Homeopathic Remedies: Flower Essences

Guest Zelsdad

Wonder spray or Snake Oil?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever tried a "homeopathic" remedy for your grey?

2. 2. If "Yes," did it work?

I use the Bach Rescue Remedy on all mine when we travel, and for some of Cash's spook attacks. It doesn't work miracles but it does take the edge off and keeps Cash's anxiety from spiralling even higher if I can get a dose into her at the beginning of a "spell." It does not significantly reduce her fear response once it has begun.

I think of herbal and homeopathic remedies more for support of regular drugs, rather than in place of them.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Bang_o_rama

There is a problem with the poll; You HAVE to vote on both questions, even if you vote "No" on the first part, or you get error message.

I have found homeopathy to be just as effective as is prayer.

~D~

The famous flower essence potion just happens to be in a base of BRANDY. I find it hard to believe the flowers do anything at all--although the amount you give it's hard to believe the alchohol base does much either.

Did NOTHING for George at all.

The term "homeopathic" is wildly misused. People seem to be using it as a synonym for "natural," but that's not really what it means.

I also tried an herbal remedy for anxiety that my VET suggested, based on a recommendation of a friend of hers--he suggested we try Valerian Root for George's anxiety, and it make his liver enzyme values spike badly.

She won't be recommending THAT herb again!

I am very hesitant to use any "natural" product at this point. Just because natural made it doesn't mean it's either effective OR safe.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I think of herbal and homeopathic remedies more for support of regular drugs, rather than in place of them.

Completely agree with this statement.

We do actually use Rescue Remedy in our house and other mixed flower essences for both hound and human......with varying success.....same as with antibiotics /or painkillers for example one type might work for one person or animal but for another not very well.

I try to keep an open mind about things really......

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

I've used Rescue Remedy, it did nothing with any of my dogs - ever. However, I do use other homeopathic supplements with lots of success. Melatonin, Rescue 911 (for anxiety), Drenatrophin (adrenal support) and Dasuquin (for arthritis) and arnica pellets (for inflammation) work really well.

Edited to add that my vet practices allopathic as well as homeopathic medicine. I agree that the homeopathic is a support to the allopathic treatments.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I have to second what GeorgeofNE said. I have tried flower essences with no effect on both greys. I have also tried homeopathic remedy for anciety and seen a good response with the one grey i tried it with. Saying that I tried homeopathy on ymself after seeing good results with the pup and it hasn't helped at all, but i am still trying as homepathic remedies take a lot fo tweeking in most instances before finding something that works.

Guest mcsheltie

I've never had huge success with Rescue Remedy. But sometimes it helps a bit. I have had great success with using the individual remedies. That requires some work as each essence works for different emotions and mind sets. With an animal it is really an art, cause it is hard to tell the exact emotion. For instance you would use a different remedy for excessive scratching and for one who is grooming excessively. They look pretty much the same. There are many different remedies for different types of fear.

I had a cat who could not tolerate other cats. She would attack them (brutally) and after a while the other cats started coming after her. She turned into a pariah cat, who was afraid to come down off the frig. Every time she did a rolling cat fight would start. Her brother was also in my program. I kept her with him, he was so afraid of her he wouldn't breed her even when she was in season. They just left each other alone. I was really into homeopathy at the time, so decided to try the flower essences. I made my own combination for her. The first couple tries didn't do much. The third was spot on. I misted her with it frequently. I put it in her water. I put some on her gums several times a day. I administered it every way possible. And within two weeks she was living out freely and peacefully in the house. I would slack off and she'd start to get hostile again. I found the correct amount to keep her on. I got the litter I wanted and found her a home as an only cat.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but homeopathy when practiced correctly works wonders. But it is difficult, as you are not treating symptoms as you are with western/modern medicine. Instead of treating the symptoms of disease you are treating the root cause of imbalance in the body. It is hard to change your mind set! I was lucky to stumble onto a master. And the classes I took only scratched the surface. I am too impatient to keep up with it, the results are not always instantaneous. I slowly went back to western medicine. If anyone is interested I can tell them about my experiences with it.

