2 Osteo/amp Questions

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

If you read the Apollo thread, you know why I'm asking...

We've been through one amp, but Whitey's tumor was in his proximal humerus (shoulder bone), and Apollo's is in the distal radius (wrist).

So -- When the lesion is way down toward the wrist joint, do they still amputate the entire leg including the shoulder?

Also -- has anyone ever had the limb-sparing surgery done on their dog? Where they remove the affected section of bone and insert a grafted bone or rod, and then fuse the wrist joint to stabilize everything, but keep the leg? Just curious what kind of process/outcome people may have experienced. I'm not sure yet whether that's even an option for us, but researching it.

Thanks!!

Jen

I'll be curious what you hear on this Jen. I had questioned Dr. Couto about this when we were at OSU, but b/c Smiley was not a candidate we didn't get much info. Have you emailed him for thoughts? Again, I am so very sorry you are going through this yet again.

I don't have any information on limb sparing (but my gut feeling - knowing the little that I know from reading a tiny bit on the net - is that it wouldn't be something I would do. I don't think.).

Darcys osteo was in her front right distal radius and her entire LEG was removed but her scapula (shoulder) was left in. I suspect that its even bigger surgery to remove the scapula and if it doesn't need to be removed, they often won't (but I suspect this depends on your vets own feelings on such matters). In Darcys case it has worked out totally fine.

Best of luck :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

They would remove the entire leg, but the shoulder is kind of up to the surgeon. Jesse's surgeon prefers to remove the shoulder to make it easier for the dog to shift his weight to the other leg (less weight on the side without a front leg).

I have no experience with limb sparing surgery but I believe there was some good information at BoneCancer.org.

Good Luck with your boys. I truly believe that these 'special' dogs find their way to you for a reason.

Measure wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Morgan's osteo was in his distal radius. I asked why the whole leg was taken and the surgeon told me that stumps tend to cause more problems. They catch on things, etc... I'm not sure if it's the same logic for taking the shoulder blade. Both of my front leg amps had their shoulder blades removed and they had different surgeons.

Guest GryffinSong

From what I've read about it, I'd be interested in the limb saving surgery if Gryffin were a candidate, and depending on the cost. I think it was Dr. Couto's site that said it had as good a success as amputation in terms of pain relief, but you're left with a four-legged dog. I'd need to see more information, but it certainly sounds intrigueing.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Oops, the web site with information about the limb-spare procedure is Bone Cancer Dogs.org. There is a link on the left side of the screen to a page with detailed info, including xrays.

Good Luck!

Measure wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money.

If you read the Apollo thread, you know why I'm asking...

We've been through one amp, but Whitey's tumor was in his proximal humerus (shoulder bone), and Apollo's is in the distal radius (wrist).

So -- When the lesion is way down toward the wrist joint, do they still amputate the entire leg including the shoulder?

Marvin's was also in the wrist and they removed the whole leg including the shoulder.

Sending prayers

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS

They do take the whole leg for two reason, both of which have been mentioned. Stumps at the shoulder can get caught on things and also rub on the floor which can break the skin leaving them open to infection. The other is reducing the weight on the amp side helps the dogs shift their weight easier.

I know from chatting informally with Dr Couto that he prefers amputation to limb saving. Recovery is quicker and easier.

My personal feeling is if there is cancer in a limb I want it all gone. The chance of successfully beating it is to be aggressive.

Whatevery you decide to do you have my support, let me know if there is anything I can do.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.