Two New Fosters And Muzzles

Guest freightsmom

Guest freightsmom

We just got two beautiful boys yesterday in our home to foster. And, this is the first time we've fostered even though we've had our greys for 3 years.

I knew adding two boys to my one male would result in a marking party so everyone has belly bands on, got that covered.

Everyone also has muzzles on and so far a couple of rumbles and growls but nothing major. One of the new boys is so goofy and sweet that when he goes to sit or lay, he plops over like a deaf fish out of water...LOL. The problem is he is not usually aware of where he will land and sometimes it's on one of the other dogs.

I'm struggling with when to take the muzzles off as they all get use to each other and the new dynamics of the pack. Any suggestions or experiences are much appreciated as this is new territory for me and DH!

BTW, I know the rules and I'll work on getting pics of them up soon :)

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

If you have had them for more than 24 hours with the muzzles on and a fight hasn't broken out, then you probably can relax a bit. You may hear the occasional "complaint" from one or another hound, but just be aware of why the growl was issued, dint instantly correct it. It may be that the goofy one that doesn't know where his rump is needs to be taught that he has to pay attention to his rear end. I have a male hound that will correct any foster in our house that attempts to join him on the sofa. It has always been a grumble, or an air-snap, but never more than that. Also take into consideration the dynamics as it relates to your existing hound, is he laid back, or a higher energy boy (if they actually exist). Of course there is too much to go into on this post as to the hierarchy of pack dynamics and such, but the short of it, I would think that as long as they have not had any major outbursts in the first day or two, then the muzzles could probably come off (in the house under supervision). I would not allow toys or bones or treats to be laid out anywhere until they are settled in though.