Corns

Guest GriffinsMom

Guest GriffinsMom

I have posted about Miles pain and my inability to manage it. Several very knowledgeable members of GT advised me that it sounded like corns. However, there was no physical proof. Now there is! I have been checking Miles paw pads daily. A few days ago I noticed a tiny pin prick sized blemish on one of his back feet. Now Miles has one 2mm corn on each of his back feet and it appears that there may be more that will erupt to the surface of his pads shortly. He still has problems with his hips but at least this can be treated.

I have been researching corns and how to treat them. Does anyone have the article in CG Magazine 2003 fall issue: Corns and Warts: Definitions, Causes, and Treatments, that they could scan and e-mail to me?

I doubt that my regular vet has any experience in hulling corns but I do know an extremely Greyhound savvy vet that does have experience only he is quite far away, really expensive, and generally overbooked, but you do what you have to do to help your hound.

If anyone had any information on corns to share it would be appreciated.

I have taken Miles off the pain pills he was on as they were ineffective anyway and he is now wearing TheraPaw booties on his back feet which are helping enormously.

Thank you,

Sharon

Guest mcsheltie

Pat - MyBoys shared this with me.

A lady that runs a kennel told me about using human corn/callus remover and believe it or not duct tape. About every 3rd day I would put a drop of the corn/callus remover on it, wait for it to dry and put a tiny piece of duct tape over the corn. I would change the duct tape everyday. The corn/callus remover would soften the corn and the duct tape would help to pull the corn to the surface. After about a month or so the corn was actually sticking out far enough that I could get my thumb nail under it, I twisted it gently and the whole corn came out. You just have to make sure that the duct tape is always on the corn, I know if it was wet outside I would change it more often. I actually took a picture of the corn after I got it out in case nobody believed me (LOL). I would put a piece of moleskin right over the duct tape when we went for walks to help cushion it. Like I said, it does take a month or so but if you are patient it really works

I asked what to do with the hole it left and Pat said it closed right up.

Hope this helps!

Good news that it isin't something more serious. Until you decide which road to take, you may want to dremel that corn down and use bag balm everyday. That will at least bring comfort until you decide which path to take

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Adrianne

I am so happy you found out. After reading a couple other corn topics and then your topic on Miles, I checked Wilbur's feet and found what I believe are two corns. So, in seeking help for Miles, you helped Wilbur too. I have found some of the most knowledgable people here. smile.gif

Good and rational vet doesn't need experience. I printed out the Grassmere article and took it to my vet. He read it, did exactly what they said, and was very pleased to find that it worked.

ETA: Here's the article. http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/corn_hulling.htm

My vet had never seen a corn before.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Adrianne

Good and rational vet doesn't need experience. I printed out the Grassmere article and took it to my vet. He read it, did exactly what they said, and was very pleased to find that it worked.

ETA: Here's the article. http://www.grassmere...orn_hulling.htm

My vet had never seen a corn before.

Thank you Batmom. I'm printing this and taking it with me to the vet tomorrow.

I thought it sounded like a corn and am so glad it's not something more serious. I am not fond of corns lol.gif but they are manageable and hopefully you can do most of it yourself. I manage to get Joshy's out with my nail regularly but my vet who hadn't seen them before either, is cool with the grassmere article.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

what does a corn look/feel like? Is it easy to find? Mimi started limping today and biting at her back foot, then later she started holding the foot up. I looked, but couldn't find anything, except a discolored part on one of her toe pads.

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

My lurcher had a small but very painful corn on one front pad which we had removed at the vets but it just came back within a few weeks. He limped badly and sometimes held the paw up to walk. Eventually I got a tube of verrucca jel, put a drop on every day for 6 days then used the emery board provided to rub the raised surface of the corn, as per the instructions. I did this religiously for months till I suddenly noticed he was hardly limping at all and it was hard to see where to put the gel on the tiny bit left. Now it has gone completely and not returned so far....fingers crossed this has finally worked for my boy.

Sue from England

Guest KennelMom

I might still have that old issue of CG...I'll look around. I used to donate them to our old vets office, so I may have given it away. However, the grassmere article is a great one and probably the better one to take to your vet anyway.

Corns are a huge pita but are manageable~! Both my seniors have them. I keep them under control with dremeling them down and using duct tape.

Mimosasmom: Both my guys began favoring their feet about 2 weeks before the corn came to the surface of the paw pad, if that is any help-!

Jen

It looks like Mimi has one too. We're trying Bee Propolis, as suggested by Dione, and covering it with a bandaid. She's figured out how to tripod walk on hard surfaces, and does fine on 4 legs on carpet and grass. She's limiting her walks herself. I just found some "pet boot's that I had squirreled away that someone sent me. I put one of those on her with a paper towel stuffed in it for cushioning. we'll see how that goes.

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039