Problems With Going

Guest GradStudent

Guest GradStudent

So, Penny's being stubborn. At most, usually, will only pee in the backyard. We're trying to get her to see the backyard as the place to do her business and walks in the park as a reward, but she'll whine at the backdoor to be taken out, then will just run around, head towards the gate, then become stubborn when she's told no (She'll stand there and stare at me, even if I try to get her to continue moving).

Any suggestions on getting to go where she should?

Sorry, none here, though I'm sure others will ... Beth also only pees in the backyard -- it's very small, and we don't even use it all that much (she also only pees in others' larger backyards). She generally needs to walk briskly for a couple of blocks on leash before she's ready to do #2 -- or trot around for a while at the dog park. I have not myself felt the need to mess with her preferences; as long as we have a routine that works for both of us, I'm happy, and I'd be taking her out on leash or to a park morning and evening anyway.

You might try leash-walking her around the yard -- she may just physically need to move more to have the urge to go. Of course once you're doing that, a walk around the block is more fun for both of you. :)

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Well, exercise is more of a necessity than a reward in my opinion. If what you're saying is you don't want to have to walk her because you have a yard and she should be tinkling out there, I might suggest that at first you should actually go with her, and give her praise and a treat for doing her thing. For example, you should say, "Let's go tinkle!" in a bright and happy voice, and when she (eventually) does, say "Good tinkle!" and give her a treat. Make it in her best interest to go in the yard. You may even need to put her a leash and literally walk around the yard with her.

Many dogs, however, need to get moving to get things moving! Dogs need daily exercise, and for many people, a nice walk is both enjoyable and beneficial to both human and hound.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I agree, maybe she needs a bit more time in the yard. I would just ignore her when she goes to the gate and continue walking around the yard. Just a thought, if you have anyone with a dog you might try letting another dog pee in your yard, maybe the scent of another dog will get her attention. But positive reinforcment always seems to work better then just saying no to her and a small treat when she does go is always a plus.

Guest GradStudent

It's not that I don't want to walk, I just would prefer that she did her business in the yard before walks. I had read before that some greyhounds would figure out that they can extend walks by waiting for as long as possible to go, and when I have classes in the morning, a long walk is generally not an option. Ideally I would like her to go in the backyard, then we can get some exercise in.

Guest GradStudent

Just to clarify: in the evenings we will go on nice walks, good amount of exercise (as I need the exercise too!). It's just in the morning I don't have the time for a long walk to let her do her business in the park, and just want her to reliably go in the backyard rather than holding it for a walk, which is what I feel she is trying.

Can't you do a short walk in the neighborhood, if that's what it takes? Many of us get up early to do that, and most of us walk at least twice a day. You seem to think she's trying to psych you out and, you know, she just may need to walk. Give her the benefit of the doubt -- she's probably not being "stubborn" or trying to play you (in my experience that's more typical behavior from my undergraduate students than from my dog!), she just doesn't want to go in the yard. I quickly realized that leash-walking is much less frustrating than hanging around the yard checking your watch thinking "Oh for heaven's sake go, go, go....." Beth almost always goes in the first five minutes of her morning walk.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad