Today Is The Day

Guest Adrianne

Guest Adrianne

Has your vet explained what he expects to happen in the next two weeks that hasn't happened in the last two months? Is he expecting a miracle? Does he think two non-connected portions of bone are going to somehow bridge the gap?

Yes, he sees what might be bridging in that gap, and I have to admit that I did see very faint white across the gap. I think he hopes to see more of that in the next two weeks.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be all over Dr. Couto like a cheap suit. I agree, a fresh set of eyes to review past and current xrays. Couto is the gold standard. Don't give up yet, you pointed out that Wilbur is in no more pain today than he was weeks ago. I don't want to give you false hope, but I sure wouldn't give up to amputation yet.

I'd be all over Dr. Couto like a cheap suit. I agree, a fresh set of eyes to review past and current xrays. Couto is the gold standard. Don't give up yet, you pointed out that Wilbur is in no more pain today than he was weeks ago. I don't want to give you false hope, but I sure wouldn't give up to amputation yet. My friend's greyhound had a break and the poor thing had it set and had a cast twice the size of the leg, then his owner turned him over to a rescue group, they took him in to their vet, they had to completely start from scratch and it was a possibility he could lose his leg. They had to reset the leg use plates and pins that had to be in for a year. They took the hardware out last summer and he has full use of his leg, goes on long hikes and doesn't have so much as a limp.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Flysmom

I am sorry! I hope you and your husband can find a way to work this out, may be after the 2 weeks or a 2nd opinion it will be easier to make a decision for Wilbur. Sending you a hug and Wilbur scritches!

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Love and hugs to you all!!!

Time is of the essence here. Were chest X rays taken? If not, why? IMO two weeks could mean the difference between cancer spreading or not.

I agree, 2nd set of eyes- it's not a slam on your vet. I LOVE my vet and I would do the same.

Guest grey_dreams

Adrianne, please please please send all the X-rays to Dr. Couto immediately. This is not a bad thing for your vet. You own the X-rays and the vet has to give them to you, so you can send to Ohio State for a fresh set of eyes to asses Wilbur's condition. Please don't make Wilbur wait another 2 weeks. This is also not a bad thing for your husband, because all you are doing is getting some experts to view the X-rays. That's it. Once you have an answer from them, that's the time that you will have more discussions about what to do. Please please don't wait. I'm so sorry that you are going through this. You have the support of everyone in this community and we are all holding a good vision for Wilbur. Please do this for Wilbur. I'm sending you the biggest hugs :grouphug

The rod was not removed, and Wilbur goes back in two weeks for more xrays.

So, where do we go from here? Well, unfortunately, my husband and I are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to that question. I wish it weren't like that, but it is. As it was pointed out to me today, Wilbur is already a tripod. He doesn't use that leg at all. He's already learned how to get up and down and around with just one back leg. If anything, I think that would work in his favor in recovering from amputation. My husband is against the idea. I know it's a very personal decision, but what do you do when the house is divided. We had a very heated discussion about it this evening, and one of us will probably be sleeping on the couch tonight. As I said, I love my husband, and I'm not going to talk badly about him, but I am very frustrated with him tonight. I can't go ahead with an amputation by myself, which is what my choice would be. It has to be a team decision and effort here.

I do know Wilbur has a lot more living in him. When I got his leash out this morning, he got right up. When we took him out to the truck, he got both front legs in the truch without us lifting him. He then waited for us to lift his back end. I was so proud of him.

