Attack Of The Oven Dog

The new foster has been here for a month. Cute guy, but he's a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

Although he's always shown a fascination with the Oven Dog, last night he decided Oven Dog was public enemy number one. We had finished making dinner, and all the dogs were crowded in the kitchen, and suddenly Pastiak decided to snarl and snap. He wasn't facing any other dogs, so when I turned around I was surprised to see him bare his teeth, nose to nose with Oven Dog, and bark and snap again.

After recovering from several minutes of paroxysms of laughter, he did it again. And a fourth time. He decided to stop some time after that. Unfortunately, my camera didn't have the memory card in it, or I would have caught it on video.

Of course, it's laugh-your-butt-off funny, but is it dangerous? Should I put an end to it if I see it again? (I know- not until I can post video.)

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest BoogieDown

:lol

Pastiak, you let Oven Dog know who's who in your house! Maybe he was just surprised to see another dog as devastatingly handsome as he is, and doesn't want the competition.

Has he ever reacted to your other dogs? How did your other dogs react to this? If this happened to me, I guess I would work on desensitizing, as I don't want that kind of behavior in my house - especially with other dogs around. He needs to learn to get along with everyone - even scary Oven Dogs.

It's a whole new world for these dogs!

Guest Mooogies

:lol

It's a whole new world for these dogs!

And mine won't even look at herself in the mirror when she stands on my bed waiting for me to play "go get the stuffie"!!!

Sometimes it just breaks my heart that they're so sensitive to things we just assume they should "get". But then again I'm very sensitive too! I'm perfect for a greyhound Mama.

That is hysterical :lol

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Funny! I have to admit I am laughing. We have a dog that lives in our Pepsi cooler (the glass kind that gas stations have) and we have a dog that lives in the bathroom mirror! I don't think mine have discovered the Oven Dog. Come to think of it, I hang a large towel on the oven door handle to dry my hands, and I never use the oven, so that's probably why! They can't see it.

Guest PhillyPups

DonnieDude has loved "Stover" from the moment he first saw him. He gives him kisses. Gremlin, (who joined me on the way home from GIG, so she is not new) on the other hand still goes after "Stover" on a regular basis. She starts with a low rumble growl, then gets absolutely scarey. I figure either she dislikes Stover, or she knows how bad my cooking is. :rofl:rofl

A few people have heard her.

Guest mcsheltie

When Breeze first came she attacked the mirror dog several times in the middle of the night and scared the bejezzus out of me. She's never looked crosswise at any of our real dogs.

Pastiak has fended off Oven Dog twice more today- once while he was right behind me, where I couldn't see him. I keep forgetting I can't turn my back on this dog because he'll either be in the trash or talking trash to Oven Dog.

Has he ever reacted to your other dogs? How did your other dogs react to this?

Well, Minerva got a bite on her head that we can't attribute to any of the other dogs. I'm surprised Pastiak survived that event, but I can't find a mark on him. (Two days ago, he was SCREAMING out in the hallway, and wouldn't stop for about a full minute; best we can guess is somehow he offended Coco, who must've warned him- there was a tiny wet spot on Pastiak's shoulder, with no sign of blood. As the rule goes- the volume of complaint is in inverse proportion to the actual injury.)

As for how the other dogs react when Pastiak goes off- they don't do much of anything, surprisingly. The UPS truck or a doorbell is like the storming of the beach at Normandy, but Pastiak warning the pack that ZOMG THERE'S A DOG IN THE OVEN AND HE'S TRYING TO KILL ME doesn't even register with the others.

I gotta get video of this, followed by a dish towel for the oven door.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Frankendog

Oh that would SO make my day if I could see a video of that!!! :lol Frankie has reacted a couple of times to the fireplace dog but that's about it.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Carol, your darling would spend lots and lots of time talking smack to that pretty girl in the mirror. :rolleyes::lol

I guess she's decided that she's ok to just give the whatfor to in the abbreviated sense. :lol

No one has seemed preoccupied with the stove, but the full length mirror is perpetually covered in nose prints when we have fosters. :P

JJ is fascinated with Dishwasher dog, will stare and stare and of course sniff her which means my hobby is wiping DD nose prints. Last night she took it to a new level. It is bitter cold here so I put her white hooded coat on her and she got a glimpse of herself in it and would not move from in front of the dishwasher for at least ten minutes. We were laughing so hard because she never moved, just stared so intently. She is a very pretty red girl with a black face and the dishwasher is shiny black so I think this "white" dog stood out even more.

Guest 4dogscrazy

ha ha thanks so much for the laughs guys! My oven door doesn't have a window, never really thought about it before, and this is hysterical. Part of me wishes it does!

Laddie is familiar with the Oven Dog and even the Oven humans but doesn't get excited, just casually stares at them and then back at us. Probably uncertain as to how we can be in two places at once.

Oh wow...that's funny!

I'd be inclined to think that, as long as he doesn't turn that craziness AT your girls, it's probably just a case of "silly dog!" and not a big deal.

When I lived at my parents' place, I had a full length mirror. Ace never paid much attention to it, nor did Fritz. But my little buddy Neighbor Natalie stayed with me a few times over some weekends (she was a kennel resident and we had to take in some extra dogs on an emergency basis, so, since she was easy to take home with me, I'd bring her home and make some kennel room for a newbie) and she LOVED that mirror. She would notice herself in it, perk her ears, and look at herself...then she would *jerk* a little bit and gauge the mirror dog's reaction to that. Then she'd do it again, but a little more severely. This would go on for a few minutes before she would then begin to bark at mirror dog, wildly swinging her tail around :lol Quite the character, that one. Her family enjoys her silliness thoroughly :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

This is such a funny thread because we have a fireplace dog, he only lives there when the glass doors are closed. Henry will walk back and forth giving him the stink eye and a little growl every now and then. Even when the fireplace is on and the doors are open, which means the fireplace dog is not home, Henry will not lay there. Our oldest senior boy Sean doesn't give a hoot about the fireplace dog, if that fireplace is burning he has his old bones in front of it.

Of course, it's laugh-your-butt-off funny, but is it dangerous? Should I put an end to it if I see it again? (I know- not until I can post video.)

It might be a little dangerous for the over door's paint job. I really don't think you can find a way to put an end to it. He figures that something is wrong with the Oven Dog, he doesn't have the right scent. Who ever heard of a dog smelling like a Rump Roast.

Paul with Bill & Elmo & angel Happy

in the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY

I'd only worry if the glass on the oven door was hot--I wouldn't want the dog to burn itself. Otherwise, I'm not sure there's a danger, unless you're worried about socialization issues.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest LindsaySF

When I first adopted Teagan he would growl at himself in the glass door in our kitchen (at night when the inside lights were on he could see his own reflection). It was funny for the most part, but I didn't want any redirection incidents (we have a lot of redirecters in this house). I would call him away from it and distract him with toys or food or something. I also gave him a treat whenever he went up to his reflection and didn't growl. He eventually got over it, I guess he was annoyed that the dog in the door never moved....