Anyway... back to flower essences. I would only use Bach essences. Those are the original and all the others are knockoffs. Also don't bother with the combo remedies. Each essence has to be picked for that particular animal. It takes repeated dosage (my cat took two weeks) before results are seen. Somewhere in my vast files I have a key to using the essences for animals. It makes it a lot easier because it puts an animal spin on the emotions.

Guest Bang_o_rama

I've used Rescue Remedy, it did nothing with any of my dogs - ever. However, I do use other homeopathic supplements with lots of success. Melatonin, Rescue 911 (for anxiety), Drenatrophin (adrenal support) and Dasuquin (for arthritis) and arnica pellets (for inflammation) work really well.

Edited to add that my vet practices allopathic as well as homeopathic medicine. I agree that the homeopathic is a support to the allopathic treatments.

Melatonin isn't "homeopathic;" it's an actual chemical substance that has been demonstrated to actually to something when given at effective concentrations. Homeopathic remedies are either effective or ineffective substances given at zero or near-zero concentration and rely on the placebo effect to bolster what is essentially a magical mode of operation.

As has been stated above, "homeopathic" is not the same as "natural" and "natural" does not necessarily equal"safe" and/or "effective."

~D~

Edited by Bang_o_rama

Guest mcsheltie

In the last paragraph of my post (#11) I meant make your own combination. Don't buy the pre-made combo essences.

Edited by mcsheltie

I have user Rescue Remedy for years, with success. I have Manero, who used to get VERY nervous at shows. It did not help that his owner/handler (me) was new at showing. So, he and I both got Rescue Remedy at every show, and it really helped.

What I find with RR is that it seems to have a very subtle, yet obvious, action. It does not "calm" in the sense that you feel like you are on drugs, rather, it makes you feel more *normal*. I have used it many times before interviews, too, and it really does work.

Regarding other natural remedies, many do work, but most are not "homeopathic."

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest mcsheltie

Yup, if you hit the right combination it REALLY works. I've tried RR on me at shows too. I did better with more alcohol :lol (the essences and remedies are made in an alcohol base)

We have used Bach's Rescue Remedy with Peanut to help her anxiety while driving in the car on a long trip. We add a few drops under her tongue and I do this it helps calm her. She pants less and seems to settle. They now have a pet version of this too.

For anyone who is interested in the Bach remedies for animals, there is a book out that goes into detail about the different remedies and what they should be used for.

Most health food stores carry the book.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I think homeopathic remedies are all about what you think they are going to do - that's how they keep getting sold. It's the placebo effect and the 'natural' sell rolled into one. Most of these 'remedies' have had no (or insufficient) scientific testing to be proven valid and effective.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest mcsheltie

My apologies for hijacking the thread!

Placebos may work on humans, but they do not work on a dog or cat. Whether you are talking about flower essences or homeopathic remedies, animals have no expectation of a either type of remedy working. That is one of the reasons animals are used in clinical trials. Classic homeopathy is well researched and has its roots in ancient Chinese medicine. As does flower essence therapy. The same roots as modern medicine stems from. It is a different way of looking at the body and what causes disease.

Placebo effect did not bring about my jaw dropping experiences with with Homeopathy or Marv's response to the flower essence combo I made for her. We had a cat with violent (anaphylaxis) allergic reactions. The only treatment the vets came up with was Prednisone and antihistamines. Those only masked the symptoms, they did nothing to correct the underlying problem that resulted in the allergy. One remedy alone cured her allergy. Touie had reoccurring sinus infections. It had become critical, the infection has gone into the bone and antibiotics were not working. MSU had no more ideas. I called our homeopathic vet. She put quite a bit or work into it, but she was able to cure the infection. I have used remedies during difficult whelpings. The correct remedy can cure uterine inertia or bring in milk. A lot easier on the bitch than an injection of Oxytocin. Arnica is a well know homeopathic remedy that helps sprains and bruising. When given before and after surgery it speeds healing as it reduces swelling and bleeding.

Here is a little reading about remedies and surgery - link

Most of what people think is homeopathy is not. Below is a quickie summary of what Homeopathy is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Homeopathy: A system of therapy based on the concept that disease can be treated with substances that are capable of producing the same symptoms in healthy people as the disease itself.

