Complications For Milo

No news yet on the bone biopsy that Milo had on Friday - we hadn't expected any news for a few days, though. By Sunday, he was back to his bouncy self - didn't seem to have much pain, enjoyed his walk, was eating and sleeping well. Last night though, he got up twice in the night for diarrhea, and wasn't interested in breakfast. He had one more bout of diarrhea mid-morning, but it didn't seem unusual, so I gave him his day's dose of Metacam. (He'd had it Friday, Saturday, Sunday and then this morning.) About an hour later, he went out to poop again, but this time it was blood. Not bloody diarrhea, but bright red liquid - and quite a bit of it. We zoomed him to the vet who did a fecal smear and said there was a lot of bacteria in his tummy. She said the stress of the past few days (he's *very* nervous away from home and the surgery was hard on him) and maybe the Metacam could cause this. She gave us oral antibiotics and sent us home.

Once at home, pooped more blood and then vomited. We phoned vet. She offered two more oral meds - one for diarrhea and one to coat the stomach. More blood. More vomiting. Continued throughout the afternoon. Couldn't get him to keep even the liquid meds down. The poor guy was just miserable and, it seemed to me, getting weak. Finally, at supper time we brought him to the emergency vet hospital.

We got a wonderful, confident, reassuring vet who said we were right to bring him in and that they see a lot of this with intestinal issues. She said they would keep him at least overnight, give him IV fluids and stomach meds by IV, since he can't keep even water down. I HATE to be away from him, but he was so sick, he couldn't even work himself up into his usual panting, trembling self at he vet - he just laid down on the floor. It broke my heart. But there's a vet and vet techs to monitor him all night and they know what they're doing - I can't take care of him at home like they can.

So once again, I'm asking for prayers for my handsome man (and a few for me, because I am a wreck!) We love our hounds so much, they bring us such joy... it's excruciating to be unable to help them when they're sick.

Just wanted to post this because I knew you would all understand.

Here's a picture of Milo from a happier day, modeling my two year old niece's ballet tutu:

Milotut1.jpg

Thanks to all,

Patti.

Patti - you guys are in my prayers for sure. Most of us have been "there" with our hounds and don't second guess yourself for a second about your decision to bring him in. No question it sounds like he really needed to go and now he'll be able to get better that much quicker. Hang in there - he is in great hands.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Sending prayers for your beautiful boy. Please let us know how he's doing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Sending prayers and light to your sweet Milo, to help him through this crisis. :hope:heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

:goodluck for Milo and :grouphug for you.

It sounds like he's in the right place. Now he just has to respond to the meds quickly so he can come home.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Poor guy, he's had a rough go of it. Here's hoping today's a much better day for your guy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Poor Milo! Poor you!

You did the VERY best thing, getting him into the vets, though. Without being able to keep anything down, he would get dehydrated VERY fast, and become even sicker. IV fluids are "good stuff!" :-)

Sending you two our love and prayers! Dee and The Five

Oh sweet Milo! Another compromising wonderful picture of him! :lol

Glad he's at the vets - are they suspecting the Metacam? I hope he's able to come home very soon. :getwell:hope

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis