Transporting Our Grey

Guest billschoe

Guest billschoe

The only time we have taken Bizzy in our SUV, she got her front paws into the back, but I had to boost her rear up to get her in. Any sugestions?

To those of you who replied to my insurance inquiry, many thanks.

Is there something wrong with doing it that way?

Mine jump in but none of my fosters do so I put them in the way you do

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Most females can jump. When racing, most females are kept in top crates so they're taught to jump. You can use a little piece of treat if she's motivated, and hold it with you hand where she can see it and tell her "jump up", when she does treat her. Hopefully she'll jump right in. If that doesn't work, get her attention and throw the treat in the back, she should jump in to get it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest bigbrindlebunny

Try having someone on the other end (guess they're perched on the rear seats) hold the leash, some treats in an extended hand, and call her name while gently tugging a few times on the leash. Keep that up and eventually she should get the idea.

For us it was worth teaching Pete how to jump up on his own into our Civic. I'm not that strong and I was afraid I'd hurt him someday trying to pick up his hindquarters and launch him into the car.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Another common command that I have heard used at the kennels is "Kennel UP". Walk your female at a quick pace towards the back of your open truck, then before you get there, issue the "Kennel UP" command and inflex your voice. She should jump up. If not, back up, show her a treat, then repeat, and just as you issue the command, toss the treat into the back of the truck. This should work. If not, then have someone in the truck coaxing her into the truck as well as you repeating the same steps. Good luck.

Chad