Long Term Deramaxx Use?

Guest mpportraits

Guest mpportraits

My sweet baby girl Phoebe had a few incidents when we first got her with nipping at my boys when they got too close to her. I took her to the vet because I figured I'd look at all aspects. Well, they did an xray and found she has a depressed backbone that fused that way. He said it's probably been hurting her to go to the bathroom and that when the boys got to close to her backside, she reacted. So, we've got her on Deramaxx permanently. Does anyone see a problem for greyhounds with this? She seems better on it but I just want to check with the "grey" peeps, get an idea of what you all think?

Guest Energy11

I know of a lot of people who have their greys on Deramaxx on Rimadyl for chronic arthritis. I would be sure to get bloodwork about every four months, to be sure it isn't effecting the liver or kidneys. Also, I give mine with a Pepcid AC for the tummy! Good Luck!

Norm came to us on Deramaxx. When we tried to wean him off (we had NO idea why he was on it to begin with) he got really stiff and slow. We've actually now got him off the Deramaxx and on Tramadol.

Tanner started with a limp summer 09. On Deramaxx for a period of time. Then off. Limp started again. Tried that 2 more times. Now we've got Tanner on Deramaxx permanently. 25 mg/d unless the limp is really bad and we up it to 50.

Neither have shown any adverse reactions.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

We had Smiley on it for 2-3 years. We gave him 1/2 tab every other day in the summer and then every day in the winter when he would get really stiff. He did just fine with it, but I agree that a blood workup now and again would be a good idea. He did noticably better with it than without.

Guest gryhnd3

We had our female on it for awhile, I would say at least 2 yrs (along with Tramadol). I don't think we did bloodwork every 4-6 months, but she never had any side effects that we were aware of. We have had a male on it now since April and the vet is running bloodwork now (to check everything, not just because he's on Dermaxx)- HOWEVER, this current vet (administers acupuncture to him) said that usually it will stop being quite as effective after awhile, and you'll need to switch to a different med, and then after awhile, switch again. I haven't heard this from other vets.