We kinda went thru this with Jac-Fooy. DH REFUSED to let the vet take her leg. Thinking that there was no way that she would have a life as a tri-pod. After much fighting, ranting, crying, and lots of information, he came to his senses!! That is HIS BABY!! I hope you can get him behind you...it would be a heck of a thing to have to do it alone. I just can't imagine! grouphug.gif

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

your poor boy! :( :( :( :(

continuing to send many, many prayers for Wilbur!!! :hope:candle:hope:candle

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm so sorry you all are going through this. Perhaps a 2nd opinion will, if nothing else, let you hear info from another Dr. that may be the catalyst for one of you to move on your position. Working through this together will be a tremendous help to you all. Hugs to you.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

I am so sorry you're dealing with this. :cry1 The pain and frustration in your posts is tangible. I really hope you and your husband can come to a united decision. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

You're in my thoughts.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Energy11

I'd be all over Dr. Couto like a cheap suit. I agree, a fresh set of eyes to review past and current xrays. Couto is the gold standard. Don't give up yet, you pointed out that Wilbur is in no more pain today than he was weeks ago. I don't want to give you false hope, but I sure wouldn't give up to amputation yet.

I'd be all over Dr. Couto like a cheap suit. I agree, a fresh set of eyes to review past and current xrays. Couto is the gold standard. Don't give up yet, you pointed out that Wilbur is in no more pain today than he was weeks ago. I don't want to give you false hope, but I sure wouldn't give up to amputation yet. My friend's greyhound had a break and the poor thing had it set and had a cast twice the size of the leg, then his owner turned him over to a rescue group, they took him in to their vet, they had to completely start from scratch and it was a possibility he could lose his leg. They had to reset the leg use plates and pins that had to be in for a year. They took the hardware out last summer and he has full use of his leg, goes on long hikes and doesn't have so much as a limp.

Yes! Definitely get those x-rays to Dr. Couto, and I'd go from there. Sending love and prayers to all of you!

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I've been there. DH and I had opposite views about amputation/chemo for Demon. I came around and we amputated. What did it for me was seeing how quickly his pain was escalating. He was not one who would get months from pain management. It would be either euthanize very soon or try amputation. Part of the difficulty I had came from our experience with Alex. He developed lung mets shortly after amputation and didn't get any quality time from our attempt to treat. On the other hand, Morgan got 3 years from his amputation/chemo and didn't have a recurrence. I think the Alex scenario stayed with me more because he was my heart dog and so is Demon.

The fact is is already "tripod'ing" will make the adjustment easier.

Guest budsmom

I strongly encourage you to get a second opinion right away, too. It has nothing to do with not liking or trusting your vet, sometimes it just takes more than one set of eyes and ideas to find a solution. If Wilbur were my baby, I'd be getting a second opinion, and I love and trust my vet more than I do my own physician! Prayers and healing thoughts coming to Wilbur from the frozen tundra of WI.

no advice...just :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I am a vet and I say get a second opinion. I would be saying this if I was your vet too. It's imperative to get the second opinion. And do it sooner than later. This does not sound good.

Yes, he sees what might be bridging in that gap, and I have to admit that I did see very faint white across the gap. I think he hopes to see more of that in the next two weeks.

Hope is not enough. Please get a second opinion. Wilbur needs you to do this for him.

Edited by sweetdogs

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Adrianne

I am taking Wilbur to see another vet and forwarding xrays to Dr. Cuoto.

The difference of opinion in the house about how to move forward has not been resolved. One of us is going to have to give, but maybe that will be easier when we aren't hanging in limbo.

Wilbur had another good day. His appetite is great, he's in no pain that I can see, and he's comfortable and content. I've been giving him extra leg massages for the edema in his leg, and he really seems to enjoy that. He's on another round of antibiotics just in case the edema is due to some nasty infection lurking in his leg. He's still getting a 75mg Deramaxx in the evening with dinner. In the early weeks of all this, I could tell when it was time for his Deramaxx just by him getting uncomfortable and seeming to be in pain. I can't tell that anymore; he just seems relaxed and pain free all the time.

Thank you everyone for the good thoughts. He's my baby boy, and I love him, and I want to do what's best for him.

Guest Energy11

Glad Wilbur is comfortable, and you are not only seeing another vet, but forwarding the x-rays to Dr. Couto. As you said, you are in "limbo" right now, and that isn't helping things between you and our other half, either.

Sending love, hugs, good luck and many prayers for you and your Wilbur!