Another Preparation Question

Guest NJgrey

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, but my fiancee and I are making preparations for our first hound and I have another question.

This would be our first dog so we don't have experience with a vet in our area. All adoption applications ask for vet references/ info - what do new adopters do with this section? Research a vet and put their info in? Leave it blank and discuss the issue specifically with the group? Again, sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm just trying to make sure we have all the details ironed out before proceeding.

Thanks!

I would definitely research a vet in advance, as it's generally considered a good idea to take your new grey to the vet for a "get-acquainted visit" and checkup soon after adopting him/her. You definitely don't want to wait until s/he gets sick! And you want to find a vet who is experienced/knowledgeable about greyhounds. If your adoption group is right in your area they can probably help you with that, though, or if not folks here might be able to give suggestions if any of them live in your area.

If you don't currently have other pets the group will certainly understand that the vet can't be a "reference." I had my cats' (cats-only) vet for that, but I did decide in advance what vet I was going to take Beth to -- I stopped by to visit the facilities of and talk with the top contenders. (I guess I was approved for the adoption at that point, but I hadn't brought her home yet.)

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Thanks PraireProf,

I know we'd definitely need to take the new arrival for an initial visit, it's more a matter of choosing a vet when you don't have prior dog experience. Would it make sense to shoot an email off to the adoption group to ask for suggestions?

You will need to find a greyhound savy vet, not just a vet. Ask other greyhound owners in the area. Call the vets and ask how many greyhounds they currently treat. Ask the adoption group to recommend a greyhounds savy vet in you area.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

But I think it's also a matter of finding a good, up-to-date, caring vet who has top-notch facilities and seems caring and available -- and ideally, has emergency coverage, because sooner or later you're going to need that! Yes, it is important to know about greyhounds, but it's not like the main information is that hard to learn (you'll learn it yourself by reading this board!).

My vet has, I think, only two greyhounds in his current practice but I think he's wonderful, extremely smart and caring, and his facility does high-level treatments that otherwise are only done at my state's veterinary school several hours away. He also does alternative medicine like acupuncture, and many of us have found that very helpful. Some vets offer boarding services -- is that something you think you might need even as a backup? What about grooming (I take Beth to my vet's in-house groomer for the occasional bath, figuring anyone they'd hire is probably more qualified/trustworthy than someone at, say, Petsmart, plus she'd be at the vet's already should anything go amiss)? So yes, greyhound experience is important, but I wouldn't make it the sole criterion. Pick a place/vet you're comfortable with in ALL ways.

But absolutely, ask the group for suggestions. If they aren't right in your area they might even ask other adopters in your area who they see -- that happened to me, once, as I'm the main active adopter for my group who lives in my city.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Greyglo

GFNJ may be able to help you with that and/or know of other Hudson County owners who can suggest a greyt vet.

Hope your adoption process goes quickly!

Ask your adoption group to recommend a greyhound saavy vet in your area. If you live close enough to the adoption group you may want to use their vet. It's important to have a vet that knows greyhounds because a lot of their blood values are different than other breeds.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

Ask your adoption group to recommend a greyhound saavy vet in your area. If you live close enough to the adoption group you may want to use their vet. It's important to have a vet that knows greyhounds because a lot of their blood values are different than other breeds.

This is what I was going to say and leave the line blank on the application

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17