Teeth Cleaning

Guest the36thchamber

Guest the36thchamber

What does everyone pay to get their greys teeth cleaned? I was quoted $500-$700 by the vet. I was given a business card at my greyhound groups annual picnic last year for a non anesthetic dentist so I decided to give her a try. She charged $80 a dog and seemed to do a really good job. My Wife is in the dental field so she paid close attention and was pleased with what she saw. The website is http://houndstoothpetdental.com I would appreciate any insight anyone has as far as this goes. Did I do the right thing here? If money was no object, I'd happily have the vet do it and dish out the cash but $80 is much more doable for us at the moment considering how badly we've been hit by the recession.

Guest KennelMom

I wouldn't do the non-anesthetic dental. There have been a few threads that discuss them in H&M, pros and cons.

Dentals here are usually about $200 + extractions if necessary. Blood work would an extra $30 or $100 depending on the panel that you had done.

Guest Energy11

I wouldn't do the non-anesthetic dental. There have been a few threads that discuss them in H&M, pros and cons.

Dentals here are usually about $200 + extractions if necessary. Blood work would an extra $30 or $100 depending on the panel that you had done.

That is about what it costs here, plus extractions and bloodwork.

Guest mcsheltie

We pay $132. That includes blood work, IV fluids started before induction and floride treatment. $8 extra for each extraction.

I wouldn't do a non-anesthetic dental either. Unless that was the only option left due to anesthetic reactions. They can't get under the gum line, which is where the problems are to begin with. If it is done without ultrasonics it is hard on the enamel.

$600ish, no extractions, but a slightly more complicated anesthesia/post-anesthesia protocal than normal due to previous issues. That includes bloodwork (which for us includes a thyroid panel, so it would ordinarily be a bit cheaper.)

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest the36thchamber

One thing I really don't quite understand is why does anesthesia have to be used and why do they have to do blood work? I know I'm not a dog but I've gone to one of the top dentist in Southern California for over ten years and get my teeth cleaned every six months and not once have then done blood work or used anesthesia on me.

Guest KennelMom

Bloodwork is usually optional. If I've had it done on a dog recently (within about a year on a younger dog) and there have been no other issues, we probably wouldn't do the bloodwork. It's really just as much a general health check as it is anything else...gives the doctor a good idea of how well their organs, which will have to filter and process the anesthesia, are working.

Anesthesia is used b/c they need to get under the gumline to clean properly. Humans can be locally anesthetized and told to "open up and hold still" - we know what that means and what the doctor is doing. Dogs don't.

Koda just had one about a month ago. I just about DIED when I got the bill. I usually pay around $500-600. This time? $850!! :eek She lost all of her lower incisors, some molars, and those hook teeth in front of the k9's. So ya, it was pretty major. And had to be done. She is almost 9 now so it costs more for geriatrics. Plus, her pre-blood work showed that her kidneys are not functioning as well as they used to so we opted to keep her on IV fluids for the day. She recovered quite well and is now back to her happy bouncy self and eating with enthusiasm. She had exposed nerves and such so she could barely eat by the end. There is no way any of that could have been done without anesthetic. I will be brushing religiously now in hopes of her keeping her remaining teeth.... :goodluck Not to mention a break on the ol' wallet!!!