Depression

Guest shanabreiter

Guest shanabreiter

Hi:

One of my greys recently passed away. My Daphney (8) hasn't been eating the same since then. We switched her food and she's still very picky but she will still enjoy her treats.

Do you think there's a possibility she's depressed? I would hate to think something is wrong with her too. We normally fed them once a day but did switch to two meals a day during the last month so maybe that's the issue. The reason I switched was because I used to give them many biscuits in the AM but she got bored of that as well because she really wants my cereal. I usually add some chicken, rice, chicken broth, or something to entice her and that does get her going a bit. She will absolutely not eat her kibble without anything added to it.

So, what do you think? I do feel she is definitely aging but she is normally motivated by food. I think if she sat down and ate a meal with us (our food), she would be very happy (LOL). Any thoughts?

I would be more concerned if she didn't eat her treats, but that she consumes happily. So, that leads me back to the depression issue.

It's very possible that she's depressed. Phoenix also stopped eating after Loca passed awa, so i adopted another for him :). are there any local greyhounds that she could hang out with?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

sounds like depression. try finding some other dogs to walk with(even though it's burrrr outside). take her for outings, maybe basic obedience classes or get her certified as a therapy dog. something to fill the time and keep her engaged. we just lost our almost 9 year old to osteo and have re-enrolled our almost 3 year old in agility. we also took in a foster dog, nothing like a little competition to get a spark out of a sad pup. there are lots of hounds off the ma. tracks, what group did you get your dog from? contact them and see if they need a foster.

try things other than food, stimulate her mind and body, winters are hard,they are sooooo darn cold! take advantage of every day above 30 degrees.