Skin Allergy - I Think It's My Laundry Detergent

Guest LRay82

Hi everyone,

My Amy has quite a lovely shade of red on her behind at the moment - been to the vet, we're all stocked up with medications, etc to "cure" her. But we need to figure out what the cause is. Since I just bought a huge bag of food (and we don't know it's not a food allergy, but she only has this rash on her right "cheek"), I want to try washing the beds/blankets first.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a mild detergent? I'm thinking something organic or all natural, or even a home-brew type of cleaner. I thought maybe just bleech and water, but bleech is very harsh in my mind... so thoughts on whether this would be an anevnue to investigate or not would be helpful.

As always, thanks so much!

Brands aren't the same here in the UK, but I'd suggest switching to a non-bio detergent (one without enzymes). Also, ditch any fabric conditioner you may use. I add a glug of white vinegar to the final rinse instead. I promise you, it DOESN'T leave the washing smelling like fish and chips! Just of nice clean fabric...it is much better for the washing machine too, stops it getting gunked up.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest Energy11

I'd use any of the laundry detergents made for infants and smaller babies. They are very mild and without irritants. My grandson has contact dermatitis, and my DD uses Dreft or Ivory Snow, I think, for babies. Good Luck!

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I just use whatever's on sale and has a nice scent- for me, my baby, my DH, and the dogs. Interesting food for thought. None of us have any issues, though.

Jessie had a nasty eye issue after I switched detergents, and had itchy eyes before that. I switched back to the original detergent and started double-rinsing everything. Seems to have done the trick.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am a very allergic individual. I have found that any of the fragrance free detergents works well for me (Tide Free for example). I did not try the baby formulas. If you use softener, be sure it is fragrance free also.

Have you treated your carpets with anything? Did you have them cleaned recently? I will react to most (if not all) carpet cleaning solutions or deodorizers (like Fabreze). I have to clean the carpets myself with plain hot water.

One last thing, could your dog have rubbed against any poison ivy vines? Even in the winter, rubbing against a vine (no leaves, just the wood) will cause a reaction in me. It usually causes little blisters though.

Hope this helps,

Jane

P.S. If you need to try a limited ingredient dog food: Natural Balance Venison and Potato is the closest "regular" food to a prescription hypoallergenic diet. It is about $52 for 28 pounds (I look for sales). Taste of the Wild is less expensive but contains more ingredients (but still less than normal dog food).

edited to add: You mentioned that you just got a new bag of food. It is possible the formulation changed to include something your dog is allergic to. Or perhaps there is something different about this particular bag. I would consider taking it back and asking for a different bag.

Edited by joejoesmom

As a teenager I found that using Tide gave me red bumps. Now I use All Free & Clear or a scent-free oganic product. I get scent-free for the sake of the dogs, as well, and avoid fabric softener. Imagine how strong those perfumes must be to a dog. I know of people with allergies who use Dreft, and they make it in liquid form too now.

I think your suspicions are sound and this is a good appoach to take. Good luck!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).