Guinness Is At Vets Overnight

Guest dragontearz

Guest dragontearz

2286312770105367259S600x600Q85.jpg

Well, I took Guinness in for his shots last week, and the vet that saw us noticed that his teeth were in bad need of a cleaning and he also noticed his nails, which started splitting and falling off the end of September..I knew I needed to do something about his teeth and especially his nails, but the day before Thanksgiving they shut down where I work for good after being laid off 6 or the months since the start of 2009 by September..money has been beyond tight and I had been putting off having Guinness taken care of until I could close out my 401K..I know, I know, not the best idea but I only had a grand in there, and Guinness needed work done.

They ended up pulling eight teeth, and when they went to cut his nails back, the vet discovered it wasn't SLO, but something that starts with a K or at least a K sound, and he's seen in greyhounds before..he said it basically makes the entire nail have a brittle honeycomb structure, and when he took one in his fingers and twisted it with a bit of force (when he was knocked out, he saw the look on my face and assured me is wasn't done hard just with his fingers), it crumbled..he had to remove the nail on every toe back to the start of it in each toe, then cauterize...

I took him there at 8am this morning, and hung around within a few miles at various stores and malls to keep my mind off of him, sitting at home would have done no good worrying...I called at 2, they said he was doing good but still wobbly and to come pick him up at 5pm..When I got there the vet took me into a back room and explained what he had to do, and that the procedure and dental should have cost a lot more than it did..I told him about my job situation and he was very sympathetic to my situation, and told me when i do take him home, to bring him in every other day for the rest of the week to change the bandages on his feet and to see how his feet are doing...

I feel so bad...Guinness helped me through the worst period of social anxiety and depression in my life, and while I still have the social anxiety problems, having Guinness with me makes them fade away to nothing..I'm scared to lose him and I know what I did was in his best interest at the vets today, but I don't know how I'm going to deal with the day when he leaves me for good..just thinking about it has me literally sobbing..gaah..

Edited by dragontearz

Guest adriahna

So many prayers for Guinness, and for you. I completely understand what you mean by saying that he's brought you so much comfort in some dark times - Brick's that way for me, too. Hang in there, and know that you have a lot of support here at GT.

Guest Energy11

I feel THE EXACT same way about my Curfew ... the others too, but especially Curfew. You see, I lost my husband Bob in 2002, then, two years later, my first greyhound, Energy ... then, the next day, we found and adopted Curfew.

I spent the last 15 years of my life as a paramedic, then, vet tech ... now, I stay here on my mountain, taking care of my Greyts! Glad I am able to do this!

I DO know how you feel! I do!!!!!!!!!!! Curfew had another one of his "episodes," ... for lack of better wording, because there is no true diagnosis ... I cannot sleep, and I worry ALL the time! I KNOW how you are feeling!

Just know that you did the right thing for Guinness today, and you and he will have many wonderful days together! Always hug him, kiss him, and, whisper "I Love You," in his ears ...

Sending lots of love, hugs and good wishes ... Dee and My Five

:grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

:grouphug

I hope he recovers quickly and well.

:kiss2 Guinness.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest FullMetalFrank

Wishing a speedy recovery for your pup. Your vet sounds like a good one; there are a lot of us in the same financial boat and it's nice to still be able to care for our pets.

Guest Adrianne

I don't know how I'm going to deal with the day when he leaves me for good..just thinking about it has me literally sobbing..gaah..

Don't think about that day. Think about all the wonderful days you and Guinness have ahead of you. Together.

Sending lots and lots of good thoughts to you and Guinness. getwell.gif

Good thoughts for both you and Guinness. We wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds