had already considered CCD, but just wanted to see if there were other thoughts on a different diagnosis.

Sounds like a trip to the vet is in order. Poor guy!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly