Barking/nipping?

I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. About 1 month ago, we got our second greyhound, Frappuccino. She's a 4 year old who never raced. Our first grey, Nico, is 6 years old and a former racer. She is very submissive to him and they seem to get along fairly well together. However, every once in a while, Nico will bark twice at her ("woof, woof") and nip at her ear. (doesn't actually bite her ears, but gets scary close). For the life of me, I can't see what provokes him to do this. She was not looking at him or approaching him in a threatening manner. I "nip" it in the bud (sorry for the bad pun) by standing up, saying a firm "NO" to Nico. Do you think this is problematic? or will escalate? Any advice?

There are times when Lenny and Ekko will be laying down totally ignoring each other.

Lenny will get up not even looking at Ekko and turn around and pounce on her because he knows it gets her going.

Or Lenny is laying down and out of the blue Ekko will run over to him and put her mouth totally around his neck. But it's all in play.

When Lenny first came, he was very intimidated by Wayne because Wayne growels and he does it loud and mean sounding. But, it's his way when he plays and once Lenny figured that out, it doesn't scare him anymore.

Not saying your two are playing, but maybe they are

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless