Bella Won't Pee

Guest AGirlNamedMe

Guest AGirlNamedMe

We've had Bella for just about two weeks. She'll be five in March and is a former racer (not sure that matters). She's the sweetest doggy ever (it matters!), but we have a new situation with her - or maybe we don't.

Her first few days here, she would pee and/or poo every time we took her out. Gooood girl! Good girl!

Our usual schedule (which is mostly in keeping with the schedule at the rescue facility where she lived for six months before we brought her home) is as follows:

Wake: 6:30

Eat: 7:15

Out: 7:45

Thing is...when she goes out for this early morning trip there's no pee or poo.

Then, I start my work day (work from home at a very busy job) and, of course, she needs to go out later in the morning (around 9:30). Always pees, sometimes poops.

Then, out of the goodness of my heart :lol I take her out at around 2:00. No pee or poo. I worry about taking her out again in the later afternoon or evening, because we definitely want her going before bed - so her next out is at around 9:00.

So. The beautiful princess Bella is only going pee twice / day and usually poops only once.

When she does pee, it doesn't seem like anything is wrong and there is definitely a lot of urine. Same with poo (some loose stools, but that's rare).

Finally...my question: Is going potty only twice / day ok? (Not that I could make her go if I wanted to.) Or is something to be concerned about? And if it's something to be concerned about - what the heck do we do? :lol

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions....please remember I'm a new greyhound mommy. If I'm reacting to nothing, I don't mind hearing that!

xo

Since you do work from home maybe you just need to change her schedule around, only peeing twice a day IMO does not seem like enough. If she does not pee at 2:00 and she does not get out again until 9:00 that to me seems like a long time without going. At the kennels and farms I believe they are let out at least 4 times a day so maybe you could try and put her back on that schedule. Some dogs can hold it for many hours but if she pee's at 9:30am and not at 2:00pm and then does not get out again until 9:00pm that is almost 12 hours of holding it which I don't think is good for any dog.

Guest greytmiles

I've only had Miles for 11 days, and he does the exact same thing. He's never (*knock wood*) messed in the house or his crate. His schedule is below, and his peeing and pooping work on a kind of rotating schedule depending on when he went last. Long story short, he pees twice a day, and poops once (sometimes twice).

He eats PLENTY and drinks PLENTY, and every time I take him out we walk for about 10 min. before he'll pee or poop... so it's not as though he's running right to the grass in a panic.

If there's something wrong with this (or him!), this n00b would certainly love to know! :P

6:30am eat

7:00am walkies / bathroom

4:30pm walkies / bathroom

7:00pm eat

7:30pm walkies / bathroom

Erin

You didn't say exactly, but it sounds like you don't have a fenced area, and the dogs are out on leash?

If that is so, then this is not abnormal. Many greyhounds do not like to pee/poo on leash. They just aren't used to it, and I think many of them are quite shy about doing their 'duty' with observers. :rolleyes: I have 3 acres fenced, and the majority of hounds go to far corners to do their thing.

I would find a fenced area, and let them go. They'll do their thing. Lots of praise. Not pooping more than once a day is not abnormal either. Though a dog that drinks needs to pee.

Also try longer leashes, and try being farther awway from the them.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest krystolla

I've had Hack for a few months now. In the beginning he'd only poop in the evening, and usually would only pee if he'd gotten some exercise (walking around in circles on lead). Now he's much more relaxed about it, though he still appreciates a good walk over being let out in the backyard.

So I'd suggest upping her exercise until she settles in -- help get everything moving. :rolleyes:

Guest AGirlNamedMe

Bella is on a leash and (unfortunately) that's not going to change. We don't have a fenced in yard.

There's a doggy park about 10 minutes away, but seriously? I love Bella (bunches!), but I cannot imagine getting her into her coat, loading her into the car, driving to the park, making puddles, and then coming home - and then doing it all over again a few hours later. It would turn potty into an all day adventure - especially given her propensity for statuing! :eek

So. Maybe a longer leash? Hers is 6 feet and I've heard that longer leashes aren't recommended for greyhounds because if they run at full speed and reach the end, it could be bad things for their necks? (Though I've heard that greys can reach full speed in just a few steps - so 6 feet or 10 feet probably is not much of a difference?)

Talking about dog pee. #94 on the list of things I never thought I'd do! :unsure

Thank you again, everyone. I've gotten the best suggestions and help here in these early days with Ms. Bella. I hope I don't seem like I'm complaining too much about her - I'm not. We got the best doggy in the world. I just want to make sure we're doing everything we can / should do to make her as comfortable in her new home as we can.

xo

Ok. picture is clearer.

No fenced yard. New dog. Statue.