Homeopathy was championed by the German physician Samuel Hahnemann (1755-1843) in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. It was both refined and popularized by the American physician James Tyler Kent. Homeopathy is based on the theory that each naturally occurring element, plant, and mineral compound will, when ingested or applied, result in certain symptoms. Hahnemann believed that, by diluting these substances in a standardized manner, one could reach the true essence of that substance. Hahnemann described this process of dilution as "potentizing" (German: "potenziert") the substance. These dilute amounts could then be used to treat the very symptoms they were known to produce.

Hahnemann and his students approached their treatments in a holistic way, meaning that the whole of the body and spirit is dealt with, not just the localised disease. Hahnemann himself spent extended periods of time with his patients, asking them questions that dealt not only with their particular symptoms or illness, but also with the details of their daily lives.

According to homeopathy, symptoms are the body's way of fighting disease. Homeopathy teaches that symptoms are to be encouraged, by prescribing a "remedy" in minuscule doses that in large doses would produce the same symptoms seen in the patient. These remedies are meant to stimulate the immune system, helping to cure the illness.

Guest longdogs

I have lavender oil available. I put just a drop on their beds and they sleep through the night.

It really does work.

Lavender is not homeopathic. It actually contains lavender oil - if you are lucky.

Completely agree with this statement.

We do actually use Rescue Remedy in our house and other mixed flower essences for both hound and human......with varying success.....same as with antibiotics /or painkillers for example one type might work for one person or animal but for another not very well.

I try to keep an open mind about things really......

I think homeopathic remedies are all about what you think they are going to do - that's how they keep getting sold. It's the placebo effect and the 'natural' sell rolled into one. Most of these 'remedies' have had no (or insufficient) scientific testing to be proven valid and effective.

Homeopathic remedies have no active ingredients, are based on a bizarre theory (how do you feel about making pills out of pus from syphilitic lesions?) and have never been demonstrated to work beyond the placebo effect. That makes them useful for some people but useless for animals with no concept that a drug is 'supposed' to help them. Their one asset is they are safe - or as safe as the sugar, water or alcohol mix they are made of.

Guest longdogs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Homeopathy: A system of therapy based on the concept that disease can be treated with substances that are capable of producing the same symptoms in healthy people as the disease itself.

Homeopathy was championed by the German physician Samuel Hahnemann (1755-1843) in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. It was both refined and popularized by the American physician James Tyler Kent. Homeopathy is based on the theory that each naturally occurring element, plant, and mineral compound will, when ingested or applied, result in certain symptoms. Hahnemann believed that, by diluting these substances in a standardized manner, one could reach the true essence of that substance. Hahnemann described this process of dilution as "potentizing" (German: "potenziert") the substance. These dilute amounts could then be used to treat the very symptoms they were known to produce.

Hahnemann and his students approached their treatments in a holistic way, meaning that the whole of the body and spirit is dealt with, not just the localised disease. Hahnemann himself spent extended periods of time with his patients, asking them questions that dealt not only with their particular symptoms or illness, but also with the details of their daily lives.

According to homeopathy, symptoms are the body's way of fighting disease. Homeopathy teaches that symptoms are to be encouraged, by prescribing a "remedy" in minuscule doses that in large doses would produce the same symptoms seen in the patient. These remedies are meant to stimulate the immune system, helping to cure the illness.

It's all in the "According to homeopathy..." There is absolutely no evidence that homeopathic remedies stimulate the immune system, and this 'explanation' of a mode of action is a recent attempt by homeopaths to sound plausible. Homeopathy had no concept of immune response when it was formulated, has no Chinese roots (for better or worse) and has more in common with the old 'doctrine of signs'.

Guest Zelsdad

There is a problem with the poll; You HAVE to vote on both questions, even if you vote "No" on the first part, or you get error message.

I have found homeopathy to be just as effective as is prayer.

~D~

Thanks for the feedback - didn't know there would be an issue with the two-part question.

