Benadryl For Licking

Guest StormChaser

Guest StormChaser

We have had Storm for almost 3 years with periods of licking spots on her legs until raw. I think it is a food allergy issue. She was on Beneful when we got her, she had a sore on the inside of her back leg. We switched to a better grade of kibble, chicken and rice, this caused soft poops but the licking seemed to stop. So we went back to Beneful, good poops but eventually more licking. I don't like the ingredients in Beneful so we tried a lamb and rice formula, soft poops and less licking. Back to Beneful, same story. I want to try Benadryl to see if the licking stops, if it does then we will work on finding a kibble that will help the soft poop issue. What do you think?

Also, based on what I have read she would get about 116 mg of Benadryl (4mg/kg, she is 29kg). Seem like a lot?

Guest sja5032

I was told 1 mg for every 1lbs of weight so unless she weighs 116lbs that seems like a lot. There are other opinions out there that is just what I was told.

Benadryl can be a big help, Wayne is on 100mg every 8 hours all summer for his seasonal allergies.

But, if in fact it's a food allergy, I doubt Benadryl will bring any relief.

Good luck, allergies can drive ya nuts

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I have no clue what 29 kgs is (cause I'm ignorant and also too lazy to look it up!)...but a regular sized Greyhound can safely take two pink Benedryl pills a couple of times a day--but frankly, what you describe doesn't sound like a food allergy to me.

She could have any kind of allergy--or none at all. Once a dog gets a "hot spot," they tend to lick and lick and lick it. And they tend to get staph infections at said hot spots! Some dogs get what amounts to OCD about their hot spots--

I'd suggest a trip to the vet. They can give you a topical spray to help eliminate the itch, a short course of antibiotics, and an educated opinion on whether it could be allergies or not.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Energy11

Cari was constantly "chewing" herself, and her poops were pudding-like, to watery. We switched about a week ago to Canidae grain free kibble and canned. I already see a difference in her coat, chewing herself, and her poops. Another GH friend in Florida, who has JoDee the crazy, (now 2) Greyhound puppy, had to do the same. You can TRY the Benedryl, surely couldn't hurt, but it probably is the food. Here is where I buy Cari's: http://www.petfooddirect.com/search/canidae-grain-free

Good Luck!

Guest arlosmom

I have a grey who licks himself bloody, no allergies.I feed a high grade kibble. We tried benedryl at first but it appeared to be OCD and the vet said it would only work for a short time. We also tried amitryptiline (not sure I spelled this right) and clomicalm. We finally settled on prosac and that stopped it for a while, he started again and we upped his dosage. He is now on 30 mg twice a day and the problem has resolved. He has been on this drug for a long time now with no ill effects and is a very happy dog.

Edited by arlosmom