Some hounds take longer than others to adjust. Those in a home without another dog, and without a yard, do often take longer. Remember your greyhound has spent her life around other dogs, and off leash to pee and poo.

Letting a greyhound off leash is a good thing - even if just a few times a week. Make a trip to the dog park part of the fun you two have together. She'll love the chance to let loose. The 'statue' stuff you mention is pretty common also in a dog that is unsure about her new life, and what is expected of her. Getting her around other dogs, having fun and playing will help. Reading the Greyhound Guide :colgate will help you.

Are there greyhound lovers in your area who you could meet at the park? They will help you understand some of the behaviors, and give play time for Bella with other greyhounds. You'll see a totally different dog when she sees another greyhound.

re leash - a flexible leash could help give her more distance. Used correctly you shouldn't have a problem with hurting her neck. you can also put 2 6 foot leashes together just by slipping another thru the loop.

you'll get there. it's all new for you and her, and the more she bonds, and gets to know you and the routine - all will be well.

claudia

greyhound Gang

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest AGirlNamedMe

Thank you, Claudia. I appreciate the encouragement.

Bella + AGirlNamedMe = Newbies!

One of the neighbor ladies came out the other day and said, "My husband said he saw you out here standing with your dog in the parking lot."

Almost as if it's a commentary on our puppy parenting. :P

(I'm sure she didn't mean it like that...and it must look so funny to people who see us out there.)

Standing and not moving is B)

Many adoption groups do not condone the use of "flexi-leads" for greyhounds as that seems to be how many greyhounds have gotten away from their owners. The owner drops the plastic holder and it startles the dog and it takes off. As to taking new dogs to a doggie-park, I might suggest that you wait a bit and get to know the dogs better before letting them loose with other dogs.

If these are new dogs, chances are they are not used to the routine yet and may be "holding it". I've had a few fosters that have done that but, also the reverse, some had to go out every hour or so at the beginning.

With new fosters I usually tie two leather leashes together which gives them a bit more room to move away if they are shy -- I do this even though I have a fenced in yard because I just never now how a new foster will react. As general rule, I take new fosters out when they get up from sleeping, after they eat, after they play and at least every four hours for the first few weeks until they settle in and I know their routines.

Good luck ..

I've taken to "priming" the doggie pump when taking our Monty (who doesn't like to pee in the morning) out. I'll get a nice bowl of fresh water and bring it to his royal highness and usually he'll drink a little and I think that might help. Not that it helps all the time...he's also really reluctant to pee. Can't find the perfect spot to drain the bladder - no neighborhood tree/post/snowbank is quite good enough.

When we first got him we would need to walk him (and yeah, he statued too) for over an hour and studiously pretend to NOT be on the other end of the leash when he did anything. Just standing there, pretending not to be there, with periodic glances from the corner of our eyes to see if he was actually doing anything, or what he actually was doing. He was really fond of pooping on bushes, too. That is fun, especially when the branches swing back up and fling stuff around. As embarrassing as it is now that I catch (he poops on the sidewalk), it was really embarrassing to have to dodge flying poo.

It gets easier. I hope it happens soon for you!

Guest AGirlNamedMe

Update on this....

Bella: she doesn't like her coat on if she has to potty. (Who knew!)

Yesterday we'd been out front with coat on walking and standing and standing and walking, but no pee or poo. So we came in. Annnnd she did the pee dance.

I was 10 kinds of frustrated, attached the leash, took her out back (it's a tiny unfenced area - we live in a condo), and she immediately made puddles and wanted back in.

Later, attached the leash, took her out back, made puddles and immediately wanted back inside.

This morning, same thing.

Hef (my SO) and I are practically giddy about having figured out this mystery!

So....Bella has been potty this morning. A little later, I will take her out for a longer walk (or a stand - depending on her mood) in her coat and if she doesn't pee - so what, big deal, who cares - she'll pee dance if she wants to go out to the backyard and since she won't have her coat on, she'll be in a big fat hurry to get inside afterwards.

Good girl. Gooood girrrrrrl!

Guest LindsaySF

Glad you figured out the mystery! If you're just running in/out for a quick potty break, you can probably skip the coat. Though the more she wears it the more she'll get used to it.

Some hounds don't mind the coat being on but you need to flip the back up so their butt is naked, that makes them feel 'free' to do their business. smile.gif

I was also going to say, there is no magic number to how many times a dog has to pee/poop a day. Honey only drinks water twice a day, and only pees 2-3 times a day. She always goes outside with the other dogs, but she rarely pees. She has herself on a strict schedule for some reason. lol.gif As long as your dog is given ample opportunities to go out, and she isn't having any accidents in the house, I wouldn't worry. smile.gif

~Lindsay~

Edited by LindsaySF