Guest mcsheltie

Homeopathic remedies have no active ingredients, are based on a bizarre theory (how do you feel about making pills out of pus from syphilitic lesions?) and have never been demonstrated to work beyond the placebo effect. That makes them useful for some people but useless for animals with no concept that a drug is 'supposed' to help them. Their one asset is they are safe - or as safe as the sugar, water or alcohol mix they are made of.

At one point I agreed with all that you said. One of my vets (college buddy) was slowly evolving her practice from conventional to holistic medicine. In the process she gave me a lot of reading material. The premise of Homeopathy was intriguing and made sense to me. Basically- Nothing on earth is perfect. Each body is born with some kind of imbalance. When you treat only the symptoms, you are not curing the imbalance. It will continue to manifest it's self a little stronger and from deeper in the body each time.

As I said in my previous post, the fact that Homeopathy and Flower Essence Therapy does work with animals negates the placebo only argument. I gave a quick summary of the :yikes times it has worked for us in my previous post. But it has worked on everyday stuff too.

It is not easy to practice. People try it, aren't able to pick the correct remedy and decide it doesn't work. I have worked with three Homeopathic vets. One was a master at her craft. The other two were snake doctors. There are 36 remedies (that I know of) for bleeding alone. Not only do you have to pick the correct remedy, but you also have use the right potency. A lower potency (like 6x) is used for something external, like an injury that just occurred or an infection from a cut. The further into the body you go, say when I was working on Tiki's allergic reaction, the higher the potency you use (20c 200c etc...). In classic Homeopathy you use one remedy at a time. As the disease changes you keep matching remedies. The vet used quite a few when she was working on the antibiotic resistance infection. She started out with a low potency for the outward symptoms (pus, fever etc...) then then as they resolved or changed (as you got deeper into the body) she started using higher and higher potencies. It was fascinating. I was able, only thru dumb luck, to pick the remedy that cured Tiki's allergic reactions. When I ran what I planned to use by my vet she didn't agree. But she also didn't know Tiki like I did. Personality and mental state figures into picking remedies. One day her mucous membranes were starting to swell again, her eyes were almost swollen shut. I had a little time before I HAD to give the antihistamine shot, so I decided to try my remedy. She yawned, curled up and went to sleep. I was hovering, shot in hand, but a few minutes later the swelling started to go down. A week later she had another less severe reaction. I treated her again (successfully) and then I started daily treatment with a higher potency (hoping it would also do it's work on the immune system) She never had another reaction. :dunno I was a believer after that.

I can go on how it helped whelping and the everyday stuff, but I've written a book already :blush

I had a laugh over asking how people feel about what remedies are made from. Penicillin is made from fungus. One type of ACE inhibitor drugs that control blood pressure is made from snake venom. (These drugs cause the fewest side affect of all blood pressure medication). The first Malaria medication was made from bird poop. The next generation sounds a little better to take as it is made from tree bark.

The safety issue is a good point. If you do not pick the right remedy it won't do you any good. But it also will not do you any harm.

I think life is more fun if you keep an open mind and learn new things. You never know where something might come in handy.

I think life is more fun if you keep an open mind and learn new things. You never know where something might come in handy.

I don't know about the fun part, but you are so right about keeping an open mind and learning new things.

I can still remember laughing at acupuncture, and even though I was willing to try anything to help one of my boys, I still laughed at it.

I remember listening to the vet explain the flows of energy in the body and how they can be blocked. My first thought was...welcome to the twilight zone

I don't laugh anymore, at that or anything else for that matter, especially things I don't understand or don't believe in

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Bang_o_rama

I don't know about the fun part, but you are so right about keeping an open mind and learning new things.

I can still remember laughing at acupuncture, and even though I was willing to try anything to help one of my boys, I still laughed at it.

I remember listening to the vet explain the flows of energy in the body and how they can be blocked. My first thought was...welcome to the twilight zone

I don't laugh anymore, at that or anything else for that matter, especially things I don't understand or don't believe in

"Keeping an open mind" does not mean believing anything that someone claims, no matter how silly, such as that a solvent, in homeopathy's case water, is able to retain a memory of a solute that has been diluted so much that there is unlikely to be a single molecule left.

~D~